No more topless dance in Walking Street ?

thairookie

I was at Baccara a few nights ago after a long absence.  It seems that they have completely done away with topless shows, not to mention the occasional bottomless ones.

With Pattaya now so "clean", will business at Walking Street be affected?  What is the lure of Gogo bars if the topless shows are gone ?

29 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Wow! If that's true, no sense in going to Baccara and paying high drink prices. It use to be my favourite place. I haven't been to a go-go for a year. Does this mean all the walking street go-go bars have no nudity?

I would think so.  The announcer at Baccara pasting stickers on "hua nom" which I think he was referring to nipples.  That is as far as the new Pattaya goes.

High drink prices ?  Only 69 baht per mug.

Well if that is the case and topless ( and bottomless ) gogo dancers become a thing of the past don't fret.   Gogos in Pattaya are retail establishments. most of the dancers come from the North East of Thailand.  Therefore go to the source, avoid the middleman, and buy it directly  in say Udon thani   "holesale"   :smile:

There is definitely a clean up operation happening. My wife works in a condo management office and sometimes does rentals. Last week she rented out 2 condos to Thai policemen, 2-3 month rental, and they said they were here on special assignment to clean up walking st.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There is definitely a clean up operation happening. My wife works in a condo management office and sometimes does rentals. Last week she rented out 2 condos to Thai policemen, 2-3 month rental, and they said they were here on special assignment to clean up walking st.

I would maybe call it a

Gloss over,  whitewash campaign.

Thought walking street was going to be demolished back in September- October

or was that whitewash, Gloss over

Nah. !!!!!!!!!!

Just more Fake news .

Pattaya will carry on chugging along nicely

gravy_train.jpg

6 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

I would maybe call it a

Nah. !!!!!!!!!!

Just more Fake news .

gravy_train.jpg

I would tent to agree, but it does seem odd, even to my wife. As she said, why dont they stay at the local barracks etc. Possibly its a concerted effort to have some police here, not reporting to the local command, operating autonomously. Or, just another photo op, lol

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I would tent to agree, but it does seem odd, even to my wife. As she said, why dont they stay at the local barracks etc. Possibly its a concerted effort to have some police here, not reporting to the local command, operating autonomously. Or, just another photo op, lol

I think they are trying to push it all into other areas,

Maybe soi Buakho.

Hey, think you could be  right , Photo op.

or Fake cops !!!!!!!!!

Lets face it, they  could close the lot down in a day,  if they wanted to.

but it will never happen , maybe  a conflict of interests.

Who knows.

33 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

More likely just two more losers/drug dealers/scam artists. My condo building has people like that too.

14 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Lets face it, they  could close the lot down in a day,  if they wanted to.

but it will never happen , maybe  a conflict of interests.

Who knows.

Thats a pretty broad statement, how could you literally shut down an entire street. Mcdonalds, starbucks, legitimate businesses etc, 

51 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats a pretty broad statement, how could you literally shut down an entire street. Mcdonalds, starbucks, legitimate businesses etc, 

Yes  your right.

I kind of meant the naughty establishments.

or what they pick as  naughty establishments. !!!!!!

but you can leave the street open for a coffee and burger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or  for the  usual maybe open drug dealing that may go on..

My point is , not much will change in Walking street.

the Gravy train will carry on

Walking street was ok a few years back , but now , No way full up with Chinese and Indians

wandering around like lost children.

Russian families pushing kids in pushchairs.

what a sight it all is.

Walking Street will never be Clarke  Quay or the like.

Not for me.

you can close it down ,

They've had numerous "crack-downs" in the past and the only thing that has happened was minor disruptions to some people's entertainment for a couple hours (maybe) and a few minor fines handed out here and there. 

Crackdowns used to be almost a routine event, coinciding with the appointment of new (Mayor, Governor, Police Chief, etc, etc).

Many clubs still ban Thai males from entering (in case they are actually undercover cops). I've gone bar hopping with Thai friends and they were only allowed in (to some clubs) because they were with me. (One club would only let me come in but not my friend.) A lot of clubs have an "early warning system" set up so if they see the BiB coming a light flashes and the girls scramble to cover up.

Despite all the calls to "clean up" the city and all the "crack downs", the only thing that has actually happened is the nightlife has grown. A lot ! I remember when only Walking Street had go-go bars and they were mostly just on Walking Street or Soi Diamond (and Soi "Happy"). There were barely a dozen go-gos in total back then. 

Then things expanded. Rapidly. My Thai friends thought it was a big deal when the first go-go opened at the end of Soi 7. Then Soi 16 got a bunch, along with many of those little Sois between Walking Street and #2 Road and some opened in Jomtien ! 

At one point I tried to calculate how long it would take to hit every go-go bar in Pattaya. Having just one drink in each (max 30 minutes), it would have taken me a week if I started each night at 9 pm and finished at 3 am (so basically 12 go-gos a night for 7 straight days). That was a few years ago and there are even more now !!

As long as there are go-go bars and people willing to spend money, there will be topless (and bottomless) dancers. 

1 minute ago, onemorechang said:

Yes  your right.

I kind of meant the naughty establishments.

or what they pick as  naughty establishments. !!!!!!

but you can leave the street open for a coffee and burger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or  for the  usual maybe open drug dealing that may go on..

I get what you are saying, but even "naughty" establishments are licensed legitimate businesses. Even under military rule, police dont have powers to shut down a business, even if there is illegal activities. The exception being if you breech alcohol licensing laws, you could loose your license, the business can probably stay open selling coca-cola but what the point. A topless dancer is probably a fine at best, unless there is a law on the books that says the penalty is shut down the business. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Sounds like what the local police would tell their wives when they are going for a long holiday in Pattaya.  And if they are spotted by their wives in Walking Street, the phrase "special operation" or "clean up Walking Street" might come in handy.

20 minutes ago, thairookie said:

Sounds like what the local police would tell their wives when they are going for a long holiday in Pattaya.  And if they are spotted by their wives in Walking Street, the phrase "special operation" or "clean up Walking Street" might come in handy.

I hadnt thought about that, its probably local police setting up a mia noi apartment.

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I get what you are saying, but even "naughty" establishments are licensed legitimate businesses. Even under military rule, police dont have powers to shut down a business, even if there is illegal activities. The exception being if you breech alcohol licensing laws, you could loose your license, the business can probably stay open selling coca-cola but what the point. A topless dancer is probably a fine at best, unless there is a law on the books that says the penalty is shut down the business. 

I don't know what the extent of power

Police or military have, with a commercial business.

but would suspect a licence for all or any business could be revoked.

with out to much effort and for any minor infringement.

But i don't know.  im only guessing. :jap:

Walking Street is not long for this World the way it stands now.  the beach side is going to be demolished and the GoGo joints are going to be harassed until they either move; shut down; or change their routines. the powers that be are going to drive out the sex business and their goal is to gentrify Walking Street. They don't care if all Western tourists leave. They want the Chinese and middle to upper class Thais as these people are not interested in the Walking Street there is now and spend more money.

At one time-GoGo bars made money but there are too many and they are all hurting for business. Yes, Thailand could close them all in one day but that is not the Thai way- they work step by step- keep harassing; keep raiding; keep watching. 

They know they can't completely stop it all but their goal is to move it to a place that is not so in your face and noticeable.

In addition- the whole GoGo scene is boring and nothing but a rip off. It doesn't have the attraction it had as they are all the same; with the same hustle and not really fun at all.

12 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Wow! If that's true, no sense in going to Baccara and paying high drink prices. It use to be my favourite place. I haven't been to a go-go for a year. Does this mean all the walking street go-go bars have no nudity?

dude read a book 

37 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

I don't know what the extent of power

Police or military have, with a commercial business.

but would suspect a licence for all or any business could be revoked.

with out to much effort and for any minor infringement.

But i don't know.  im only guessing. :jap:

i suggest he take mr. johnson for a walk before he steps out for a few ....no bullet's in the gun and t is not that important as to her nudity quotient . bada bada bing 

4 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Well if that is the case and topless ( and bottomless ) gogo dancers become a thing of the past don't fret.   Gogos in Pattaya are retail establishments. most of the dancers come from the North East of Thailand.  Therefore go to the source, avoid the middleman, and buy it directly  in say Udon thani   "holesale"   :smile:

Gee, I live in the South of Thailand and can see topless and bottomless dancers; you mean all those North East girls come down here?

4 hours ago, onemorechang said:

I would maybe call it a

Nah. !!!!!!!!!!

Just more Fake news .

gravy_train.jpg

Couldn't be fake news, no one even mentioned Trump.

13 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Yes I am afraid so they are replacing the nudity with a big VR rental booth. Refundable deposit required. If you like what you see well next stop Futureworld. Nudity and sex will become more sanitized.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Walking Street is not long for this World the way it stands now.  the beach side is going to be demolished

They've been talking about demolishing those buildings since at least 1988.

Silapakorn study leader Nattawut Preeyawanit said that as early as 1988, 101 structures were deemed to be encroaching on public land and have been targeted for years for demolition. But the impact on tourism that demolishing so many of the bars and restaurants would have repeatedly has scuttled any action.

Even now, despite the military government’s crusade against public-land encroachment – some city leaders appear loathe to do anything that will jeopardize Pattaya’s tourism cash cow.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/20-year-talk-demolishing-walking-street-revived-usual-objections-151778

4 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

My my what a naughty little gnome I like you

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

McDonald's and Starbucks; now those are the businesses that should be shut-down.

Archived