Monthly living Cost - upcountry

Parvis

On 3/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, transam said:

30,000 bht house keeping is a dream for Isaan ladies, that is not a true picture of what Isaan ladies need to live. Isaan food which they love is one of the cheapest outlays ever..

Even many Government officials don't earn that in Isaan to pay everything...

You seem to have forgotten that she has to take care of this crotchety old man. I don't eat Issan food and I like some goodies once in awhile. I like meat and potatoes at least a couple times a week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30000 a month and their should be no issues it's more than enough for a family of 3-4 to be comfortable.
You don't only want your family to survive you want them to have a decent standard of living as long as you can afford it.
Be aware as with ladies in any country they will almost always push for more money you just have to be aware of the actual cost of living and be comfortable your doing your best.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/13/2017 at 0:57 PM, Gary A said:

I don't have the same circumstances but I'll put in my two baht. There are just me and my wife, no children. We pay no rent nor have any payments. I give my wife 30,000 baht per month. She pays all the household bills and utilities plus my Internet. She also buys all our clothes, She limits me to a carton of cigarettes every two weeks. She will NOT pay my bar bills.  She pays for benzine for her car and I pay for diesel for my truck. I do pay for the vehicle insurance and any big ticket items such as TV's and furniture. 

I especially like you wife's "shopping limits and exclusions". :smile:

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 10:28 AM, al007 said:

I have lived in Issan for 9 years, my total expenditure is around 120,000 pm,( excluding medical) my wife has a couple of children who do not live with us, I mention this to show I live at the higher end and my opinion is based on that

A lot depends on your own circumstances on what you choose to pay

A factory worker around here gets about 12,000 per month

20,000 is certainly more than survival-able on, but then if you can afford it 25,000 would make a big difference, some friends who are only here part of the year give 30,000 per month

If I ever split from my wife and today I am very happy I would expect to pay 30,000 per month min

When I die I have told my wife she will have to probably live on 75,000 per month, she owns the house I built and paid for, we also have a car paid for

I hope my comments are helpful

I find some of the comments unhelpful and distasteful, on this thread, and I wish you luck, obviously by enquiring you are a reasonable man

Good Luck

Yep. Im more in your ballpark, very similar situation in fact. Missus and 2 kids outside Udon. My monthly spend would be @150000 per month sometimes more or less. Thats when im home and I am not going silly on the nights out or shopping at Tesco or Tops or whatever. Pretty much live, eat and sleep Thai. Im offshore though so when im at work the missus has 65000 to play with plus the little bit she makes from her work. Having said that she rarely spends the 65 and banks most of it which is her perogrative.

On 13/03/2017 at 2:21 PM, chicowoodduck said:

Me thinks you were a sucker from the get go....just get in line...it goes around the block several times....a fool and his money....woo, woo....?  I just stick to the coin operated gf and be done with it.....?????

You appear to sound like another cheap Charlie with his hand on it, each to their own, hope you don't run out of coins

On 13/03/2017 at 7:38 PM, bazza73 said:

Sounds somewhat excessive to me. My Thai GF gets an allowance of 8000 baht a month, although I do pay household bills such as internet, electricity and food.

I'd suggest ( if you can) check out whether she's in debt to the moneylenders. The other possibility is she has a gik on the side who is leeching money.

Thais are like children - you have to set boundaries.

Have you ever tried to raise kids in Thailand, live a comfortable life, not excessive, 8,000 baht a month as an allowance for the GF. I give about the same to the wife, i.e. 9,000 baht a month, with that money she will give the 3 kids 30 baht each for school pocket money as the school provides them with meals, the balance goes to veggies at the local markets and maybe a meal for her parents every now and again.

The cost for each child per school term (2 terms) is 5,000 baht, then you have uniforms, books, bags, and summer class which is about 2,500 baht per head. 

Car, house, bike paid for, electricity, water, house insurance, car insurance registrations, services/maintenance for car/bike, dentists, food, I would say 20,000 baht a month is ok for her, not over the top, for a single lady and 2 kids going to school, 25,000 would be more appropriate, but if I wasn't living with the lady, I would be requesting photos of receipts to see where the outgoings are actually going 4Myego if I had any concerns, as I am paying for it, nothing to do with trust, its a 1 + 1 thing, and if she doesn't have a problem with that, then its all good, if she arks up, then one should pull on the collar for a while until the she learns who is truly master, that is if she doesn't already know 555

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have you ever tried to raise kids in Thailand, live a comfortable life, not excessive, 8,000 baht a month as an allowance for the GF. I give about the same to the wife, i.e. 9,000 baht a month, with that money she will give the 3 kids 30 baht each for school pocket money as the school provides them with meals, the balance goes to veggies at the local markets and maybe a meal for her parents every now and again.

The cost for each child per school term (2 terms) is 5,000 baht, then you have uniforms, books, bags, and summer class which is about 2,500 baht per head. 

Car, house, bike paid for, electricity, water, house insurance, car insurance registrations, services/maintenance for car/bike, dentists, food, I would say 20,000 baht a month is ok for her, not over the top, for a single lady and 2 kids going to school, 25,000 would be more appropriate, but if I wasn't living with the lady, I would be requesting photos of receipts to see where the outgoings are actually going 4Myego if I had any concerns, as I am paying for it, nothing to do with trust, its a 1 + 1 thing, and if she doesn't have a problem with that, then its all good, if she arks up, then one should pull on the collar for a while until the she learns who is truly master, that is if she doesn't already know 555

For me - it has never been a question of - What I can afford - but rather has been a question of what is a reasonable budget for a Thai Lady with 2 children - upcountry.

From what I understand now - a budget of 25,000 baht/month is a 'livable budget' (all inclusive) without exorbitant/unreasonable 'wants'.

"Soon" - I may get an Internet connection upcountry also - which therefore means I could spend more time upcountry and would have the opportunity to more closely inspect 'the receipts for the outgoing' (trust - but - verify).

2 hours ago, Parvis said:

For me - it has never been a question of - What I can afford - but rather has been a question of what is a reasonable budget for a Thai Lady with 2 children - upcountry.

From what I understand now - a budget of 25,000 baht/month is a 'livable budget' (all inclusive) without exorbitant/unreasonable 'wants'.

"Soon" - I may get an Internet connection upcountry also - which therefore means I could spend more time upcountry and would have the opportunity to more closely inspect 'the receipts for the outgoing' (trust - but - verify).

Respect 555

On 3/13/2017 at 3:56 AM, FritsSikkink said:

As both her children should be going to school, she should be able to do some work too and get additional money herself.

But she might need to take care of her parents and cannot work. Very sad. The crops they were depending on just died too from drought. Flooding season soon and the house foundation needs replacing or it will collapse. Jing. 

10-15k baht a month should see them fine. Up to you. 

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

But she might need to take care of her parents and cannot work. Very sad. The crops they were depending on just died too from drought. Flooding season soon and the house foundation needs replacing or it will collapse. Jing. 

No 'parents' involved anymore. House is quite comfortable - but could use improving - especially if I were to consider it my 'part time' home.

I realize 25k is pushing a little - however in this is a new motorcycle payment for 3000/month. But I would feel more comfortable if I knew exactly how the money is spend. I tend to be frugal (but not stingy). 

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Might, should could, would. more possibilities?

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Goldbear said:

I wonder what some people spend so much money on. It's not a criticism. If they have the money, they can. It's just a bit hard to picture sometimes. 

You can't take it with you, so spend it and enjoy life.

On 13/03/2017 at 0:38 PM, bruceamstutz said:

I would say a minimum of 65k baht per month and that would include medical insurance....  

Can you be more specific on the cost of medical please and maybe disclose the provider. 

On 4/8/2017 at 0:39 AM, Goldbear said:

So if I spend my money I will enjoy my life?

The older I get, the looser my purse strings get. Yes, I enjoy what remains of my life. My wife always hated to ask me for money. I had her sit down and figure out how much she needed per month. She came up the the figure of 25,000 a month. I gave her 30,000 and whatever she had leftover, she could do with what she wanted Over the past ten years, I'm sure inflation has eaten up any surplus she had but she has never asked for more. I like my toys but always hesitate about spending the money on things I don't really need. My wife is in the habit of reminding me that I can't take anything with me after I pop my clogs. I no longer buy second hand things and have likely been better off buying new. She still reminds me of the last two things I bought second hand. One was a 4X4 Toyota pickup that was a true lemon and the other was an expensive phone that didn't last very long. Life is good out here in the boonies.

35 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The older I get, the looser my purse strings get. Yes, I enjoy what remains of my life. My wife always hated to ask me for money. I had her sit down and figure out how much she needed per month. She came up the the figure of 25,000 a month. I gave her 30,000 and whatever she had leftover, she could do with what she wanted Over the past ten years, I'm sure inflation has eaten up any surplus she had but she has never asked for more. I like my toys but always hesitate about spending the money on things I don't really need. My wife is in the habit of reminding me that I can't take anything with me after I pop my clogs. I no longer buy second hand things and have likely been better off buying new. She still reminds me of the last two things I bought second hand. One was a 4X4 Toyota pickup that was a true lemon and the other was an expensive phone that didn't last very long. Life is good out here in the boonies.

I also have loosened the purse strings, and buy all things new, I found that used items here are over priced, even Farangs I know want 75% of new price for their unwanted stuff.  I think upwards of 100,000 baht would be necessary here if living the good life, with few worries.  I know many who say they live on much less, I couldn't/wouldn't .

9 hours ago, Gary A said:

There are a lot of variables that are involved in finding the sweet spot between spending too much and not spending enough. It sounds like you are a bit thrifty by nature. Your wife has to encourage you to spend. So for you it's about spending more. And you can do it because you have the money and are at a certain stage of your life. Everyone's situation is different. 

On 3/12/2017 at 4:45 PM, Parvis said:

Well - more particulars

She lives with her children ALONE - no other next of kin. NO housing expense other than utilities etc. (house was inherited from her mother - reasonably nice and livable).

We have an 'established' relationship for several years - but weekly money requests seem sometimes excessive (i.e. bills presented raise my suspicion - I read Thai unbeknown to her) and forever increasing.

I gave her 274 000 baht in 2016 (included motorcycle payments of 3000/month) -- 200 000 baht in 2015 -- 165 000 baht 2014

So therefore - what are my 'issues'

1 - my continued support are primarily because of her children (I am a sucker for children)

2 - I do not object to a reasonable support - just do not want to be a 'farang sucker'

3 - I have currently no plans to live near Khorat (and have 'certain' unverified suspicions)

Therefore any "guidance" to what should be a reasonable living expence amount - is highly appreciated.

I've lived near Korat for 14 years! Last year 274K, she's living like a Princess,  if she owns her home. Your probably

also supporting her husband/bf, relatives and distant cousins.If your happy with the relationship and can afford it, keep the payments up, but your probably being taken advantage of.

Archived