Uninsured

asialife

When i left my country i had insurance. But that got cancelled after 3 weeks of me being in Thailand. So now I am in a situation that getting new insurance is a really big hassle. My health history and current overweight makes it hard to get insured.

Now I was wondering about a route i could take to get travel insurance. For example, i could fly out of the country and stay a day or two in another country. Get travel insurance and fly back to Thailand.

Any advise on this matter would be appreciated.

To add:  I would rather get something for a longer period. Let's say a year and it should be good for Asia and Europe. But i am not sure if you have to get this in the country where you are registered or if you can get it in any country you are in, assuming you are leaving that country to travel to other countries.

if necessary, I could produce a ticket that proves i was in the country when the insurance started. But would i need a return ticket to that same country as well.

Questions like this I'm wondering about. 

Of course, After a week of talking to insurers and searching the web, I couldn't find anything. I create a  thread and 10 minutes later i find the answer via google.

So done!

It's not cheap i might add, and if you want something for a long term, I would still suggest looking into other options. For example, coverage for a year would cost 5 to 6 hundred USD less in Malaysia. 

34 minutes ago, asialife said:

To add:  I would rather get something for a longer period. Let's say a year and it should be good for Asia and Europe. But i am not sure if you have to get this in the country where you are registered or if you can get it in any country you are in, assuming you are leaving that country to travel to other countries.

if necessary, I could produce a ticket that proves i was in the country when the insurance started. But would i need a return ticket to that same country as well.

Questions like this I'm wondering about. 

You are not looking for travel insurance - instead, you are looking for health insurance. Travel insurance will have all sorts of conditions concerning how long you can be away on any one trip.

I  have exactly the same potential problems that you have.

My solution  has 2 parts

1) Save as much money as possible. Clearly the money that you plan to spend on air flights can go into your fund.

2) Register myself with Bangkok state  hospitals

My experience tells me that state hospitals  in Bangkok are  truly excellent and very low cost.

All the best doctors wish to reside in Bangkok.

53 minutes ago, Delight said:

My solution  has 2 parts

1) Save as much money as possible. Clearly the money that you plan to spend on air flights can go into your fund.

My experience tells me that state hospitals  in Bangkok are  truly excellent and very low cost.

Is registering for public hospitals difficult? Surely you would have to speak some Thai to complete the paperwork?

1 hour ago, Delight said:

My solution  has 2 parts

What experience?

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Is registering for public hospitals difficult? Surely you would have to speak some Thai to complete the paperwork?

Yes you will need a native Thai to assist you. My wife in my case. However not difficult to pay a few hundred baht  for that service. Other than that you only need your passport

Should you need to actually use such a hospital -again you will need help. I could now do it by myself.

9 minutes ago, Delight said:

Yes you will need a native Thai to assist you. My wife in my case. However not difficult to pay a few hundred baht  for that service. Other than that you only need your passport

Should you need to actually use such a hospital -again you will need help. I could now do it by myself.

But if you speak some Thai it should be possible to register without the assistance of a Thai person.

2 minutes ago, Spock said:

But if you speak some Thai it should be possible to register without the assistance of a Thai person.

I actually can speak some Thai. You will also need to read and write Thai

The problem was not just the language -its also finding your away around the place.

The hospital that I used is huge

Finding your away around the place -alone -would be a major challenge. I absolutely do not recommend it.

These are Thai hospital. The medical care is excellent .

Do not expect to be given 'Rolls Royce 'treatment with respect to  the administration

The doctors speak English. The administrators do not

Could you inform us a bit about your treatment experience and the charge that you paid for it? Specifically, what about the care causes you to rate it as excellent?  Were you treated with chemotherapy, radiation or some other treatment to kill the cancer?  Are you experiencing good follow-up care?

My solution  has 2 parts

Why register yourself?

sent using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Could you inform us a bit about your treatment experience and the charge that you paid for it? Specifically, what about the care causes you to rate it as excellent?  Were you treated with chemotherapy, radiation or some other treatment to kill the cancer?  Are you experiencing good follow-up care?

The treatment which I received is called Radiation Plaque. The internet has much to say about it

I was in a private ward (with my wife ) for 4 nights. I had 2 major operations during that time.

The total cost was 175000 Baht. It is the cost of the actual Radiating Plaque that bumps up the price. They are very expensive any where on the planet

The follow up is perfect.

That said remember it is a Thai hospital. So I arrive at 9.000am will spend less than 30 mins. with  medical professionals   and leave at 3.00 pm

The last time ,as always , my experience involved a heavy duty photographic session and time in front of the eye doctor. It has been the same doctor throughout. Cost 700 Baht.

My doctor tells me that there are ,on average,only 10 cases a year of this condition in Thailand. During  my time I was the only Farang

For that reason the private sector has no interest.

My other option was to have the eye removed. Private can do that.

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why register yourself?

sent using Tapatalk

Do  you mean  why bother to register

Other than an emergencies  everybody  has to register. Thai and Farang

You cannot just walk in.

I registered on the day of my admission.

4 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

THis is a scam for spamming Not a real person with medical problems

Give me a break

Haha, i can see why you would think this. But I'm not working for nomads or making money of this in any other way. But i wish you were right...NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS. Where do i sign :-)

I'm only going to be in Thailand for a short time. I had great insurance in my country, but when I left, i also was flagged as immigrated. This took my right on a certain health insurance. I didn't know this.

Anyway, within a few months I'll get new insurance through my employer in the country where i will reside. But, next to that i will make sure to always have travel insurance.

Tnx all for responding

Do  you mean  why bother to register

Other than an emergencies  everybody  has to register. Thai and Farang
You cannot just walk in.
I registered on the day of my admission.

Yes, but what is the point, it doesn't help with any kind of treatment.

sent using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Delight said:

My solution  has 2 parts

I think your one stop shopping best advice is here. Save your money. I have seen people come here and splurge on implants and so many other thing that are expensive and maybe not required and then when an emergency comes along the piggy bank is empty or low. Pick your priorities carefully. Don't outlive your money. 

In the direct sense you are correct.

Anticipating your future medical problems will be difficult.

If you anticipate no future medical issues then  there is little point in gaining the experience

My initial response was to the OP who was seeking information on access to insurance . It appeared that that was proving difficult.

I was simply suggesting alternatives at a lower cost that the private sector in Thailand.

For certain gaining some understanding of the Thai hospital system -ahead of time -will pay dividends.

I actually spent  around 150,000 baht -going down blind alleys , with the private sector before I found the only doctor -and the only hospital-that could help with  my problem

9 minutes ago, Delight said:

In the direct sense you are correct.

Anticipating your future medical problems will be difficult.

If you anticipate no future medical issues then  there is little point in gaining the experience

My initial response was to the OP who was seeking information on access to insurance . It appeared that that was proving difficult.

I was simply suggesting alternatives at a lower cost that the private sector in Thailand.

For certain gaining some understanding of the Thai hospital system -ahead of time -will pay dividends.

I actually spent  around 150,000 baht -going down blind alleys , with the private sector before I found the only doctor -and the only hospital-that could help with  my problem

The word anticipate is the fly in the ointment. Paying 150,000 bahts going down blind alleys is understandable. Hope your problem is getting better. 

I may be reading things incorrectly but it sounds like you wish to defraud the insurance company. At  least you risk them not paying out if you have taken travel insurance and they determine you actually live here and were not traveling.

Be very sure of the T/Cs of any policy you consider.

Go and see a local insurance broker for their advice. Insurance companies are not in the business to lose money and good domestic insurance is expensive. If as you say you have a health history there will be exclusions that may even make it a waste of money. Have you considered whether you can 'self insure', which simply means having your own money here to cover eventualities.

Thailand is not a place to have health issues with no money.

Too add a bit about travel insurance.

When you have a claim you will be asked to copy all the pages of your passport (and or show it to someone in person). From the passport they can determine where you have been going (and or not going). In other words they will determine in THEIR self interest, whether you have truly been traveling or not. And you will also likely be asked to make certain statements about your situation. 

So, if you go on vacation and have a heart attack you will likely be covered, but not if you go on vacation and have the first clear signs of diabetes and start needing treatment for that. (As an example) Travel insurance is meant for circumstances that need to be dealt with “right then and there” rather than being able to wait until one gets back home.

15 hours ago, Spock said:

Not required to speak Thai, read or write Thai.

Bring a Thai along for communicating and filling out any paperwork.

The Government Hospitals I been registered in most nurses and all doctors could speak understandable English and provided help with paperwork.

Some of them are really good and some not.

Ask a Thai which one to use.:smile:

Many discussions about health insurance in Thailand for persons over seventy have, in the end, found self-insurance to be the best solution.  Regarding the national hospital option, Delight, exercising much patience in waiting for services at his hospital, does seem to have gotten a good deal with treatment for his eye cancer.  I paid ten times the amount that he paid for his eye care for 3 heart stents at Bumrungrad.   At the time I was working for good pay and was able to deduct 100% of the cost from my Japanese income tax so I didn't mind.  It's a much more generous deduction scheme than the one that applies to US taxes.

Archived