Has anyone recently taken their Thai partner to Oz for holiday?

Having looked at the replies on this forum, there seems to be a disconnect. Some posters are saying it's easy, and the rate of rejection is low. The immigration lawyer I engaged informed me about 70% of applications are rejected. Who is correct? Yes, I accept he could have been inflating the figures for his own benefit.

Biometrics and fingerprinting do not mean a visa will be granted.

To me, there are two troubling aspects of the application process. The first is all the applications are processed by Thais. Who is to say discrimination between Bangkok Thais and northern Thais does not exist?

The second is the denial of any process of appeal or review. So an incorrect or arbitrary decision stands uncorrected. That's not a democracy, it's dictatorship.

My experience has left a nasty taste in my mouth, and a hole in my pocket. For those reasons, my Thai GF has had her one and only visit to Australia.

I would urge anyone who has a visa to Australia for their Thai partner refused - forget it. There are plenty of other places in the world to visit. And a lot less expensive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Having looked at the replies on this forum, there seems to be a disconnect. Some posters are saying it's easy, and the rate of rejection is low. The immigration lawyer I engaged informed me about 70% of applications are rejected. Who is correct? Yes, I accept he could have been inflating the figures for his own benefit.

Was your immigration lawyer a registered migration agent in Australia? 

The 70% rejection rate is factually incorrect and nowhere near the actual published rate by the department of immigration and border protection. 

The published  rejection for a tourist visa from Thailand is 7.82% for the most recent reported year (June 2015 - June 2016) trending towards 5% according to DIBP.

Given the figure that you where told, maybe says something about the quality of immigration lawyer you choose to use. 

I would have thought that common sense would tell you that the figure isn't that high.

Biometrics and fingerprinting do not mean a visa will be granted.

That is correct, but a decision won't be made until they are done. 

To me, there are two troubling aspects of the application process. The first is all the applications are processed by Thais. Who is to say discrimination between Bangkok Thais and northern Thais does not exist?

What evidence do you have to back this up? What percentage of Thai staff working in the Embassy are central Thai? 

Given the actual rejection rate I posted above, your theory doesn't hold up very well. 

6 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Thanks for the input, hopefully once she has completed the first trip and returned home this will make the next application easy.

Cheers

Generally it does, well not the application as such but you have evidence that they have complied with a visa to Australia before which is a big positive. 

Be aware that there is a restriction (of sorts) on the number of Tourist visa that will be granted with a certain period of time. Basically you can't be using a tourist visa to live in Australia (and bypass other visas), you must still be classed by DIBP as a genuine tourist.

On 3/15/2017 at 7:30 PM, Surin13 said:

Was your immigration lawyer a registered migration agent in Australia? 

The 70% rejection rate is factually incorrect and nowhere near the actual published rate by the department of immigration and border protection. 

The published  rejection for a tourist visa from Thailand is 7.82% for the most recent reported year (June 2015 - June 2016) trending towards 5% according to DIBP.

Given the figure that you where told, maybe says something about the quality of immigration lawyer you choose to use. 

I would have thought that common sense would tell you that the figure isn't that high.

That is correct, but a decision won't be made until they are done. 

What evidence do you have to back this up? What percentage of Thai staff working in the Embassy are central Thai? 

Given the actual rejection rate I posted above, your theory doesn't hold up very well. 

Yes, the immigration lawyer was a registered migration agent.

All the employees in CM processing visa applications are Thai. The two that handled the applications in Bangkok were Thai. I don't know their ethnic distribution.

Yes, it's possible the lawyer inflated the rejection rate.

However, if you believe what government departments tell you, I have a bridge in Sydney Harbor to sell. Common sense says bureaucrats aren't going to make trouble for themselves by admitting to high rejection rates.

10 hours ago, bazza73 said:

All the employees in CM processing visa applications are Thai. The two that handled the applications in Bangkok were Thai. I don't know their ethnic distribution.

The employees you speak about in CM aren't Australian Embassy employees they work for VFS Global a Swiss company that the Australian Government use to do the administrative tasks related to visa and identity management. 

They have no role in assessment of the application, this is done at the Embassy by Australian Government employees who may or may not be Thai nationals. 

10 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Yes, it's possible the lawyer inflated the rejection rate.

However, if you believe what government departments tell you, I have a bridge in Sydney Harbor to sell. Common sense says bureaucrats aren't going to make trouble for themselves by admitting to high rejection rates.

DIBP have all the statistics on rejections rates available on their website for most countries and the country with the highest rejection rate is still nowhere near the 70% figure. What benefit to the government is there to fabricate these figures? 

Given that you believed the 70% rejection rate figure, I have no doubt that you "believe" you have a bridge in Sydney Harbor to sell.

Don't tell me, that the lawyer that assisted you with the visa also helped in the purchase of that bridge your trying to sell now. 555 

Considering that you got a visa the second time around with professional help, to me it suggests that you first application was lacking, which is most likely why it failed instead of some perceived persecution of Northern Thai's by embassy staff.

• 1 month later...

I applied for our tourist visa early Dec got it early Feb with Christmas I was presently supprised, I filled the forms online while in Australia she was in Thailand, she went and done the bios she traveled from Keang Kho to Bangkok return by bus so yes let's get an office in khon kean, all good though and we leave for Aust today,

We have been together 18 months in which I have traveled to Thailand 8 times, so my commitment couldn't be questioned, also as a point I had been putting coin in her bank every month for nearly the whole 18 months,I gave them photos and all the mushey conversations on LINE app, I explained she was Issan and had no birth or school reports/ certification  she just had an I'd card, also she isn't employed and has farmed all her life providing for her family, I sent copies of my business tax returns and bank statements and proved I could look after her as I'm self employed, no airline tickets were asked for and none given, in fact I still haven't booked a return ticket for her yet, I wanted to see how she goes plus mums not in the best health so I didn't want to lock anything in, the best policy is upfront and Honest and go online, I cannot see how they can knock people back if you provide what they want and it's all clear on the online application form.

all the best to everyone trying to get visas and thx for posting, the reading is always good.

Well done Chpied, I applied a couple of years ago online and had no problem.

my question is the BIO requirement now ( wasn't necessary before ). I've read some say it is a necessity now others no. What's involved in obtaining the Bio requirement and does anyone know if it must accompany an online application ?

bearing in mind my GF travelled two times on her last visa to Australia for 3 mths at a time . I guess they see she has had a visa before via her immi account. Thanks for any advice

On 28/04/2017 at 1:50 PM, Ooladolla said:

Well done Chpied, I applied a couple of years ago online and had no problem.

my question is the BIO requirement now ( wasn't necessary before ). I've read some say it is a necessity now others no. What's involved in obtaining the Bio requirement and does anyone know if it must accompany an online application ?

bearing in mind my GF travelled two times on her last visa to Australia for 3 mths at a time . I guess they see she has had a visa before via her immi account. Thanks for any advice

Thx Ooladolla, biometrics dose have to be done now regardless,(The term biometrics refers to a measurable characteristic that is unique to an individual such as fingerprints, facial structure, the iris or a person's voice.) No bio no visa. My partner had to go to Bangkok but check https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Biom

it has info and links all about the process and where the centres are for the bio recording, the cost was 839 baht for it to be completed not including travel expense.

4 hours ago, Chpied said:

Thx Ooladolla, biometrics dose have to be done now regardless,(The term biometrics refers to a measurable characteristic that is unique to an individual such as fingerprints, facial structure, the iris or a person's voice.) No bio no visa. My partner had to go to Bangkok but check https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Biom

it has info and links all about the process and where the centres are for the bio recording, the cost was 839 baht for it to be completed not including travel expense.

Thanks, I'll check it out 

• 2 weeks later...

If you can tell me, is it true you apply online firstly through your immi account and then the embassy send through a request to have the biometrics done ? This is what I was told is the procedure by an English speaking Thai lady I rang regarding the requirements. She said print out the request and bring it along with the Thai passport to their office. It's the one at 37 South Sathom Rd Bangkok yes ?

thanks ?

7 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

If you can tell me, is it true you apply online firstly through your immi account and then the embassy send through a request to have the biometrics done ? This is what I was told is the procedure by an English speaking Thai lady I rang regarding the requirements. She said print out the request and bring it along with the Thai passport to their office. It's the one at 37 South Sathom Rd Bangkok yes ?

thanks ?

Usually, within 24 hours of submitting the online application you will receive an email acknowledgment requesting you to get the biometrics done at VFS in the Trendy Office Building in Sukhumvit 13. 

Yes mate go online to your immi account, go through all the hoops, photos, screenshots of conversations, bank details all that stuff, make sure they send all the stuff to you at your email address so you can be in control, it's just easier that way, i found that easier as my partner hasn't got computers or anything like that.

I applied on the 12th December last year and was all cleared on the 03rd January. Once she turns up for biometrics then they process the visa straight away.

Immigration emailed me about the biometrics, which i read through then explained it to my partner and sent it to her by email, to which she took her phone to the internet shop and they printed the pages for her, i told her to print the whole email but she only need three pages, the first page had her name, DOB, date of application, application id, TRN, and other numbers, the 2nd page had her name, DOB and VLN visa lodgement number on it with other info about biometrics and the 3rd page was just about the process and don't forget the passport.

My partner went to 

Australian Visa Application Centre

Trendy Office Building

28th Floor

Sukhumvit Soi 13

Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana

Bangkok

open Monday- Friday 8:30am-3pm

Not sure about the address you were given, but what i can say is it is an easy process, just make sure you prove you can support her and she has family to return to in Thailand i think were there main boxes to tick, i also wrote a letter that i had been to see her 9 times in 18 months and as a couple we wanted to share the travel.

i hope this helps you and wish you all the best, i was a little daunted by the process at start but found it quite simple really.

• 2 months later...
On 10/05/2017 at 9:02 PM, Chpied said:

Sorry Ooladolla for the late reply i didn't have my notification settings turned on right.:sorry:

Thanks for your reply. 

One thing you mention about when you applied and when it was approved has me thinking. We are travelling together on the 19/12/17 . I wanted to apply in December so I could go back on the same visa next year in December 2018. Looking at how long it took for your approval that might not be possible.

ANYONE know what the turn around time is from applying online to getting the ok ?

Thanks for your reply. 
One thing you mention about when you applied and when it was approved has me thinking. We are travelling together on the 19/12/17 . I wanted to apply in December so I could go back on the same visa next year in December 2018. Looking at how long it took for your approval that might not be possible.
ANYONE know what the turn around time is from applying online to getting the ok ?

I did an online application in Sept16 (for Thai wife) and the approval took 3 weeks after submission of the biometrics. The year before that, which was before the requirement of biometrics, the online application only took a couple of days.

Since you require the visa for travel during a busy time of the year, you should allow up to 4 weeks for the approval. If you're living in BKK you could consider lodging a hard copy application at VFS (instead of online) as I was told that during busy periods it should be a quicker process and is easier to track the progress of the application via VFS (personally I prefer the convenience of the online application).

23 hours ago, mark5335 said:

I did an online application in Sept16 (for Thai wife) and the approval took 3 weeks after submission of the biometrics. The year before that, which was before the requirement of biometrics, the online application only took a couple of days.

Since you require the visa for travel during a busy time of the year, you should allow up to 4 weeks for the approval. If you're living in BKK you could consider lodging a hard copy application at VFS (instead of online) as I was told that during busy periods it should be a quicker process and is easier to track the progress of the application via VFS (personally I prefer the convenience of the online application).

I am with you in that I prefer to do it online. Glad for all the advice as I was going to give it a 14 day turn around based on my last experience before biometrics. Now I'll definitely apply four weeks before. Thanks 

On 7/12/2017 at 2:34 PM, Ooladolla said:

The official time is for a 600 Visitor Tourist visa is 75% are processed within 20 days and 90% within 36 days.

Link

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

Most people seem to get them within 2-4 weeks.

Thanks, 

ive booked some flights to Bangkok so I can do the biometrics.

once you submit your application online, any idea how long until you get the information back from the embassy requesting the biometrics - that is - the info I need to show them in Bangkok ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/07/2017 at 3:25 PM, Ooladolla said:

Thanks, 

once you submit your application online, any idea how long until you get the information back from the embassy requesting the biometrics - that is - the info I need to show them in Bangkok ?

It's immediate, an automated response.

Thanks, 

My partner was in Aust for 3 months and returned mid July,I reapplied on 27 July and got the go ahead 15 August for another 3 months.

Last time she was required to do biometrics only, this time it was a medical and biometrics, all info and data was sent to immigration by the hospital and the biometrics centre, I just waited for the email confirmation from immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2017 at 9:06 PM, Chpied said:

My partner was in Aust for 3 months and returned mid July,I reapplied on 27 July and got the go ahead 15 August for another 3 months.

Last time she was required to do biometrics only, this time it was a medical and biometrics, all info and data was sent to immigration by the hospital and the biometrics centre, I just waited for the email confirmation from immigration.

Medical ? Any reason why they ask that for a simple tourist visa ? Sure are making it hard for poor Thai folk especially when you raise your hand to take care of all expenses . Seems discriminatory to me. in any case, what did you/ she have to do to provide her medical ? Thanks for your answer in advance

Medical ? Any reason why they ask that for a simple tourist visa ? Sure are making it hard for poor Thai folk especially when you raise your hand to take care of all expenses . Seems discriminatory to me. in any case, what did you/ she have to do to provide her medical ? Thanks for your answer in advance

Hey m8, not sure why they wanted a medical this time as last time there was no requirement.

You should prepare to spend 2-4 hours in the hospital, only certain doctors can do the medical, it cost around 3000 baht, you should book an appointment and clarify the address of the hospital as it gets confusing, we went to the wrong Bangkok hospital, although the hospital we went to still accomodated us.

They do an X-ray of the chest area, check urine, check blood pressure and a general look over.

They then send everything of to immigration.

13 hours ago, Chpied said:

Hey m8, not sure why they wanted a medical this time as last time there was no requirement.

FYI The reason for the medical, (not withstanding declared/suspected medical conditions) would be due to applying for a another visa so quickly.

Any visa over 3 months from Thai requires a medical, if you have already been in Australia in the last 28 days, they include any time you have already spent in Australia when determining the length of stay for your new visa application from a health perspective. 

VFS Global provide VISA services for Australians (and UK), and they also have an office in Chiang Mai where my Thai wife did the biometrics. Not sure if they have any other offices, but I do believe they have 'courier' offices where you can lodge paperwork for a Visa.  Perhaps that is closer or more convenient for some - best to call them and ask. Maybe save a trip to Bangkok.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand/contact_us.html

10 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

VFS Global provide VISA services for Australians (and UK), and they also have an office in Chiang Mai where my Thai wife did the biometrics. Not sure if they have any other offices, but I do believe they have 'courier' offices where you can lodge paperwork for a Visa.  Perhaps that is closer or more convenient for some - best to call them and ask. Maybe save a trip to Bangkok.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand/contact_us.html

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Gone through the process twice, first time took over two months and was rejected, second time was approved in 10 days after I did a lot of research on the internet. I was lucky enough to get hold of copy of the criteria check sheet the Embassy uses for its assessing officers, so knew exactly what they were looking for in each applicant. Don't waste your money on visa companies, they are leeches praying on your emotions. You can do it yourself for free. You have to go to VFS Global to submit your application and bio metrics with the 4000B fee. The three most important things they are looking for are
1. She has sufficient money in the bank. Minimum 100,000B.
2. Proof that she will return to Thailand after the visit.
3. Proof of your relationship with photos and bank statement showing your support.
There are other factors involved, too lengthy to discuss here.
Don't get carried away with booking airline tickets and insurance, you might think you are submitting a perfect application, things can go horrible wrong and you end up with egg on your face.
The best tip I can give you is to prepare your girlfriend with all the info regarding your relationship, eg, peoples names, places, family, in Australia, so that if Immigration rings she is well prepared.
Oh, nearly forgot I submitted  STAT DEC signed and stamped by the Oz embassy guaranteeing her return.
Visit VFS Global website and look at the Visa 600 criteria.
Good luck

The STAT DEC would have been a deciding factor for them. They then have you by the short'n'curleys and know that they can squeeze hard. They'd luv that!
Is signing a Stat Dec normal?

10 minutes ago, bheard said:

The STAT DEC would have been a deciding factor for them. They then have you by the short'n'curleys and know that they can squeeze hard. They'd luv that!
Is signing a Stat Dec normal?

IMO, the Stat Dec would've had no bearing whatsoever on the granting of a visitor visa.

A Stat Dec saying you will guarantee someone doing something isn't worth the paper

it's written on.

Immigration don't request or require them for visitor visa's because they're pretty much pointless.

I'd suggest they that just put in a better application.

6 minutes ago, bheard said:

The Statutory declaration in this circumstance would carry little to no weight in the decision. As the partner/boyfriend  has no legal responsibility for the visa applicant.  

Archived