Issuance of driving licenses to be tightened to improve road safety

webfact

4 hours ago, smedly said:

again you are missing it, it is not about sitting through a video

This is about going through a driving school for lessons and sitting the written  test and passing a driving test just to renew your licence, it is quite frankly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of being suggested in Thailand, yes there is bad driving here but this won't fix it

The irony is that just to renew your Thai driving licence you are going to be given driving lessons  by someone far less qualified to drive than you are and have to pay for it lol

If its the whole thing (Exam, etc.) then it could match well with their recent ruling to allow driving schools to administer the test and license as well.

Could simply save time: Show up to school, pay 3k + 1k tip, leave in 5 days with the license.  (Attendance optional).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JayBird said:

If its the whole thing (Exam, etc.) then it could match well with their recent ruling to allow driving schools to administer the test and license as well.

Could simply save time: Show up to school, pay 3k + 1k tip, leave in 5 days with the license.  (Attendance optional).

Most probably what will happen - think those "visa agencies"...

Does this apply to those who already have a current foreign drivers license? I don't recall anyone telling us about any training at all when I posted the question on how to get one awhile ago; We are moving in July and will have non O visas to be converted into retirement visas once we arrive. We have one Malaysian and two US licenses. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, connda said:

People with simply drive without a license and pay the 400 THB fine when stopped.  There is no teeth in Thai motor vehicle laws. 

True, BUT insurance will show their teeth when you have an accident when driving without a (VALID) license  and they  have to pay out :wai:

Law enforcement is the only answer and could provide a good income for the country too, but it will never happen as bib off doing a second job

I drove down a stretch of road here last night about 4 miles, sat-nav went mad, bleeped 7 times, each bleep indicated a speed camera but have to say the driving standard was very good, except one who had a big bore exhaust on his small slow car, he must have been from this neck of the woods.

Law enforcement works here but not in the LOSu, lack of something then??

ok so most agree that this is nonsense

but lets take a look at what is really going on

we have so called private companies taking over some government responsibilities

Those private companies will be generating income based on government policy

anyone else see the real picture here 

and who owns these driving schools ?????

what amazes me about Thailand is the so obvious wood on wood mentality and they actually believe people buy this (deleted)

someone is set to make a shitload of money from this and that is the only part of it that actually makes sense

you gotta laugh

lets see in 5 years time looking back how Thailand roads became so much safer - if I was a gambling man and it was allowed in Thailand I'd bet the very shirt off my back 

This is all about some uneducated  dimwhit that thinks people will actually believe this nonsense 

money money money 

18 hours ago, smedly said:

there is of course the possibility that foreigners holding a licence from certain approved countries who already have driving credentials will avoid any of this as is the case right now

This would make complete sense, which is probably why it won't happen. Lol. That said, this is how I got my Thai licence in the first place, by simply producing my UK one and undergoing a colour blindness test. That was it. Fingers crossed this will carry over to renewals.

18 hours ago, smedly said:

there is of course the possibility that foreigners holding a licence from certain approved countries who already have driving credentials will avoid any of this as is the case right now

Not really. When you apply to renew your 5 year license you will need to pay the 6000 bht and do same same as the Thais.

Most likely, if you have two licenses as I do,the bill will be 12 000 bht. Motorcycle licence--car licence. Just wonder when they will start the driving classes for the motorcycle licenses... if they haven't already.

Instead of road toll being 16,000 it will be 15,999 per year What a load of rubbish these GPS are Its the bloody drivers behind the wheels that are the problem They dont know how to drive and know the rules. I going to make a prediction  Road toll this year 2017 20,000 dead Yah Thailand will be Number 1 in the world  How sad

6 hours ago, smedly said:

ok so most agree that this is nonsense

but lets take a look at what is really going on

we have so called private companies taking over some government responsibilities

Those private companies will be generating income based on government policy

anyone else see the real picture here 

and who owns these driving schools ?????

what amazes me about Thailand is the so obvious wood on wood mentality and they actually believe people buy this (deleted)

someone is set to make a shitload of money from this and that is the only part of it that actually makes sense

you gotta laugh

lets see in 5 years time looking back how Thailand roads became so much safer - if I was a gambling man and it was allowed in Thailand I'd bet the very shirt off my back 

This is all about some uneducated  dimwhit that thinks people will actually believe this nonsense 

money money money 

but there is also a powerful auto industry lobby and they aren't going to like this

Completly insane idea. What about the lifetime driving license holders? Thinking only about mother-in-law who has it for lifetime. She drives like a insane badass never had to pass a test nor will but i have to do it soon every 5 years.....<deleted> insane.

11 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Not really. When you apply to renew your 5 year license you will need to pay the 6000 bht and do same same as the Thais.

Most likely, if you have two licenses as I do,the bill will be 12 000 bht. Motorcycle licence--car licence. Just wonder when they will start the driving classes for the motorcycle licenses... if they haven't already.

I welcome this initiative. My wife recently completed the driver training at the well established school in Udon Thani and I know a number of Thais who are now competent drivers having completed the same course. My wife also completed the motorcycle training there which cost 900 THB.

We were given a 'heads up' on what was coming when she went to sign on. According to the manager there, this is a 'once only' training. Once the DLT have been presented with a pass certificate, that will remain on file and the driver will not  have to retake the test on licence renewal. The test on renewal will only apply to drivers who have not undergone the training.

I very much doubt whether foreigners will be required to take the test on renewal. If we were deemed to be competent on initial issue of our licence(s), there should be no reason to have any doubts on renewal. I think your fears are unfounded LaztSlipper. But I would suggest that foreigners hang on to their home country licences, even if they are expired, just in case!

Yes, I hear all the naysayers, always ready to mock anything that this country tries. And I agree that this is only one aspect of the many problems that need to be resolved, but it is an important first step which I fully support.

Take all drivers license away from Thai nationals and allow only Farangs to drive in Thailand. You will see road safety at its finest. Also, road rage would be greatly reduced.

If only........................................

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:59 AM, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, put many more police on the roads, not those with the

palms starched out and with less than caring attitude to what really

need to be done out there to fix the traffic problems,

I'd like to see those high ranking traffic management's police officers

actually standing on the roads every now and than assessing the situations

and seeing with their own eyes what's

going on instead of hiding in their air conditioned opulent  offices...

and that will be a good start....

Here's another idea.

Pay the police first a decent salary and not the pittance they do now.

Also, a police officer has to buy his/her own gun, uniform and, if patrolling, motorcycle.

Change these things first and a police officer does not have to think, all day long, how to supplement his/her income.

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I welcome this initiative. My wife recently completed the driver training at the well established school in Udon Thani and I know a number of Thais who are now competent drivers having completed the same course. My wife also completed the motorcycle training there which cost 900 THB.

We were given a 'heads up' on what was coming when she went to sign on. According to the manager there, this is a 'once only' training. Once the DLT have been presented with a pass certificate, that will remain on file and the driver will not  have to retake the test on licence renewal. The test on renewal will only apply to drivers who have not undergone the training.

I very much doubt whether foreigners will be required to take the test on renewal. If we were deemed to be competent on initial issue of our licence(s), there should be no reason to have any doubts on renewal. I think your fears are unfounded LaztSlipper. But I would suggest that foreigners hang on to their home country licences, even if they are expired, just in case!

Yes, I hear all the naysayers, always ready to mock anything that this country tries. And I agree that this is only one aspect of the many problems that need to be resolved, but it is an important first step which I fully support.

I REALLY hope you are right  moonlover, but I doubt that foreigners will be excluded. If anything, just as in national parks, there will be a falang price. But... maybe if they don't have an English version of the course we might be excluded for a while. Wait and see ;)

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

I REALLY hope you are right  moonlover, but I doubt that foreigners will be excluded. If anything, just as in national parks, there will be a falang price. But... maybe if they don't have an English version of the course we might be excluded for a while. Wait and see ;)

Actually this has been updated by a new press release. The training on renewal is only one hour, not the full course. But, there is one caveat. My wife's friend allowed her licence to lapse and she had to retrain from scratch. They went through the course together. So watch out for that little trap!

But back to your opening line, a falang with qualifying foreign licence has long been excluded from driver training. The only test I had to do was braking and colour recognition I don't see why it should be any different now. But, like you say, we wait and see.

1 hour ago, MichaelJohn said:

The article omits to say how much you have to pay to be issued a licence without sitting the training session or exam????

Does it need to? That is not the topic. But since you mention it I paid 950 THB for car and motorcycle, just on a year ago. No test of any kind required. My only groan was the ghastly photo they took! :sad:

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Does it need to? That is not the topic. But since you mention it I paid 950 THB for car and motorcycle, just on a year ago. No test of any kind required. My only groan was the ghastly photo they took! :sad:

If you look like your licence or passport photo, then you need a holiday!   :shock1:

This sound no good to me! Six thousand for foreigners to get renew every five years, maybe yes but do you think that how many local will pay this amount? Is not that I looking down on the local, is the fact that this is a big amount to some people who come from the poor family and end up they just drive without renew it. I'm sorry to said this but is true!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

52 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

This sound no good to me! Six thousand for foreigners to get renew every five years, maybe yes but do you think that how many local will pay this amount? Is not that I looking down on the local, is the fact that this is a big amount to some people who come from the poor family and end up they just drive without renew it. I'm sorry to said this but is true!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I think you've skipped a few entries Anthony. A lot has gone since Lazyslipper's earlier post.

On 14/03/2017 at 3:59 PM, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, put many more police on the roads, not those with the

palms starched out and with less than caring attitude to what really

need to be done out there to fix the traffic problems,

I'd like to see those high ranking traffic management's police officers

actually standing on the roads every now and than assessing the situations

and seeing with their own eyes what's

going on instead of hiding in their air conditioned opulent  offices...

and that will be a good start....

The last thing thailand need is more toll booths.

Maybe if thy drove around instead of sitting in a police box or road block that would help

good move 3-4 hours is not enough to teach someone how to drive safely.

also please bring up the age required for motorbikes to 18. the age requirement now is only 15 years old. too young imo for Thai roads.

i also think there should be a point system for Thai licenses as well. for eg you get 24 points for a start and you get deducted each time for traffic offences depending on the severity of the offence.

then if in a year you manage to get yourself minus more than 24 points, you get your license suspended and you have to retake your training all over again.

of cos it takes good cops not to abuse the system and ask for bribes which we know will definitely happen.

Just a kind suggestion.

13 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

good move 3-4 hours is not enough to teach someone how to drive safely.

also please bring up the age required for motorbikes to 18. the age requirement now is only 15 years old. too young imo for Thai roads.

i also think there should be a point system for Thai licenses as well. for eg you get 24 points for a start and you get deducted each time for traffic offences depending on the severity of the offence.

then if in a year you manage to get yourself minus more than 24 points, you get your license suspended and you have to retake your training all over again.

of cos it takes good cops not to abuse the system and ask for bribes which we know will definitely happen.

Just a kind suggestion.

I am pleased to read that I am not the only one who is in favour of this new road safety initiative. And I certainly I do agree with the penalty point system. It works very well in the UK.

But the real problem is, of course, motorcycles. 80% of the accidents and the deaths on the roads involve them. I agree with you that 15 is too young to be on the roads, but the immediate response from the public would be 'how would our children get to school?' And it's a valid point. Just be outside any school/college/uni at 'school rush' time and you'd understand the issue. But they could, at least insist on proper training before receiving a license. Such training could even be imbedded in the school curriculum.

But even that does not address the real problem. The great majority of motorcycle accidents and deaths occur on rural roads in and around the villages, where there is no policing, no self discipline and often no parental guidance. In my wife's village, one Sunday morning I witnessed one of the well known village drunks sending a young girl of 12 or 13, off on a motorcycle, to buy his next ration of Loa Koaw for him. What lessons are being learned there?

Last Saturday we visited a friend in a village near Udon Thani. It was party day and a big rave was taking place in the temple grounds. (So much for good Buddhist moral guidance!) Just about everyone was crazy drunk and we witnessed the revellers departing at around 4 pm. The majority left on M/Cs, no helmets and blitzed out of their brains. We were not surprised to learn, later on, that there had been 3 M/C accidents in and around the village, one of them our own host's daughter-in-law.

Whilst these situations persist, I do see how any initiative, by the government will have any significant impact on the number of deaths on Thailand's roads. And I'm a borne optimist!

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I am pleased to read that I am not the only one who is in favour of this new road safety initiative. And I certainly I do agree with the penalty point system. It works very well in the UK.

But the real problem is, of course, motorcycles. 80% of the accidents and the deaths on the roads involve them. I agree with you that 15 is too young to be on the roads, but the immediate response from the public would be 'how would our children get to school?' And it's a valid point. Just be outside any school/college/uni at 'school rush' time and you'd understand the issue. But they could, at least insist on proper training before receiving a license. Such training could even be imbedded in the school curriculum.

But even that does not address the real problem. The great majority of motorcycle accidents and deaths occur on rural roads in and around the villages, where there is no policing, no self discipline and often no parental guidance. In my wife's village, one Sunday morning I witnessed one of the well known village drunks sending a young girl of 12 or 13, off on a motorcycle, to buy his next ration of Loa Koaw for him. What lessons are being learned there?

Last Saturday we visited a friend in a village near Udon Thani. It was party day and a big rave was taking place in the temple grounds. (So much for good Buddhist moral guidance!) Just about everyone was crazy drunk and we witnessed the revellers departing at around 4 pm. The majority left on M/Cs, no helmets and blitzed out of their brains. We were not surprised to learn, later on, that there had been 3 M/C accidents in and around the village, one of them our own host's daughter-in-law.

Whilst these situations persist, I do see how any initiative, by the government will have any significant impact on the number of deaths on Thailand's roads. And I'm a borne optimist!

alot of Good points to agree.

first off I would like to thank you for the love... :tongue:

but for this ---

"I agree with you that 15 is too young to be on the roads, but the immediate response from the public would be 'how would our children get to school?' And it's a valid point"

---(my argument) or would you rather they never get to school? If I value my own child's life, i would never put him/her as risk at such a young age.

just the other day my staff let her son of 15years take the bike out on a night against the father's wishes because she loves her son and wants to understand him being a teenager ( i do see her point in that ).

the son and his friend came out of the Soi, drove against traffic, crash into another oncoming drunk motorcyclist.

the son broke his leg. the bike was smash beyond repair. the friend was ok. the other motorcyclist hospitalise with no serious injuries. ( much worse could have happened ).

my step-daughter of 16 takes the school van to school. me and my wife personally check n followed the van a few times to make sure the driver is not a dangerous driver.  

1 hour ago, Moonmoon said:

alot of Good points to agree.

first off I would like to thank you for the love... :tongue:

but for this ---

"I agree with you that 15 is too young to be on the roads, but the immediate response from the public would be 'how would our children get to school?' And it's a valid point"

---(my argument) or would you rather they never get to school? If I value my own child's life, i would never put him/her as risk at such a young age.

just the other day my staff let her son of 15years take the bike out on a night against the father's wishes because she loves her son and wants to understand him being a teenager ( i do see her point in that ).

the son and his friend came out of the Soi, drove against traffic, crash into another oncoming drunk motorcyclist.

the son broke his leg. the bike was smash beyond repair. the friend was ok. the other motorcyclist hospitalise with no serious injuries. ( much worse could have happened ).

my step-daughter of 16 takes the school van to school. me and my wife personally check n followed the van a few times to make sure the driver is not a dangerous driver.  

If only there were more parents around who cared enough to take such precautions to ensure their children's safety as you obviously do. Sadly that is far from the case.

The case you raise really ought to emphasize the point I am making about training. Whilst I doubt if any anything will change regarding the age issue, if these kids were made to undergo compulsory training before being issued a licence, maybe your colleague's son would not have disregarded traffic rules and driven against the traffic! When my wife did her training, the dangers of this practise were well emphasized, as was riding under the influence of course.

I would also be very curious to know what, if any, punitive action was taken against the parties involved. As has been mentioned on this forum many times, law enforcement is the other weak link in this country.

And before I close out on this topic, here's another story that just goes to show that we're not all on the same page. A British friend of ours recently bought his girlfriend's 15 year old son a Honda CBR 150. We are all wondering what on earth was going through his mind! We all know that the kid can be a bit of a tearaway! So far good, but a few members of the family are pretty worried. And so they should be!

It's all about law enforcement.  In the UK and the USA and other places I am sure, the laws are enforced. No getting around it. If you break the law and get caught it is going to cost you.  I know in the U.S. the police get credit for tickets they write. Most towns and municipalities depend on traffic fines for their budget. 

The police are not allowed to take bribes and you are not allowed to offer one.  They will probably lose their job and you could be arrested.

Until the laws are enforced correctly, no amount of training is going to matter.  If you know you can and probably will get away with something, then chances are you will do it. 

Have every one of you never had a drink before driving? Could have got caught, but you knew a better way to get home so you wouldn't. The law didn't help in that scenario. You knew the law, but did it anyway........................................ 

1 hour ago, kowpot said:

It's all about law enforcement.  In the UK and the USA and other places I am sure, the laws are enforced. No getting around it. If you break the law and get caught it is going to cost you.  I know in the U.S. the police get credit for tickets they write. Most towns and municipalities depend on traffic fines for their budget. 

The police are not allowed to take bribes and you are not allowed to offer one.  They will probably lose their job and you could be arrested.

Until the laws are enforced correctly, no amount of training is going to matter.  If you know you can and probably will get away with something, then chances are you will do it. 

Have every one of you never had a drink before driving? Could have got caught, but you knew a better way to get home so you wouldn't. The law didn't help in that scenario. You knew the law, but did it anyway........................................ 

Yes, true. Very very true. There but for the grace of God and all that............

Archived