Monthly living Cost - upcountry

Parvis

What is the approximate, reasonable living expence range upcountry (small village near Khorat) - for:

1) Thai lady with 2 children (boy 13 + girl 5)

2) Food, utilities, schooling

3) Owns home (no rental etc) - transportation (motorcycle) paid by me

4) I live in Bangkok - visit occationally

Tx for your reply

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you didn't mention, type of home, standard of living expected or whether there are other relatives being "looked" after. Also you will her BS stories that a family can live on 5000 per month. They can, just,  but to what standards is another question. Also the cost of living up country has escalated significantly over the last few years.

I assume when you say you visit occasionally then it is not a developed relationship so hence the quality of life this lady and her children have is not too much of a concern and that you are only looking for more of a subsistence level of income ? Apologies if I am wrong, no offense meant.

Has she told you it takes X amount, or suggested a figure and you're trying to verify?

Or are you providing money already and being told more is needed (and want to verify).

I'm not be cheeky, this is a very common situation.  If any of the above is the case, would you mind revealing how much?   I live right up where you are referring to, although Korat is a big place.

near prasat

elctric 500 , motorbike benzine 500 , food 5000 , schooling 1000. this what i give my gf + 1 boy 11yo and a small lady 10yo... because i know she can take care with that ,  ... she let vegetables growing in the garden and she sometimes can work for extra money. 7.000 /8.000 this is not too much , just the minimum. when i stay with her the level of the family is much higher (shopping tesco , extra money for the children, clothes, going around eat and so on) 

To the above I would add

Internet/phones

donations to weddings funerals

Not sure if the schooling is payment to the school or 20 baht a day for the children? both apply

In my view, minimum for a basic lifestyle 10k baht, not ignoring the poster above takes into account the earning potential of the mother so arguably 7-8k could be ok if this is the case.

34 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Has she told you it takes X amount, or suggested a figure and you're trying to verify?

Or are you providing money already and being told more is needed (and want to verify).

I'm not be cheeky, this is a very common situation.  If any of the above is the case, would you mind revealing how much?   I live right up where you are referring to, although Korat is a big place.

Well - more particulars

She lives with her children ALONE - no other next of kin. NO housing expense other than utilities etc. (house was inherited from her mother - reasonably nice and livable).

We have an 'established' relationship for several years - but weekly money requests seem sometimes excessive (i.e. bills presented raise my suspicion - I read Thai unbeknown to her) and forever increasing.

I gave her 274 000 baht in 2016 (included motorcycle payments of 3000/month) -- 200 000 baht in 2015 -- 165 000 baht 2014

So therefore - what are my 'issues'

1 - my continued support are primarily because of her children (I am a sucker for children)

2 - I do not object to a reasonable support - just do not want to be a 'farang sucker'

3 - I have currently no plans to live near Khorat (and have 'certain' unverified suspicions)

Therefore any "guidance" to what should be a reasonable living expence amount - is highly appreciated.

20,000 a month is more than adequate but not extortionate. Trouble is there will be girls boasting that they receive 50k a month and this has the desired effect of making the recipient of this information feel inferior. So they ask for more!!

15 minutes ago, Parvis said:

Well - more particulars

She lives with her children ALONE - no other next of kin. NO housing expense other than utilities etc. (house was inherited from her mother - reasonably nice and livable).

We have an 'established' relationship for several years - but weekly money requests seem sometimes excessive (i.e. bills presented raise my suspicion - I read Thai unbeknown to her) and forever increasing.

I gave her 274 000 baht in 2016 (included motorcycle payments of 3000/month) -- 200 000 baht in 2015 -- 165 000 baht 2014

1 - my continued support are primarily because of her children (I am a sucker for children)

2 - I do not object to a reasonable support - just do not want to be a 'farang sucker'

3 - I have currently no plans to live near Khorat (and have 'certain' unverified suspicions)

Therefore any "guidance" to what should be a reasonable living expence amount - is highly appreciated.

274 k is reasonable and she would not be having parties on that. I assume they are not your children or else you would want them to be better off ?

Given what you've been providing, I go along with the other guy ^ and say 20k/mo seems like a nice round number.  And more importantly, in my opinion, a good number to STOP and HOLD at.  Clearly the trending increase and continued peppering for more has gotten your attention.

Indeed, you don't want to fall into the Farang Sucker zone.

Most ypical Thai families with small children can live well with 2 minimun salaries, about 20000 TH. A mother alone will do it with less than that, if not getting into any loan payment or other big responsabilities. Thai people are masters in getting into loans that cannot pay at all. New computers, motorcycles, and cars are "priorities" for many. Too many.

34 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

I have a 13 year old and a six year. Excluding school fees car costs flights etc my wife spends 30k a month. Thats for all four of us. Includes all household bilss cloths etc.. We live very well on that.. Includes fuel for car. Average 1000baht a week. 

That sounds pretty right to me.. we (wife & 1 daughter) go through about the same for living expenses..including expensive ferang food and beer for me... I go through another 25k for improvement around the house.. still not finished building.. things that crop up like a new phone for one of them occasionally.. a trip back to OZ for me.. a small holiday,   etc etc.. 

17 hours ago, Parvis said:

Well - more particulars

Me thinks you were a sucker from the get go....just get in line...it goes around the block several times....a fool and his money....woo, woo....?  I just stick to the coin operated gf and be done with it.....?????

I have lived in Issan for 9 years, my total expenditure is around 120,000 pm,( excluding medical) my wife has a couple of children who do not live with us, I mention this to show I live at the higher end and my opinion is based on that

A lot depends on your own circumstances on what you choose to pay

A factory worker around here gets about 12,000 per month

20,000 is certainly more than survival-able on, but then if you can afford it 25,000 would make a big difference, some friends who are only here part of the year give 30,000 per month

If I ever split from my wife and today I am very happy I would expect to pay 30,000 per month min

When I die I have told my wife she will have to probably live on 75,000 per month, she owns the house I built and paid for, we also have a car paid for

I hope my comments are helpful

I find some of the comments unhelpful and distasteful, on this thread, and I wish you luck, obviously by enquiring you are a reasonable man

Good Luck

I see no money for Somchai. I'd have no doubt she has needs and you aren't the only visitor. If you get my drift. Give her nothing. She's capable of work I assume? If it's love then she will accept this. If it money you won't be visiting any more. Good luck.

32 minutes ago, al007 said:

I have lived in Issan for 9 years, my total expenditure is around 120,000 pm,( excluding medical) my wife has a couple of children who do not live with us, I mention this to show I live at the higher end and my opinion is based on that

20,000 is certainly more than survival-able on, but then if you can afford it 25,000 would make a big difference, some friends who are only here part of the year give 30,000 per month

If I ever split from my wife and today I am very happy I would expect to pay 30,000 per month min

When I die I have told my wife she will have to probably live on 75,000 per month, she owns the house I built and paid for, we also have a car paid for

120000 a month , yea right . dude there is nothing in issan  that you could possibly spend 3400 - 3500 usd on a month . you like to mirror gaze i feel ............thats how i feel and i am sticking to it ....

53 minutes ago, al007 said:

I have 3 kids and send them to private school. We live well. Our total annual budget is 600,000 - 700,000B per year.

42 minutes ago, al007 said:

I find some of the comments unhelpful and distasteful, on this thread, and I wish you luck, obviously by enquiring you are a reasonable man

Good Luck

I am an old man (76) - an old fool as SOME may point out. I have considered "not helping" - but - would that make me happier?  Absolutely not - I can make a difference for the children - with money, inspiration, positive guidance - they have yet undeveloped future potential. The boy will be with me shortly - in Bangkok - during his 'end of term' vacation. To see him develop into a responsible young man - will give me satisfaction.

I appreciate all the feed back - my objective was to understand better and provide reasonably.

Wow, 120k/mo in Issan is a lot.

When you say Up Country/Issan, many might picture a house in a rice field.  You certainly can have a high burn rate if you live in/near the city area with "diversions" to spend money on, and of course wife orf GF's family members on the payroll, and extended family below them on the Trickle Down Distribution System.   Everything costs 1,000 Baht, even a pack of chewing gum, and you never get back any change......   LOL.  It's all good though, and relative to your financial status.  When I was working, 120k was like 120 Baht.  Now?  Sheeet, that's 2 months of normal living expenditures for me and the Mrs, and life is still good. 

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed, please remember this when posting:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Own House and Motobike is a good Beginning. So you count monthly:

- Electricity and Water 2000 thb

- Food 8000 thb

- Benzine 1000 thb

- School Cloths 1000 thb

- Extras (Telephone/ Cloths/        Entertainment) 8000 thb

This is a realistic List at my Experience last 10 Years. So 20.000 thb works. Less is possible but then you're not the Hero for your Lady?

A reasonable amount would be the equivalent of what she would receive (housekeeping) from a Thai partner (a "good" man) of her own social standing.

If you like be generous....... assume that the partner would be fortunate enough to have a full time job, locally, paid at least the minimum wage.

Do not be too concerned about the extent to which you can "uplift" the children (without your permanent, onsite, interventionist oversight, their "die is cast").

1 hour ago, Parvis said:

I am an old man (76) - an old fool as SOME may point out. I have considered "not helping" - but - would that make me happier?  Absolutely not - I can make a difference for the children - with money, inspiration, positive guidance - they have yet undeveloped future potential. The boy will be with me shortly - in Bangkok - during his 'end of term' vacation. To see him develop into a responsible young man - will give me satisfaction.

I appreciate all the feed back - my objective was to understand better and provide reasonably.

Obviously Parvis you are a young man like me but some four years older, and maybe older and wiser as the saying goes

I believe Parvis you are no fool, but a very caring man acting sensibly and ascertaining information and facts to allow you make an informed decision

We are not OLD FOOLs and between us have a wealth of experience, some of us are not bitter and twisted

Thailand and its up and coming young people can benefit greatly from our help, and if a little bit of our money is misapplied to me irrelevant

It amazes me on a simple topic like this how much anger can be created, I do my best to stay at peace with myself and the world, because it make ME happier, but then as already said in this thread, I am yet just another old fool! !!   !!!    !!!!     !!!!!

Posts commenting on moderation have been removed (please note the part in bold font):

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

You will not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

21 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

you didn't mention, type of home, standard of living expected or whether there are other relatives being "looked" after. Also you will her BS stories that a family can live on 5000 per month. They can, just,  but to what standards is another question. Also the cost of living up country has escalated significantly over the last few years.

I assume when you say you visit occasionally then it is not a developed relationship so hence the quality of life this lady and her children have is not too much of a concern and that you are only looking for more of a subsistence level of income ? Apologies if I am wrong, no offense meant.

Yes your right each of the above questions can have a broad range. Mommy can I have a new IPhone and IPad pause waiting for the please. 

Archived