Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Issuance of driving licenses to be tightened to improve road safety

Recommended Posts

Issuance of driving licenses to be tightened to improve road safety

 

1403003-license.jpg

 

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry is amending a ministerial regulation to tighten up the issuance of driving licenses and the renewal of driving licenses by making in mandatory for the applicants to attend a training session of up to 15 hours instead of just 3-4 hours as it is the case now.

 

The draft ministerial regulation is now being fine-tuned by the Council of State before it is submitted to the Transport Ministry to be announced, said Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit, adding he expects the new regulation to become enforced within this year.

 

He said the new ministerial regulation was intended to set a new standard of road safety and to improve the discipline of car drivers.

 

Meanwhile, Land Transport Department director-general Sanit Promwong said, under the new regulation, applicants for driving licenses or drivers who want to renew their driving licenses would be required to go through a training session of up to 15 hours from today’s 3-4 hours and pass both the written and driving tests organized by the private sector.

 

The Land Transport Department will only serve in its capacity as the supervisory body and responsible for issuing driving licenses and renewal of licenses.

 

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/issuance-driving-licenses-tightened-improve-road-safety/

 
thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<deleted> 15 hour training session to renew a driving licence ! looks like there will be more unlicenced drivers then there is already. A brilliant Thai Initative a better idea would be to have all drivers and riders licenced and taught to drive correctly !!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try proper law enforcement to change habits of drivers. Just might work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand needs to teach it's children how

to behave,   then in 30 years time you may see the results.

The adults now in Thailand,   are a lost cause on the roads.

Selfish,  Dangerous , murderous  , just to mention a few.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Here's an idea, put many more police on the roads, not those with the

palms starched out and with less than caring attitude to what really

need to be done out there to fix the traffic problems,

I'd like to see those high ranking traffic management's police officers

actually standing on the roads every now and than assessing the situations

and seeing with their own eyes what's

going on instead of hiding in their air conditioned opulent  offices...

and that will be a good start....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It simply won't work. Those who 'fail' will simply grease a palm and, hey presto! A driving licence appears. As is the case now. As long as there's corruption things cannot change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Thailand needs to teach it's children how

to behave,   then in 30 years time you may see the results.

The adults now in Thailand,   are a lost cause on the roads.

Selfish,  Dangerous , murderous  , just to mention a few.

 

 

 

Who then should teach the children now when the adults are a lost cause?

 

The babies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

It simply won't work. Those who 'fail' will simply grease a palm and, hey presto! A driving licence appears. As is the case now. As long as there's corruption things cannot change. 

Easy to counter.

 

Those drivers caught driving badly would be retested and the finances of the tester who signed and passed them the first time would be scrutinized.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is not about handling a vehicle it's about law enforcement. Road blocks in the morning and afternoon is not good enough. 

Lots of motorcycles with no tail lights, hardly anybody pulls over for an ambulance. Need more patrol cars.

Just sounds like overtime for the boys and more paper.

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ezzra said:

 

Here's an idea, put many more police on the roads, not those with the

palms starched out and with less than caring attitude to what really

need to be done out there to fix the traffic problems,

I'd like to see those high ranking traffic management's police officers

actually standing on the roads every now and than assessing the situations

and seeing with their own eyes what's

going on instead of hiding in their air conditioned opulent  offices...

and that will be a good start....

Forget the BiB.

 

Each province and city should form a new force for policing traffic, including their own traffic courts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, trogers said:

Easy to counter.

 

Those drivers caught driving badly would be retested and the finances of the tester who signed and passed them the first time would be scrutinized.

 

 

But that's just it.......those who are currently caught behaving badly grease a palm and are waved on their way - often with a smile. Strict enforcement is the answer, I agree with you, but corruption has to be eliminated first, surely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, trogers said:

Who then should teach the children now when the adults are a lost cause?

 

The babies?

Ridiculous question......but a very valid and poignant one at the same time. This is why Thailand is where it is. It's almost a lost cause as I feel that nobody really wants change. If they did, they could, and would. The whole system is broken, hence your question. The whole police force needs firing, and then rehiring with good people without preconceptions of what a police office is/does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

But that's just it.......those who are currently caught behaving badly grease a palm and are waved on their way - often with a smile. Strict enforcement is the answer, I agree with you, but corruption has to be eliminated first, surely. 

That's the answer below.

 

18 minutes ago, trogers said:

Forget the BiB.

 

Each province and city should form a new force for policing traffic, including their own traffic courts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This needs to be looked at again, I can see the benefit for people getting their first licence or for people who lose their licence through a ban - it is a step in the right direction

 

but for people who are simply  renewing their licence this is ridiculous

 

whoever came up with this nonsense needs to think again - utter complete stupidity and not workable 

 

and as already suggested above, you improve road safety through proper law enforcement and heavy punishment for those caught, concentrate on the top known issues like using mobile devices - drunk driving etc etc, also run a series of short educational road safety videos on prime TV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...