Corned Beef

kjun12

If you are looking for English style canned corned beef, most of the large markets, Tops, villa, Foodland, Big C and Tesco carry it. If you are looking for fresh corned beef, you can order a whole chunk of brisket either cooked or raw from MJ Smokehouse in Pattaya, they deliver.  If you want sliced fresh/frozen you can get it from MJs, Sloane's or Passion Delivery.  I'm American and all of the above aren't really what I want.  I don't like the canned and the sliced is silverside, not brisket, and is sliced too thick and the fat content is too low.  I make my own using local beef brisket which I cure for 12-15 days, cook it semi sous vide for 11 hours and after it's been refrigerated for a day slice it on a meat slicer paper thin to make deli style corned beef sandwiches. The piece that is left that won't go through the slicer is cooked again with cabbage until it falls apart. I think that it's only available in my kitchen.  Just made 2 kilos last week.

d1178c763acb99b3173ef2a80ee69fef.jpg

whole corned beef.jpg

sliced siilverside.jpg

DSC01142.JPG

3 hours ago, wayned said:

canned or fresh?

Thanks.  I'm talking American style.  Fresh only.  Do you have a complete recipe for making it from brisket?  Where do you get the brisket?  Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, kjun12 said:

Thanks.  I'm talking American style.  Fresh only.  Do you have a complete recipe for making it from brisket?  Where do you get the brisket?  Thanks for the help.

I live in farm country in Nakhon Sawan Province about 12 kilometers from the  small town of Tak Fa.  There is a walking market every Wednesday and there is one beef vendor and I buy the brisket from her.  I have been buying it from her for years, she knows what I want,  and usually get the "point cut" as it has more fat,  They don't sell much beef here in markets and I've never seen brisket.  As I said you can order a corned brisket piece either cooked or raw from MJ Smokehouse in Pattaya: http://www.mjsmokehouse.com/.  MJ also sells individual cheese cloth bound spice packets that work well. I tried a raw brisket years ago and it was Okay.  I'll try to put together a recipe and PM it to you in the next couple of days.  Your biggest problem will be finding the curing salt, Prague powder #1,  locally.   I order it by the kilo from either the US, Modernist Pantry, or the UK, Surfy's home curing.  Is you intention to cook it to be sliced for sandwiches or boil it for dinner as the cooking method differs drastically!

• 4 weeks later...

you can buy the salt online locally from Thai Artisan Foods for 190 baht/25g + EMS postage. I got some the other day to make pancetta, although ended up with bacon as I have no where to hang, and am now looking to make corned beef.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived