Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

From nut sellers to loan sharks - cops call time on Indians whose time in Thailand is over


rooster59

Recommended Posts

From nut sellers to loan sharks - cops call time on Indians whose time in Thailand is over

 

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1A55X5PgQcUFz3AvXAmTHc3sLhqbh.jpg

Image: Thairath

 

Police and military men raided a building in downtown Nakorn Pathom Friday after complaints that a group of Indians were loan sharking.

As the raiding party arrived at the address on the Prapa - Na Sang Road the startled Indians scattered in all directions.

But nine were soon rounded up and taken into the police station. Many accounts books were found in their rooms along with cash in plastic bags.

Police learnt that they had been selling cloth, running a hire purchase scheme and loan sharking. Locals had complained they were being asked to fork out interest of 10% per day which is against the law.

Police further discovered that  the Indians had no right of abode and many had passports that had long since run out of date.

They said that what had started as a small business for many of them selling nuts had developed over the years into a thriving community preying illegally on the Nakorn Pathom locals.

 

Source: Thairath

 

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-11
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Of course that If I to owe lots of money to a loan shark, and a foreign

one in this case, I would have dobbed him in too, what a an easy way

to pay your debts....

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

 

Of course that If I to owe lots of money to a loan shark, and a foreign

one in this case, I would have dobbed him in too, what a an easy way

to pay your debts....

And rightly so. They have no right to be loaning money.

Lets hope many more of them get fleeced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BIB, There were 6 Indian Loan Sharks on Cowboy last night around 7pm.  2 armed police, not the rent a cops that show up at 8pm, walked right past one of them gretting paid by a waitress at the Lighthouse and never batted an eyelash.  THere must be some "protection" available.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ezzra said:

 

Of course that If I to owe lots of money to a loan shark, and a foreign

one in this case, I would have dobbed him in too, what a an easy way

to pay your debts....

I think you'll find the RTP now have his book and one of their representatives will be collecting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup sound reasonable Sell nuts and the guy buying the nuts cannot afford them so the seller says pay me next time with 10 % fee

 

Not seeing anything wrong with it the buy agrees but the seller does not collect till the end of the month WOW 300 % markup

 

Leave it to the Indians to do this 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand is perceived to some in the big wide world  as the land of rip offs , so this attracts trash like flies , they even plan for years to come to Thailand for the sole reason of exploiting any avenue they can and it doesn't help that  Thai  leaders are held in such poor light ...................................................:coffee1:

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about all the Indians and nepalese working illegally in Phuket in professions reserved for Thais ? Jungceylon is bursting with them at selling stalls, go and have a look in Kata as well. This has been going on for God knows how long, and I find it hard to believe that they don't know about this......What ho ! but perish the thought if I forget to do my 90 day reporting for my wp-related visa, or if my accountant would be late lodging VAT and other taxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

So the stage became free for the local loan sharks again - how comforting ....... 

And as the BIB have the loan books in hand, I wonder if they'll be auctioned off to the highest bidder?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Where the <deleted> am I going to get a suit made now ?

 

Definitely at your own risk. 

 

A ninety 90% chance the cloth used to make your suit will not be the cloth you selected.

 

Maybe 10 or 12 years back my old boss visited the Bkk office (first time ever in Asia) and was accosted by an Indian man in the mall attached to our office building.

 

Boss was convinced in 5 minutes, selected some quite nice cloth for a suit and 2 or 3 pairs of trousers and several shirts then he returned to the office to proclaim his good luck.  Another farang in the office said 'did you get small samples of the cloth that was agreed'. Answer: NO.

 

They immediately went back to the Indian shop and got the usual 'not necessary sir', 'we will take care of you sir' etc. They made further demands for cloth samples, Indian guy refused to oblige. Second farang took out his phone and said he was calling the police. Then suddenly samples given.

 

Three of four days later both farang returned to the shop, clothes all finished. They compared the cloth samples, sure enough much cheaper very poor quality cloth used for all the finished clothes. Such poor quality nobody would want to wear the clothes.  

 

Second farang called the police station nearby,  police arrived quickly, police instructed Indians to return all deposits paid and compensate the farang for his time and inconvenience with 10,000Baht cash.  Police also called for backup and all the stock and fittings were thrown on the back of trucks. Senior Police guy mentioned they had been called to same shop several times before. Shop never restarted in the same mall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Where the <deleted> am I going to get a suit made now ?

 

Definitely at your own risk. 

 

A ninety 90% chance the cloth used to make your suit will not be the cloth you selected.

 

Maybe 10 or 12 years back my old boss visited the Bkk office (first time ever in Asia) and was accosted by an Indian man in the mall attached to our office building.

 

Boss was convinced in 5 minutes, selected some quite nice cloth for a suit and 2 or 3 pairs of trousers and several shirts then he returned to the office to proclaim his good luck.  Another farang in the office said 'did you get small samples of the cloth that was agreed'. Answer: NO.

 

They immediately went back to the Indian shop and got the usual 'not necessary sir', 'we will take care of you sir' etc. They made further demands for cloth samples, Indian guy refused to oblige. Second farang took out his phone and said he was calling the police. Then suddenly samples given.

 

Three of four days later both farang returned to the shop, clothes all finished. They compared the cloth samples, sure enough much cheaper very poor quality cloth used for all the finished clothes. Such poor quality nobody would want to wear the clothes.  

 

Second farang called the police station nearby, police arrived quickly, police instructed Indians to return all deposits paid and compensate the farang for his time and inconvenience with 10,000Baht.  Police also called backup and all the stock and fittings thrown on the back of trucks. Shop never restarted in same mall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The numbers of these nut, watch, trinket, etc bicycle riding "salesmen" (cockroaches) are growing even out here in Samut Prakan. There is a certain hotel off of Suk that provides safe entry and accommodations for a certain fee.
Once they are here seem to just stay forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kurtsie said:

BIB, There were 6 Indian Loan Sharks on Cowboy last night around 7pm.  2 armed police, not the rent a cops that show up at 8pm, walked right past one of them gretting paid by a waitress at the Lighthouse and never batted an eyelash.  THere must be some "protection" available.......

The BIB more than likely have an arrest "queue" number attached to them. Don't want to overdo things at one time save some for later. Great photo ops the "BIB" in action ho hum. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Don't let king Naam see this . Only last week he was protecting his brethren on another post when I mentioned the nut sellers have been loan sharks in Thailand for donkeys years !! Nut selling always has been a front for rip off loan sharking. 

"Nut selling always has been a front for rip off loan sharking. "

Simple, if you don't have the cashew go to a loan shark who sells nuts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Where the  am I going to get a suit made now ?

Well if it looked like the outfits they are wearing I'd say you had a lucky escape![emoji4]
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scorecard said:

 

Definitely at your own risk. 

 

A ninety 90% chance the cloth used to make your suit will not be the cloth you selected.

 

Maybe 10 or 12 years back my old boss visited the Bkk office (first time ever in Asia) and was accosted by an Indian man in the mall attached to our office building.

 

Boss was convinced in 5 minutes, selected some quite nice cloth for a suit and 2 or 3 pairs of trousers and several shirts then he returned to the office to proclaim his good luck.  Another farang in the office said 'did you get small samples of the cloth that was agreed'. Answer: NO.

 

They immediately went back to the Indian shop and got the usual 'not necessary sir', 'we will take care of you sir' etc. They made further demands for cloth samples, Indian guy refused to oblige. Second farang took out his phone and said he was calling the police. Then suddenly samples given.

 

Three of four days later both farang returned to the shop, clothes all finished. They compared the cloth samples, sure enough much cheaper very poor quality cloth used for all the finished clothes. Such poor quality nobody would want to wear the clothes.  

 

Second farang called the police station nearby,  police arrived quickly, police instructed Indians to return all deposits paid and compensate the farang for his time and inconvenience with 10,000Baht cash.  Police also called for backup and all the stock and fittings were thrown on the back of trucks. Senior Police guy mentioned they had been called to same shop several times before. Shop never restarted in the same mall. 

Unfortunate.   I use Majestic Tailor over on Sukhumvit by the Sheraton.  Great service and wonderful cloth.  Been using them for about ten years now, highly recommend them.  High integrity and warm owners.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

They will get deported and back to the slum in India. 

 

The good Indians in Thailand are the ones paying taxes , and in the tailor business. They have lived here for generations. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, balo said:

They will get deported and back to the slum in India. 

 

The good Indians in Thailand are the ones paying taxes , and in the tailor business. They have lived here for generations. 

 

 

 

 

Indians paying taxes?

 

The good ones are in the tailor business?

 

I've had a number of dealings with Indians both in Thailand and in India and not because of direct  / my choice.

 

Sorry but not high on my list.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...