Walking Street: Has topless Go-Go become a No-No?

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It will relocate to other places but in a more subdued format.  Tourism will not be hurt by it's demise or relocation. The Western mongers will go somewhere else but the powers in charge don't care. there is more money in the Chinese and middle to upper class Thais that there is in Western tourists who get drunk and fight.  Bangkok is following the same pattern- the relocation has already started. Except in Bangkok- bars are moving out because they cannot afford the rent as the land prices are skyrocketing and they can't increase prices enough  to make up for lost revenue. The thing that may hasten all of this is the new excise tax on alcohol. Even if it is 10-20%- these  price increases will force some bars out of business.

Interesting post and good points.  It is true that Western Tourism is falling and will continue to do so.  Even the gap year tourism is likely to fall away, not that that brought in many dollars anyway.  Certainly China is a huge market if they can capture it successfully.  The package tour Chinese are not lucrative enough but their (newly rich) middle class tourists can bring in some serious bucks.  But will Thailand be able to really sanitise it's sex industry?  There is serous money being made out of it and many snouts in the trough.

Slowly but surely Burma is going to open up and I think that will be the draw for the Western market in the future.  Whether it will replace Thailand as the preferred  sex tourist destination remains to be seen but there would be an irony if the young ladies from Thailand went to Burma for the "opportunities".

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Topless and bottomless dancers are part of the local culture and charm of Thailand.  That is what many tourists say they go to Thailand for, the culture!  Seriously though the authorities need to leave the sex and debauchery alone.  It has it's place and Thailand is very good at it. 

And mostly perfectly natural!

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

The raids will not stop this time. Brown envelopes will not stop them. The raids are planned and conducted by the Army and a special Administrative unit that gets its orders from  another source.  The pressure will continue until the GoGo's close; relocate or simply change their format. The powers that be do not like them.

After the usual "crackdowns" business will revert to normal, as the police have a vested interest that they should stay open, either in terms of brown envelopes or in actual ownership.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

It will relocate to other places but in a more subdued format.  Tourism will not be hurt by it's demise or relocation. The Western mongers will go somewhere else but the powers in charge don't care. there is more money in the Chinese and middle to upper class Thais that there is in Western tourists who get drunk and fight.  Bangkok is following the same pattern- the relocation has already started. Except in Bangkok- bars are moving out because they cannot afford the rent as the land prices are skyrocketing and they can't increase prices enough  to make up for lost revenue. The thing that may hasten all of this is the new excise tax on alcohol. Even if it is 10-20%- these  price increases will force some bars out of business.

Without sex what would Pattaya have to offer?

Nature,arts,culture,scenic beauty?

No my friend alls Pattaya has is shopping malls and sex....

18 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

After the usual "crackdowns" business will revert to normal, as the police have a vested interest that they should stay open, either in terms of brown envelopes or in actual ownership.

Yes my fiend but it is not the police doing the crackdown and that is the point.  It is the army and they have had a running battle with the police for many years.  In Thaksin's day the police ran the show and now with the Junta the army runs the show.  A little knowledge of how Thailand works may help you to understand.

Just now, dunroaming said:

Yes my fiend but it is not the police doing the crackdown and that is the point.  It is the army and they have had a running battle with the police for many years.  In Thaksin's day the police ran the show and now with the Junta the army runs the show.  A little knowledge of how Thailand works may help you to understand.

And you think that the army will continue this "crackdown" indefinitely?   Once they tire of this exercise and leave Pattaya, the police will again take over.  The army have been in control now for four years and there is little evidence of any top police being jailed, although I will admit that quite a few have suffered the horrendous fate of being transferred to an inactive post, which clearly shows that the army really mean business.

Incidentally, I did not notice that the army's influence with the errant monk episode produced much by way of results, short term or long term.

I find it interesting that people are missing the fact that the charges were not for topless dancing but

being open past closing time.

allowing underage drinking

allowing drug usage

having shisha pipes and equipment

These are things that are illegal  in every country (except for shisha)  The raid was not for topless dancers but because there was a complaint of underage drinking.

This is a good raid and does nothing to hurt the Farang tourist.  The girls still parade with tops on in the bars and the last time i was at Patpong the clubs were doing quite nice thank you.

12 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Once they tire of this exercise and leave Pattaya, the police will again take over.  

And what would trigger that?  I agree that the crackdown on Pattaya and other police controlled sex venues will not go on indefinitely but this is a simple army versus police situation that has gone on for many years.  The police were Thaksin's boys and they ruled the roost while he was in power.  After the Thaksin coup the army now rules the roost.  The conflict is far more than just the sex industry, it also encapsulates the drug industry that has historically been controlled by the police or haven't you noticed the increase in drug busts.  This is about who controls Thailand and the army are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Don't get the reference to the monk situation, what has that got to do with the crackdown on the police?

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You don't have much heart at all, don't you know that there are parents all over the world who have lost their children through drugs? Maybe you should stop being sarcastic.

Maybe you should mind your own business.

3 hours ago, sanukjim said:

The local BIB will continue to seek the brown envelops to allow different forms of entertainment as that is how that they are paying for their families Mercs but the army of LOS tell the BIB what clubs to raid (notice that all the clubs are not put on notice to stop these activities) .These raids are the army's way of showing the BIB who realy is in charge.The army still remember the way that they were treated when Taksin (the ex cop) was in charge.

I don`t think so.

This has all the hallmarks as when the police began enforcing restrictions on bars in Chiang Mai about 15 years ago. I bet the raids and restrictions will become more and more intense in Pattaya and probably in other parts of the country. Seems they really mean business this time.

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Not if you pay the right dough, dough !

I have always wondered why drive all the way up the original Walking Street to find one unlegal business when the Beach Walking Street in front of the Police Station is unlegal from the beginning to the end - so this may be the answer...;)

Am I missing something?  The headlines mentions Go Go and Nudity, then the news or the rest of the article is about a raid on Dance 2?  from the description this seems to be a Thai club/disco unless I miss a Go Go called Dance 2, that is located in W.S.?

What we got here too " Fake Media "?

13 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Am I missing something?  The headlines mentions Go Go and Nudity, then the news or the rest of the article is about a raid on Dance 2?  from the description this seems to be a Thai club/disco unless I miss a Go Go called Dance 2, that is located in W.S.?

What we got here too " Fake Media "?

Insurance rates could be on the rise and some insurers are slow off the mark and need a little nudge. As the name of that town in Newfoundland Canada reminds me of the BIB they do not "Come By Chance"

5 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

So? I'm talking about people having sex in public, which part you can't understand?

Seen that in Thailand too. Admittedly 15 years ago..... part of a stage performance.  Would not go to look for it though, but did not bother me too much. 

6 hours ago, mogoso said:

If you were going backwards in time, the bras wouldn't be worn. I'm not sure of the exact time maybe the 1920-30s a law was enacted that women had to have their tops covered in public. Until that time it was optional.

478x315xsongkran-bare-breasted-painting.jpg.pagespeed_ic.xCqu2Jnc6rEqtTHmoHa8.webp

My dad visited me from florida he was surprised they not topless. He said its much better gogos in FL.

I even went one in Canada and was mad

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

My dad visited me from florida he was surprised they not topless. He said its much better gogos in FL.

I even went one in Canada and was mad

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

FL has better go-gos and some counties allow full nudity. Skilled in the art of the pole, mostly college girls with southern charm.

10 hours ago, Hayduke said:

It doesn’t matter. Tourists come to Pattaya for the trekking, bird watching,  wildlife photography, and the spectacular natural scenery. They aren’t interested in these distasteful shenanigans.

Yes, AND.......According to the General and PM they will also be coming to learn the 'Thai" language.   Which as he predicts will replace the English language around the world as language (or second language) of choice.    While he was speaking to a graduating class he confirmed his theory by telling the students that Thai has 44 letters and one word can mean many things just by changing the tone.......
This was in an article on ThaiVisa recently................. LOL............

Aussie's ...end of story ..traveling to Thailand. Because if anyone want's to see beach of rain forest ...then must out of his/her mind.....

There is much much better in Australia and cleaner,safer (and no one will check your urine) ...hence no girls no trips. Simple as that.

Instead of fighting street crime they fighting with everything else which kills natural Thai life which was making money for ages .

Well, if there no tourists then no reason to rob farangs or do deals ... Simple nice kinder garden...

It's sad ..but there is still some other countries around the world just hungry for our dollar (and still not greedy as LOS ) ...

11 hours ago, Hayduke said:

It doesn’t matter. Tourists come to Pattaya for the trekking, bird watching,  wildlife photography, and the spectacular natural scenery. They aren’t interested in these distasteful shenanigans.

And of course to swim in the clean pristine Gulf of Thailand and to lounge on the clean pattaya beach sand

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Interesting post and good points.  It is true that Western Tourism is falling and will continue to do so.  Even the gap year tourism is likely to fall away, not that that brought in many dollars anyway.  Certainly China is a huge market if they can capture it successfully.  The package tour Chinese are not lucrative enough but their (newly rich) middle class tourists can bring in some serious bucks.  But will Thailand be able to really sanitise it's sex industry?  There is serous money being made out of it and many snouts in the trough.

Slowly but surely Burma is going to open up and I think that will be the draw for the Western market in the future.  Whether it will replace Thailand as the preferred  sex tourist destination remains to be seen but there would be an irony if the young ladies from Thailand went to Burma for the "opportunities".

I don`t accept all that you say. The decline in western tourism and increase in the Chinese tourist market in Thailand is deliberate policy.

Western style entertainments, beer bars and go go bars have been eroded over the years, plus the duel pricing policies and many scams aimed at western tourists has been putting the off visiting the country.  The TAT has been placing a lot of effort into attracting the Chinese whereas it`s been the total opposite for westerners.

No getting away from it, the Thai sex industry has been a boon for Thailand, attracting millions each year and providing employment for those who would otherwise be destitute or in low paying slave labour type jobs. This has been all about image and the myth that the Chinese are going to make Thailand boom, that will never happen.

9 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Why would Chinese rich enough to go anywhere they want ever choose someplace like Pattaya for their holidays?  In numbers anyway.  Nope - if that's what Thais are thinking then they certainly are dreaming...

Archived