Where to get a gun permit in korat

Machz69x

Your wife goes to the Amphur and fills a form out. She then takes it to the police station who will take here thumb print and send it away to confirm she isn't a known ex criminal. That takes a few weeks. You then collect your permit and go buy the gun.

2 hours ago, sinbin said:

Your wife goes to the Amphur and fills a form out. She then takes it to the police station who will take here thumb print and send it away to confirm she isn't a known ex criminal. That takes a few weeks. You then collect your permit and go buy the gun.

I don't think it's that easy.. I believe you need to meet with the city Mayor and discuss why your wife needs a gun. 

i love guns and have many in nz but i would not have one in thailand. need to keep things simple in thailand to have a good life.

Agree. A friend ('s wife) got one and the police suggested to him the reason being

1) large farm with expensive equipment.

2) near to a border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

the gun permit is only for use   of the permit holder   full stop

In theory you're right. I/we had a Czech .22 rifle. Do the police firmly believe my wife used it? Many illegal guns around here on the border. If it came to me using a gun to protect my own then the law can get to ...............................

26 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Agree. A friend ('s wife) got one and the police suggested to him the reason being

2) near to a border.

guns require practice to be effective. i have done a fair amount of shooting, pistols, shotguns, rifles and even machine guns in the army reserves. shooting anything living/moving is near impossible. under stress forget about it unless you have experience in those situations. like some one mentioned only the permit holder will be legally allowed to train with the fire arm so i am not sure how you would go about training.

In order to get a firearms license it's necessary to show the reason. The main and easiest reason is that you have 1 million baht worth of property in your possession (owning your own house would and is ample proof of that). You then go to the gun shop and they will arrange for you to get the fingerprints taken and a simple police check (for Thai applicants) which takes around 10 days. The permit is then given and you can buy your gun. It's not a problem for Thai citizens at all as long as no criminal history. Our gun is licensed to my wife and has been for a few years now but I am the main user which is accepted in (Thai) law as long as the holder of the license gives permission and/or is present with you. Use of the gun in terms of protection is yet another matter though and although, if needed, it would be me that would use it in an emergency or life threatening slituation, i would need to hand the gun to my wife before the police arrived and for her to accept that she shot the person ;)  Concealed carry is another thing and a lot harder to get a license for, even for Thai citizens.

getting a license as a foreigner can be done but it is a more complicated matter involving interpol checks for criminal history, etc.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

guns require practice to be effective. i have done a fair amount of shooting, pistols, shotguns, rifles and even machine guns in the army reserves. shooting anything living/moving is near impossible. under stress forget about it unless you have experience in those situations. like some one mentioned only the permit holder will be legally allowed to train with the fire arm so i am not sure how you would go about training.

might as well practice in the back yard with the dog,but do not try with people,no matter who they may be,you are not permitted to have a gun,and if you are just looking to have a pop shot at somebody you are already in trouble. Settle down and have another beer.

might as well practice in the back yard with the dog,but do not try with people,no matter who they may be,you are not permitted to have a gun,and if you are just looking to have a pop shot at somebody you are already in trouble. Settle down and have another beer.

Or move home.

My farang friend bought a pistol from a cop and practices at the army base where he has a pass to get in, I think he has a permit for it too, If I see him soon I will get back on that. I went with him the 1st time as an army officer invited us, beer, whisky, lots of shooting, no thanks.

3 hours ago, sinbin said:

Are you winding me up?:smile:

Probably, there are a lot of gun haters on here. Do as the first replier said, go to the Amphur, then to the cops, the actual permit is something crazy like 6 Baht or something. As long as she isn't certified as a crazy, (you will probably need a letter from your Kam Nan / Pu Yai Baan too) but she should have no problem in getting a licence. I know a farang married to a Thai near me, they got the permits in a few weeks and purchased a couple of 12 gauge shotguns without any problem, however, be aware that the prices here are a bit crazy compared to somewhere like the USA - i.e a basic 12 Gauge is between 60-80K Baht.

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

2) near to a border.

It's perfectly OK to have a gun for sport shooting ... 2 gun and 3 gun.  Quite a number of Thai's I know in Bangkok have a large assortment of guns that the use for sport competition.  I could be wrong but shooting for fun seems a mor innocent pursuit than whacking trespassers.

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

Probably, there are a lot of gun haters on here. Do as the first replier said, go to the Amphur, then to the cops, the actual permit is something crazy like 6 Baht or something. As long as she isn't certified as a crazy, (you will probably need a letter from your Kam Nan / Pu Yai Baan too) but she should have no problem in getting a licence. I know a farang married to a Thai near me, they got the permits in a few weeks and purchased a couple of 12 gauge shotguns without any problem, however, be aware that the prices here are a bit crazy compared to somewhere like the USA - i.e a basic 12 Gauge is between 60-80K Baht.

By 'haters' , I assume you mean open minded non USA citizens !

9 hours ago, sinbin said:

It's not as easy as that.  It can take a few months.  Also the gun dealers have a limit on the number of guns they can sell.  You (your wife) first gets a Por 3 from the Amphur to purchase the gun. Your wife will need a police check.  As far as a reason, home defense and sport shooting should suffice.  After the purchase the dealer will work with you to obtain a Por 4 that is needed to possess the gun and purchase ammo.  If you have a specific gun in mind I'd suggest you start by talking to your local gun dealer to see if he has them in stock. Get a price list, find out how many of each make and model he has.  Especially if you have your heart set on a specific make and model.  And FYI, hand guns will run you approximately 5x what you would pay for the same gun in the US.  About 3x for rifles and shotgun.  Have fun.  Best of luck! :wink:

Foget buying a gun, death by a fork, its slower, more painful and might provide you with some satisfaction, besides when they are down and looking up at you, a couple of words to the effect of, " I forked you now haven't I mate" would be appropriate.

4 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Yes the new guns are expensive here but you can buy a decent pistol second hand from a copper. Machine guns are available on facebook.

Archived