Update on CM nightlife...

khunpa

I have lived in CM for just over a year now and have only been out for a few times when I first came here. At that time, everything closed at 24.00 (including nightclubs) and only options to have a drink after that time was super boring Karaoke Bars. Since then I could not be bothered to go out, since I just found the nightlife way to boring here. 

Have a friend coming over for a visit and would appreciate an update on the nightlife in CM. Does everything still go "dead" after 24.00? and any recommendations of where to go out in CM? (not looking for the typical Backpacker bar/club). Any Nightclubs open after midnight?

Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The updates are that the CM nightlife is even worse then when you came here a year ago.

Any recommendations of where to go out in CM? I can`t think of any and I`m being serious, not being sarcastic.

Here is video evidence of what`s on offer:

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

The updates are that the CM nightlife is even worse then when you came here a year ago.

Any recommendations of where to go out in CM? I can`t think of any and I`m being serious, not being sarcastic.

Here is video evidence of what`s on offer:

Still looks same same :-) ... Think I will take my visitor on a BKK-trip instead.

Status on the Nimmanhamin area:

The only places that stay open until 1 a.m. are on soi 6, the only bar there that gets any appreciable business is Tawan Daeng, and it is a very Thai place.  Everywhere else, on Nimman and the other sois, closes at midnight.

Dayli on soi 11 and a few restaurant bars at the soi 9 - Nimmanhamin intersection are pleasant places for Thai food and beer, but they are more restaurants than bars and far from exciting.

Warm Up is still popular with young, mostly Thai people.  Lism on Soi 7 is popular with a young, entirely Thai crowd. 

There are other places scattered about that sometimes get a reasonable crowd, but all are flawed in some way--hostile to foreigners, very poor service, or just kind of dull.

OMG, and perhaps a few other places, has bailed out of Nimmanhamin due to high rent and relocated somewhere on Canal Road.

I hate to say it, but I think the best thing about Nimmanhamin is that it is a short tuk-tuk ride to Oxide in Santitham.

I was drinking with a group in Nimman the other morning until three...they put the screen up at 2400 and turn down the music..it seems like it happens more during the week...enforcement is much greater of Friday and Saturdays.  Also a seafood restaurant with big TV and WiFi serving food and beer till 3 or 4...you can also bring in your bottle and get a bucket of ice for 15 and a of soda for 10.....near where the birds are always chirping...fun place.  Pretentious nightclub crap?? Mandalay....200 THB cover. 

As a side there has been some significant work been done on StarSux over the last few weeks and still going on in the day time.   Lots of construction type stuff, and the front of the whole building looks completely different now..  Perhaps it might be moving up from last place where it has languished for a decade or more.

Bit of a worry bods running round in bars/clubs/restaurants/ toilets with cameras though filming bar girls, punters, and diners?.....but no shot of author.......it aint gonna stop I suppopse.

8 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I was drinking with a group in Nimman the other morning until three...they put the screen up at 2400 and turn down the music..it seems like it happens more during the week...enforcement is much greater of Friday and Saturdays.  Also a seafood restaurant with big TV and WiFi serving food and beer till 3 or 4...you can also bring in your bottle and get a bucket of ice for 15 and a of soda for 10.....near where the birds are always chirping...fun place.  Pretentious nightclub crap?? Mandalay....200 THB cover. 

Outside of soi 6 bars, Warm-Up and Lism most of the bars on Nimmanhamin are partly or entirely open air, I don't see how a screen would work unless the bar has an understanding with the police.  It's possible some of the places have that going again, however I currently can't find a place on Nimmanhamin I want to stay at past midnight.

Lock-ins don't appeal to me, nightlife means lights, music and pretties, not quietly sitting in the dark.

"Most" doesn't mean much if you aren't in one of them.  I stated "a screen" for a reason, and that is it is quite a bit rent than a lock-in.  Girl from Bangkok cooked us red curry spaghetti for free that was sensational.  She wasn't promo girl looks but quite smart especially compared to the usual airheads.  65 Leo, 70 Tiger...large..out.of the coffin coolers.  Seafood place operates righht in the open..on Suthep Rd.  Near Ping Payom, easy walk from Nimman McDonalds.

20 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

"Most" doesn't mean much if you aren't in one of them.  I stated "a screen" for a reason, and that is it is quite a bit rent than a lock-in.  Girl from Bangkok cooked us red curry spaghetti for free that was sensational.  She wasn't promo girl looks but quite smart especially compared to the usual airheads.  65 Leo, 70 Tiger...large..out.of the coffin coolers.  Seafood place operates righht in the open..on Suthep Rd.  Near Ping Payom, easy walk from Nimman McDonalds.

I consider Suthep to be a different nightlight area from Nimmanhamin.  There is about 500 meters from the last bar on Nimmanhamin until you reach Suthep, so a significant dead-zone separates the two.  Since the old Duum Duum closed/relocated I haven't been to any bars on Suthep. I know there are a few places but don't know if they are any good.

" it is quite a bit rent than a lock-in."  Is that an editing error or terminology I am unfamiliar with?

did you go with a group or did you join an already existing group

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Heaps of good live music (which by definition excludes Hip Hop and Techno) but they all close at midnight. Try Anusarn Market and Straw Market at the Night Bazaar for starters. Also CU Corner Bar Soi 1 Moon Muang (for American Country music), and Villa Duang Champa in Sunday night Walking Street (has 4 bands from 6PM on).

As a side there has been some significant work been done on StarSux over the last few weeks and still going on in the day time.   Lots of construction type stuff, and the front of the whole building looks completely different now..  Perhaps it might be moving up from last place where it has languished for a decade or more.

Bit of a worry bods running round in bars/clubs/restaurants/ toilets with cameras though filming bar girls, punters, and diners?.....but no shot of author.......it aint gonna stop I suppopse.

don't understand your entire second paragraph. get some sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Seems like you can't figure out what you want. In previous post you complained about Pattaya  and said you would never go there again  but now you are saying Chiang Mai is too dull. Thats what  TV posters were telling you unless your a retiree or have family. Your visiting friends may will consider it boring and you seem to be living a dull life if having been living there for some time don't know where to go for fun. Here's some suggestions

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Seems like you can't figure out what you want. In previous post you complained about Pattaya  and said you would never go there again  but now you are saying Chiang Mai is too dull. Thats what  TV posters were telling you unless your a retiree or have family. Your visiting friends may will consider it boring and you seem to be living a dull life if having been living there for some time don't know where to go for fun. Here's some suggestions

Only checked the top one, which is badly out of date.  It recommended Monkey Club, which was torn down two or more years ago.  It also talked of after hours places that are currently locked up tight after hours.  And it showed a crowd at Infinity, the last couple of times I went by Infinity the staff out-numbered the customers.  I assume the video was made before the 2014 coup and nightlife crackdown.

Anyone who thinks everything closes at midnight isn't looking hard enough. Plenty of places open now late, has been the case for the last 6-9 months. Was at Infinity until 3am a couple of months back.

The only places that close at midnight are on main streets, and even then only in high profile areas. The road behind Chang Klan Road (Night Bazaar) that crosses Loi Kroh has plenty of bars that open late, even the dubious Loi Kroh boxing ring has places that trade through to 1:30-2am. Some places do put the shutters down though so it's a matter of being there at midnight and staying there or knowing where the side entrance is. Thai focused places don't even bother with that, was at a place in Hang Dong about 9mths ago, was still open at 2am when I left.

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Yes, I do not like Pattaya after visiting and Yes, Chiang Mai was boring the last time I went out... (a year ago). Now I have a friend coming and I am therefore asking about the Night Life situation in Chiang Mai. 

Regarding you saying I am personally living a dull life.... Well, first of all, I do not consider living a NORMAL life (without having to party or sit in a bar every day/weekend) a boring life.

Besides that, I visit Bangkok 1-2 times every month for business and could go out there as much as I wanted....that is IF I wanted. However, I actually seldom go out when there, because I have tried enough partying for several life times, before I met my wife. I actually find it extremely boring sitting in e.g. a GOGO or some bar talking to some bargirl... but I am sure my friend will enjoy the experience. And that is why I asked about an update of the Night life in CM.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion videos :-)

You can try Living Room - a bar that is open till 5 ish and has pool tables. It is tucked away in a side street, but the tuk tuk guys know where it is.

Also, if it is still on the go, Zoe in Yellow is a group of bars not far from Loykroh Road, frequented by Aussie backpackers and open late.

1 hour ago, MartinBKK said:

When I want to go out I go to BKK. CNX seems super quiet and BKK was super busy when I went out last night. I think tourists have got the message.

You're correct, the local government in Chiang Mai have systematically destroyed the 'late night' nightlife environment quite deliberately over the pst few years.

Why ? I have no idea.

Simple solution. If you're drinking on your own or with friends...  kick off at 4pm but put your watches 1 hour forward (if you still have one).

Early sunset around 6 is the nicest part of the day to drink and watch passing parade. When the sun goes down have a feed then kick on to wherever.

When you look at your watch showing 1am you will think you've had enough (remember you started drinking early) and head home seeing all the lights turning off and shutters coming down as you go.

The bonus is you'll get more sleep...  and a pleasant surprise when you wake up and see your watch is 1 hour fast...  an extra hours nap or down to the breakfast buffet EARLIER before the Chinese tour groups come down and cough in the food.

4 minutes ago, Foxy52 said:

I have an old friend from my university days arriving on Wednesday, who will expect to be taken out on the town, i.e. 'girly bar' or something Any suggestions would most welcome, as I haven't a clue

Loi Khro  (obviously)  and don't let anyone tell you that Thailand's second largest city has 'no nightlife' have fun

7 hours ago, MartinBKK said:

When I want to go out I go to BKK. CNX seems super quiet and BKK was super busy when I went out last night. I think tourists have got the message.

<deleted> most places are super quiet compared to Bangkok.

I'm here 13 years it Chiang mai is still as fun as it t ever was, the only difference these days I'm home earlier. Zoe in yellow and  Kad Bon Yoo is a dump explore more, find some Chiang mai friends.

4 hours ago, Foxy52 said:

I have an old friend from my university days arriving on Wednesday, who will expect to be taken out on the town, i.e. 'girly bar' or something Any suggestions would most welcome, as I haven't a clue

Oxide and T-Bar in Santitham for eye candy, Loi Kroh if you want to take a much, much less attractive woman to a short-time hotel room.  Make sure she's really a woman (unless you're into that sort of thing).

Archived