Chiang Mai Airport crowned third place in 2016 Airport Service Quality Awards

webfact

Chiang Mai Airport crowned third place in 2016 Airport Service Quality Awards

By Coconuts Bangkok 

co.jpg

Photo: David McKelvey/ Flickr

CHIANG MAI: -- After surveying airport passengers around the world, the 2016 Airport Service Quality Awards have awarded third place in their Best Airport by Size category to the airport of Thailand’s creative city.

Airports Council International (ACI) announced on Monday that Chiang Mai Airport came in third in the Best Airport by Size category for airports that handle 5-15 million passengers per year. It is the only Thai airport to make the list.

First place within the category was a tie between the Hyderabad International Airport in India and the Tianjin Binhai International Airport in China.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/chiang-mai-airport-crowned-third-place-2016-airport-service-quality-awards/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-03-09

14 hours ago, Saraphee said:

There must be some really awful places around.............

Yes there are.  CM is the nicest small airport I use and better than a lot of large ones.  Having just flown out of Saigon (much busier than CM of course) I really appreciate not standing in an immigration and security queue over 100m long that took one hour and twenty five minutes to get through.  Horrendous food that cost a fortune - same as all airports I guess.   But I have even developed a dread of Changi - I get a five hour stopover both ways on every trip home.  When I arrive at CM I am always pleased to be back and when I leave a little depressed, so that may account for my liking it.

What I like about CM Airport is the ground staff. Twice while visiting Chiang Mai I had to go to the airport to change my return ticket; both times a smiling young woman took care of it in about 90 seconds. Kudos to those girls and all the efficient, smiling service sector young women in the city itself.

3 hours ago, Mousehound said:

Yes there are.  CM is the nicest small airport I use and better than a lot of large ones.  Having just flown out of Saigon (much busier than CM of course) I really appreciate not standing in an immigration and security queue over 100m long that took one hour and twenty five minutes to get through.  Horrendous food that cost a fortune - same as all airports I guess.   But I have even developed a dread of Changi - I get a five hour stopover both ways on every trip home.  When I arrive at CM I am always pleased to be back and when I leave a little depressed, so that may account for my liking it.

You've clearly never traveled through CNX during high season or around holidays. Took me 90 minutes to just get through security at one occasion and I nearly missed my flight.  CNX is good most of the time but it can't handle heavy periods at all. 

I've traveled the world for 40 years outside my home country. You know--one of those professional TEFLers with the appropriate degrees, teaching at universities, companies and military bases. (Retired--"Goodbye to All That"). Anyway the worst airport I've ever seen was Iligan City airport in the Philippines. What a nightmare. Serving the region it does, including Cagayan d'Oro down the road, it should be 5 times larger. There was literally standing room only similar to being at a rock concert, all crushed together Then the power went out along with the air conditioning. I wondered what the hell I was doing there...and wondered how long this hell would last. The power came on after about half an hour to 45 minutes, something like that. I'm never flying there again. If I wanted to visit a woman I should have chosen Chiang Mai, for God's sake.

Just came back from K.L on friday and I was impressed with the organized and even "friendly" manner I was guided through immigration....ezee-pezee.

However, the place needs a serious facelift to handle the traffic congestion outside...not to mention parking.

• 4 months later...

At 2,30 pm today CM Airport looked nothing like the picture or rating I can assue you.

From the vehicle entrance it took 10 mins to get to the "International"  security check in  to drop our friend off it had over a dozen people,spilling onto the road waiting  to get bags checked.

After saying good bye it took us another 10 minutes to get out the other gate.The footpath was shoulder to shoulder with those trying to get transport, vans,taxis and private cars double parked trying to find their customers/friends and a few guys blowing whistles. They cant seriously believe the life span of this airport is another 10 years and I know there are plans to expand facilities but this is low season for heaven sakes.Parking about 10 spots left of you were quick

Archived