Airport baggage security - Suvarnabhumi may go it alone within two years

rooster59

Airport baggage security - Suvarnabhumi may go it alone within two years

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1A55X5ybtSSEYh8KMw7IXAtSgJTn1.jpg

Image: Thairath

The director of Suvarabhumi airport has said that contractors responsible for baggage handling at the Bangkok airport may be sacked if there are repeats of tampering incidents.

Sirot Duangrat was speaking at a press conference following video and picture reports on social media and complaints from members of the public about items going missing from luggage at the airport.

He  reported that investigations had taken place examining operations at carousels inside and outside the terminal but there was no hard evidence yet and no one had been caught.

Investigations were ongoing, he said, as the airport placed the safety of passengers and their belongings as a number one priority.

Bangkok Flight Services - the contractor that handles baggage at the airport said they had done nothing wrong.

Sirot said that security at the entry and exit points point for airport staff was tight and would be further enhanced to make sure that employees could bring nothing in and take nothing out of the airport that was not officially recorded.

Meanwhile Sirot said that the airport authority were working on a plan that could see them taking responsibility for baggage handling away from contractors over the next two years.

People had complained on social media in recent weeks and in person to airport authorities about bags being opened, locks cut and items removed from luggage.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-11

Ive never understood why they take all these items off you that are suppose to be "bombs" and then leave them all stacked up in a big basket in the middle of everyone.  If they are "Bombs" shouldn't they be immediately disposed?? - just a reason to steal methinks..... :post-4641-1156693976:

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Bags opened, locks cut, items removed - never ever, impossible, couldn't / doesn't happen, this is based on the fact that no one has ever been caught. 

Apart from the guy caught stealing from bags at Suvarnabhumi about 3 weeks ago that is. Which was discussed on this forum.

And, if people can take stuff, out, they can put stuff in.  Drugs, bombs....

I knew the "security" at the front of my village was crap. I had hoped, in vain it seems, that the airport was better.

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Apart from the guy caught stealing from bags at Suvarnabhumi about 3 weeks ago that is. Which was discussed on this forum.

And, if people can take stuff, out, they can put stuff in.  Drugs, bombs....

I knew the "security" at the front of my village was crap. I had hoped, in vain it seems, that the airport was better.

irony maybe..

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Is this thread some kind of joke?

Airport are going alone on baggage handling, that aint gonna stop the thieving buggers, no matter who employs them, they will still steal.

Not a joke, just LOS logic. 

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The director of Suvarabhumi airport has said that contractors responsible for baggage handling at the Bangkok airport may be sacked if there are repeats of tampering incidents.

May?

Surely he meant "will".

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Not a joke, just LOS logic. 

Perchance they might want to revisit an opportunity that was overlooked when they contracted this out and then seen that it was indeed lucrative. Leave no stone unturned in the search for profit. After all most luggage is insured although rather poorly. I speak from experience. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Is this thread some kind of joke?

Airport are going alone on baggage handling, that aint gonna stop the thieving buggers, no matter who employs them, they will still steal.

I agree but can you name us a country where that absolutely never happened?

Most airports contract out security around the world- why should thaliand be different i(other than for thaigeezerss to have a go).

One theft in however many bags are processed  every day is hardly a reason for a general wailing and gnashing of teeth.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Can you give us a reason  why what might be happening somewhere else is in any way relevant?    Go ask on the somewhere.else.com forum.

7 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Can you give us a reason  why what might be happening somewhere else is in any way relevant?    Go ask on the somewhere.else.com forum.

Do you expect Thailand to be the safest place on earth or what? Dream on man.

This happens anywhere on the world, also in your homecountry.

Since ALL international flight's start at an airport outside Thailand I would say it is relevant. 

Where was it stolen !!!!

8 hours ago, hawker9000 said:
  11 hours ago, fruitman said:

8 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Archived