Jump to content

Union pay versus Visa debit cards


Recommended Posts

I just contacted bangkok bank branch and hotline they both confirmed to me they stop issuing Visa debit cards and instead issue Union pay debit cards because a pin number must be entered for more security which I kind like it and it can only be used where places and websites show Union pay logo.  Any information regarding the spread use of the logo?  Otherwise I will have to open another bank account in different bank any suggestions of a better bank?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost no merchants accept UnionPay in experiences reported here - it works fine for ATM's for money withdrawal and have been able to use at Bangkok Hospital.  I also like the PIN plus signature feature but most places as just not set up for this and not about to change until/if they have to change.  Even the delivery firms such at Lotus which has hand scanners with them and would be easy do not list UnionPay as an option.  So it is just about useless for anything but ATM access at this time.:saai:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

I just used union pay ATM search engine in many countries and believe me the results are very disappointing, here is the link

http://cn.unionpay.com/front.do

 

I am going to open another bank account but I am kind of confused between which Thai banks offer hassle free banking services abroad.

What do you mean by "hassle free banking services abroad"?

 

I've been using Kasikorn Visa cards (debit and credit) abroad for years and have not experienced any hassle with either of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In bangkok bank I had to wait for 7 days for a Visa card that when it came was in a western style envelope with separate sealed paper with pin .  Before they just issued them over the counter in five minutes as now union pay and you typed in pin to a small machine.

I booked it as trying to steal visa's business.

Before I read this thread I thought all chipped cards required a Pin at checkout which is why many stores such as Global hardware could not accept my 'new' chipped visa card a while back because they did not have the 'new' machines required.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's interesting. No mention of VISA anymore on BKK Bank's webpage for their debit cards -- UnionPay only.

 

2017-03-14 16_19.jpg

 

Hard to imagine this is going to be a popular change with their customers.

 

The following purchase compatibility info is hardly re-assuring:

 

Quote

you can easily shop at any store in Thailand with the TPN_logo.png or UnionPay_logo.pngsign and across the world with the UnionPay_logo.pngand TravelMateAsia.pngsign.

 

I just checked my existing BKK Bank Be1st VISA debit card, and it has an expiration date about 1-1/2 years into the future. Wonder what's going to happen when it's time for a replacement debit card from BKK Bank?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just experienced a very excruciating experience the same as the poster. After banking with BKK for over 10 years this is entire experience was beyond stupid. Tried the main bank on Silom and 8 other branches only to receive differing stories from all of them. We are looking for a new bank.

 

After this experience my wife went to a nearby K Bank and received a new debit VISA card in 30 minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

We just experienced a very excruciating experience the same as the poster. After banking with BKK for over 10 years this is entire experience was beyond stupid. Tried the main bank on Silom and 8 other branches only to receive differing stories from all of them. We are looking for a new bank.

 

After this experience my wife went to a nearby K Bank and received a new debit VISA card in 30 minutes.

I had been using a be1st VISA Debit card for the last ten years. Note: no expiration date. For the past few weeks I have been getting notices at their ATM'S that this card will no longer be valid after 01 April. This is what started the entire mess noted above.

Yes I believe it is another attempt to push aside a global brand in order to enable their own non transparent and corruptible brand to prevail. I.e, Pepsi, Carlsberg, US Steel Dust, etc and I am sure a host of others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I had been using a be1st VISA Debit card for the last ten years. Note: no expiration date. For the past few weeks I have been getting notices at their ATM'S that this card will no longer be valid after 01 April. This is what started the entire mess noted above.

Yes I believe it is another attempt to push aside a global brand in order to enable their own non transparent and corruptible brand to prevail. I.e, Pepsi, Carlsberg, US Steel Dust, etc and I am sure a host of others.

You sure there is no expiration date on it....my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card was over 8 years old with I swapped it out for a Visa chipped card.  That old card had an expiration date on it.  The wife's did too.  I think the standard expiration date for Bangkok Bank debit cards is 10 years from date of issue...give or take a few months.  The new Visa chipped card I got had a 10 year expiration date on it.

 

Like the images below I googled-up  of an old style (non-chipped) Bangkok Bank debit card....the expiration date is just to the right of the EXP letters....and it may or may not have a issue month/year to the left side of the card.

 

Since  you said you had been using the card for around 10 years I expect that 1 April notic to you the card is almost expired....nothing to do with them trying to force a UnionPay card on you although I'm sure they would like you to get a UnionPay card.

 

Capture.JPG

 

Capture.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether your Be 1st Visa card has or hasn't an expiration date is not the issue, the issue is Bangkok bank has done a very unprofessional way of forcing customers specially non Thais to use Chinese Union pay over the well known and used around the globe Visa brand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I just contacted bangkok bank branch and hotline they both confirmed to me they stop issuing Visa debit cards and instead issue Union pay debit cards because a pin number must be entered for more security which I kind like it and it can only be used where places and websites show Union pay logo.  Any information regarding the spread use of the logo?  Otherwise I will have to open another bank account in different bank any suggestions of a better bank?

They haven't stopped issuing visa debit cards, maybe making it harder so demand one or take your custom to another bank or just try another branch if it's an account opening.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Be1stSmart/Pages/Default.aspx

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Linesy said:

They haven't stopped issuing visa debit cards, maybe making it harder so demand one or take your custom to another bank or just try another branch if it's an account opening.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Be1stSmart/Pages/Default.aspx

Please read the above posts, call Bangkok bank or visit the nearest branch, it is over buddy, the Chinese are taking over Bangkok bank.:smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...