Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soidog2

Garden Pleasures

Recommended Posts

Some current small miracles in the garden:

 

Durian

Coffee

Strawberry

Avocado

Avocado

Beefsteak Tomatoes

Sweet Peppers

Hungarian Chilies

Drying Genovese Basil

 

Enjoy.

 

 

 

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5540.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great photos! How I envy you. 

Where did you get the durian, coffee and avocado trees from?

Are the a avocados the Haas variety? 

Any tips on how to grow coffee plants here? 

Great tomatoes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grafted Durians are available from just about every nursery, look around.

Arabica is beginning to show up in nurseries. Might take a little more legwork, depending on your location, definitely available.

For growing; where are you located? if in a very hot area, it needs to grow under tall trees canopy, I am in very hot Buriram; the coffee quality is excellent.

Avocado is quite difficult, my trees come from the PakCheong research station. They used to have a lovely grove with many varieties; some years ago they lost it all to floods. Now they are trying to recover but selection is limited with a very long waiting time. Near by, there are commercial nurseries; a few weeks ago I saw extremely nice grafted Booth 8 for sale at B 1000 per. I paid B 50 for mine, many years ago.

If you really want to grow avocado, do your homework carefully.

The trees have two basic origins, West Indies and Mexican/Guatemalan.

Hass is of Mexican origin, does not like humidity, it will be very problematic in Thailand. West Indian varieties do well but around here they will burn in direct sun, partial shelter works best. 

The ones pictured are "Peterson" and "Buccaneer"

 

Good luck

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you get the tomato seeds, every time I try on line tere is a restriction on deliveries to Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gwynt said:

Where do you get the tomato seeds, every time I try on line tere is a restriction on deliveries to Thailand?

I've ordered from plant-world-seeds.com a few times and haven't had a single problem with them, the seeds or deliveries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, soidog2 said:

Grafted Durians are available from just about every nursery, look around.

Arabica is beginning to show up in nurseries. Might take a little more legwork, depending on your location, definitely available.

For growing; where are you located? if in a very hot area, it needs to grow under tall trees canopy, I am in very hot Buriram; the coffee quality is excellent.

Avocado is quite difficult, my trees come from the PakCheong research station. They used to have a lovely grove with many varieties; some years ago they lost it all to floods. Now they are trying to recover but selection is limited with a very long waiting time. Near by, there are commercial nurseries; a few weeks ago I saw extremely nice grafted Booth 8 for sale at B 1000 per. I paid B 50 for mine, many years ago.

If you really want to grow avocado, do your homework carefully.

The trees have two basic origins, West Indies and Mexican/Guatemalan.

Hass is of Mexican origin, does not like humidity, it will be very problematic in Thailand. West Indian varieties do well but around here they will burn in direct sun, partial shelter works best. 

The ones pictured are "Peterson" and "Buccaneer"

 

Good luck

 

I have two Haas trees in the back garden. The one which is in partial shade looks good and is growing whereas the one out in the sun hasn't grown a cm in the past 12 months or so, despite regular manure/fertilizer and watering. Now I know why.

All my attempts to get Haas avocado trees/saplings from Pakchon have been in vain unfortunately. I'm not familiar with Peterson or Buccaneer. 

We live just down the road from you in Korat, near the Korat/Buriram border. 

Thanks for all the info! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, djayz said:

I have two Haas trees in the back garden.

Sounds harsh but if you want more than foliage, you need to plant something else. Even if they will ever get to flower and set fruit, the trees will abort it when it gets really hot in April/May /June.

We live on the other side of the Korat/Buriram border; our weather should be similar.

 

In ideal conditions (moderate night/day temperatures) there is enough interaction between the Male/Female flower stages in order for the trees to be kind of self pollinating.

That does not happen in 100F weather. To increase pollination chances you need to have a mix of "A" and "B" type trees. Canopies should be quite close; chosen "A"&"B" types need to flowers roughly at the same time.

There are some wonderful West Indian types out there , way better than Hass. I have a Pollock grown from seed that when it fruits, its simply out of this world. (http://www.flnurserymart.com/products/plants/pollock/)

Around here you will find: Booth 7/8, Buccaneer, and Peterson. 

 

Pollock pictures attached.

 

 

Picture 174C.jpg

445.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gwynt said:

Where do you get the tomato seeds, every time I try on line tere is a restriction on deliveries to Thailand?

I travel often and bring them with me; not much help, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, soidog2 said:

I travel often and bring them with me; not much help, sorry.

Thanks anyway I will try as suggested plant seed world .com ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2017 at 1:01 PM, djayz said:

I've ordered from plant-world-seeds.com a few times and haven't had a single problem with them, the seeds or deliveries. 

Thanks for the link, I have ordered and made payment so just wait and see for the delivery.

They have a great selection so hopefully all goes well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2017 at 3:28 PM, gwynt said:

Thanks for the link, I have ordered and made payment so just wait and see for the delivery.

They have a great selection so hopefully all goes well.

Received the seeds great service so will see how things go when the rain stops.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...