Issuance of driving licenses to be tightened to improve road safety

webfact

1 hour ago, kowpot said:

It's all about law enforcement.  In the UK and the USA and other places I am sure, the laws are enforced. No getting around it. If you break the law and get caught it is going to cost you.  I know in the U.S. the police get credit for tickets they write. Most towns and municipalities depend on traffic fines for their budget. 

The police are not allowed to take bribes and you are not allowed to offer one.  They will probably lose their job and you could be arrested.

Until the laws are enforced correctly, no amount of training is going to matter.  If you know you can and probably will get away with something, then chances are you will do it. 

Have every one of you never had a drink before driving? Could have got caught, but you knew a better way to get home so you wouldn't. The law didn't help in that scenario. You knew the law, but did it anyway........................................ 

I think the most notable difference between the mature nations and the developing world, Thailand included, is that we now stigmatize as a society, behavior such as drunk driving and dangerous behaviour on the roads. And we respect the law enforcers that we pay to ensure our safety. We have ceased, by and large, treating vehicles as play things and the roads as playgrounds. Here they have yet to acquire that mature attitude.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alot of Good points to agree.
first off I would like to thank you for the love... :tongue:

but for this ---
"I agree with you that 15 is too young to be on the roads, but the immediate response from the public would be 'how would our children get to school?' And it's a valid point"

---(my argument) or would you rather they never get to school? If I value my own child's life, i would never put him/her as risk at such a young age.

just the other day my staff let her son of 15years take the bike out on a night against the father's wishes because she loves her son and wants to understand him being a teenager ( i do see her point in that ).

the son and his friend came out of the Soi, drove against traffic, crash into another oncoming drunk motorcyclist.

the son broke his leg. the bike was smash beyond repair. the friend was ok. the other motorcyclist hospitalise with no serious injuries. ( much worse could have happened ).

my step-daughter of 16 takes the school van to school. me and my wife personally check n followed the van a few times to make sure the driver is not a dangerous driver.  

Is very good for you and your wife can have time to follow and check the driver, but for the poor family, do you think that they have time? No, they don't because they are more interesting/worry to make money for they living. That is the difference between rich and poor in this world.

Talking about the DL, is not only because of they age is 15. In my mon ban, there are few people driving without a DL ( age above 30 ) and I ask them why, they told me that they can't afford to pay for the test or not a issue to them as they are just driving in this small town.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

Is very good for you and your wife can have time to follow and check the driver, but for the poor family, do you think that they have time? No, they don't because they are more interesting/worry to make money for they living. That is the difference between rich and poor in this world.

Talking about the DL, is not only because of they age is 15. In my mon ban, there are few people driving without a DL ( age above 30 ) and I ask them why, they told me that they can't afford to pay for the test or not a issue to them as they are just driving in this small town.

the finance and monetary issue is definitely another issue and concern as well like you have pointed out. The well to do being able to do almost anything and everything. 

probably government subsidies or sponsorship should be looked into to provide free training for the poorer families. 

8 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

I have been thinking and something does not add up.

so after some research, I found some driving schools offering a 5 hour course for motorbike training and license plus all documentation work for getting a Thai license. It cost 2990 baht.

A yamaha mio, fino or honda wave easily cost about 40k THB.

if for 0% deposit and monthly payments might be about 2k to 3k for 1 motorbike.

If a poor family is able to fork out 40k or 2-3k each month for a bike but unable to pay 2990THB for a 5hour training and bike license just doesn't sound right to me. 

Its not that I don't have sympathy but if they can afford a motorbike which cost 20times more than a 5hour training and bike license then I cannot help but think it might just be an excuse. 

of cos I don't know how well these lessons are conducted and its up to the government to work that one out.

The really poor ones would be those who doesn't have a house or a even a motorbike to ride on.

And then when tragic accidents happens, everyone points fingers at the government for not educating or doing or having harsh enough laws to help the traffic situation. 

but when policies are rules are being made, most complain its too hard to follow, everyone has to make a living, no time, no money.

It really takes not just the government but also the citizens cooperation for the traffic situation in Thailand to improve.

most times I see and read on Thai social media when an accident occurs most of Thais like to comment and condemn reckless behaviour but when they driving themselves, they are as dangerous as the people they condemn.

I just wonder how many accidents are caused by defective vehicles (especially lights) and crazy dark tinted windows?
There are many things to improve, to stop the terrible road death figures here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wonder how many accidents are caused by defective vehicles (especially lights) and crazy dark tinted windows?
There are many things to improve, to stop the terrible road death figures here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, my daily "commute" is a lovely drive along the river into Chiang Rai. I see a vehicle in the ditch from the night before at least weekly. Invariably they have very dark tinted windows. In the "dark of the night" they quite simply miss the bend.

I have been thinking and something does not add up.

so after some research, I found some driving schools offering a 5 hour course for motorbike training and license plus all documentation work for getting a Thai license. It cost 2990 baht.

A yamaha mio, fino or honda wave easily cost about 40k THB.
if for 0% deposit and monthly payments might be about 2k to 3k for 1 motorbike.

If a poor family is able to fork out 40k or 2-3k each month for a bike but unable to pay 2990THB for a 5hour training and bike license just doesn't sound right to me. 

Its not that I don't have sympathy but if they can afford a motorbike which cost 20times more than a 5hour training and bike license then I cannot help but think it might just be an excuse. 

of cos I don't know how well these lessons are conducted and its up to the government to work that one out.

The really poor ones would be those who doesn't have a house or a even a motorbike to ride on.

And then when tragic accidents happens, everyone points fingers at the government for not educating or doing or having harsh enough laws to help the traffic situation. 
but when policies are rules are being made, most complain its too hard to follow, everyone has to make a living, no time, no money.

It really takes not just the government but also the citizens cooperation for the traffic situation in Thailand to improve.
most times I see and read on Thai social media when an accident occurs most of Thais like to comment and condemn reckless behaviour but when they driving themselves, they are as dangerous as the people they condemn.

Motorcycle to the poor family is a must in Thailand as to them is like a bicycle. Is very cheap in the small town as it costs 3000 or a bit more for one old bike with out any paper as they don't care as long as it can move.

Normally the rich local people drive only car or pickup as they think is more safe and they like to look down on people with a small motorcycle, unless is a very expensive big bike.

38 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

Well they wouldn't bother would they, because they don't think that they need to. 'Riding a motorcycle is easy, I've been doing it since I was 12 years old :smile:'.

What no one has taught them, of course, are rules, regulations and the all important 'road craft' which are the vitally important elements of safe riding.

The example we had earlier, 15 year old had accident because he rode against the traffic flow. Did anyone take the trouble to teach him not to? I doubt it. 'Every one else does it, so it must be ok', It's a classic example.

This is why compulsory training is vital before the issuance of a licence.

None of the forgoing will address the problems in the rural areas of course, where attitude toward rules and regulations is somewhat cavalier. (To be polite!)

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well they wouldn't bother would they, because they don't think that they need to. 'Riding a motorcycle is easy, I've been doing it since I was 12 years old :smile:'.

What no one has taught them, of course, are rules, regulations and the all important 'road craft' which are the vitally important elements of safe riding.

The example we had earlier, 15 year old had accident because he rode against the traffic flow. Did anyone take the trouble to teach him not to? I doubt it. 'Every one else does it, so it must be ok', It's a classic example.

This is why compulsory training is vital before the issuance of a licence.

None of the forgoing will address the problems in the rural areas of course, where attitude toward rules and regulations is somewhat cavalier. (To be polite!)

agree!

Definately more enforcement of the laws that exist, if they do. I see more red light runners right in front of the police station here in Nong Rua. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I'm almost afraid to drive here, even with 50+ years of accident free driving.

6 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

Motorcycle to the poor family is a must in Thailand as to them is like a bicycle. Is very cheap in the small town as it costs 3000 or a bit more for one old bike with out any paper as they don't care as long as it can move.

Normally the rich local people drive only car or pickup as they think is more safe and they like to look down on people with a small motorcycle, unless is a very expensive big bike.

Well my wife who is rather well to do (not a bargirl) was driving around without a license for years b4 she met me. Her excuse? No time, need to make a living. She does not know what a blindspot or check blindspot is n when she saw me checking my blindspots she criticize me for it... till i put on thai language driving tutorials then she believe i had the real proper training from my country.

I can agree to an extent for the really poor, but not all of them r really that poor. Maybe below average income.

If u drive along bangna trad at night, u will see loads of teens racing around on their honda waves. There is almost a report of an accident every night involving a motorbike. not rural but urban.

They cause danger not only to themselves but the public as well. R these 3000baht bikes? 

This was from my dashcam. I stopped to help becos no one would, hit n run, motorcyclist did not wear a helmet.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158294767695587

Its the attitude that needs to be adjust. I sure hope the government comes up with a better plan to ensure proper training n also free training for those who cannot afford it. Then we sure see if everyone would comply.

Even if the poor does not have a license, they would know what is safety. Not ride against traffic, wear a helmet, dont tailgate, dont squeeze between 2 vehicles.

Everyone knows that is basic knowledge n knows how to criticize, but when they r on the vehicle, they will commit those very same offences they frown upon.

Well my wife who is rather well to do (not a bargirl) was driving around without a license for years b4 she met me. Her excuse? No time, need to make a living. She does not know what a blindspot or check blindspot is n when she saw me checking my blindspots she criticize me for it... till i put on thai language driving tutorials then she believe i had the real proper training from my country.

I can agree to an extent for the really poor, but not all of them r really that poor. Maybe below average income.

If u drive along bangna trad at night, u will see loads of teens racing around on their honda waves. There is almost a report of an accident every night involving a motorbike. not rural but urban.

They cause danger not only to themselves but the public as well. R these 3000baht bikes? 

This was from my dashcam. I stopped to help becos no one would, hit n run, motorcyclist did not wear a helmet.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158294767695587

Its the attitude that needs to be adjust. I sure hope the government comes up with a better plan to ensure proper training n also free training for those who cannot afford it. Then we sure see if everyone would comply.

Even if the poor does not have a license, they would know what is safety. Not ride against traffic, wear a helmet, dont tailgate, dont squeeze between 2 vehicles.
Everyone knows that is basic knowledge n knows how to criticize, but when they r on the vehicle, they will commit those very same offences they frown upon.

Maybe! ! ! A friend of mine stay in chiang rai for about 20 years don't have a driving license till today and have been 2 time involved in accident ( broken his leg once and injury his eye once ) in Thailand , still don't care about that and always said to me he can drives very good! Let me tell you, He is now over 50 and he is not a local. So do you think the local will follow, yes, maybe need to wait for next ten years or twice...........

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry if this has been raised already, ( I got to page 3 and this came into my head) When they say renewal, do they mean changing the 1 year licence for the 5 year version ? That might make more sense, rather than every 5 years you have to shell out 6 k.

Just a thought.

It could also go the way of the tracking SIM card, into file B1n :smile:

Okay back to page 3 and carry on reading. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Loh said:

Maybe! ! ! A friend of mine stay in chiang rai for about 20 years don't have a driving license till today and have been 2 time involved in accident ( broken his leg once and injury his eye once ) in Thailand , still don't care about that and always said to me he can drives very good! Let me tell you, He is now over 50 and he is not a local. So do you think the local will follow, yes, maybe need to wait for next ten years or twice...........

sigh... 555+

I really do not think its a matter of education.  The training material explains that they are not supposed to drive on the wrong side of the road, wait at the pedestrian crossing, not make illegal u-turns.  Even the e-exam test has these questions.

I believe that the drivers KNOW it's not legal: They just don't care.

Other day, I'm standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the road.  *TWO* motorbikes are next to me on the sidewalk waiting to cross too.  Across the street is a police man on his motorbike, and behind him is a policeman in a little booth.  If I didn't know better I would understand it is legal for the motorbikes to be on the sidewalks, but apparently it's not.  But if the policeman staring at us didn't care, why should the motorbike drivers care?

In some countries, you go the wrong way on the road you loose your license.

In some countries, you are caught without a license, you get your car taken away.

In some countries, you get caught without insurance, you get your license/car taken away.

Perhaps if there were reasonable penalties for infractions, people would listen.  And if police men get a good cut of the infraction they would enforce it.  Catch someone driving without a license, the policeman gets 10% of the proceeds of the sale of that car.

I really do not think its a matter of education.  The training material explains that they are not supposed to drive on the wrong side of the road, wait at the pedestrian crossing, not make illegal u-turns.  Even the e-exam test has these questions.

I believe that the drivers KNOW it's not legal: They just don't care.

Other day, I'm standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the road.  *TWO* motorbikes are next to me on the sidewalk waiting to cross too.  Across the street is a police man on his motorbike, and behind him is a policeman in a little booth.  If I didn't know better I would understand it is legal for the motorbikes to be on the sidewalks, but apparently it's not.  But if the policeman staring at us didn't care, why should the motorbike drivers care?

In some countries, you go the wrong way on the road you loose your license.
In some countries, you are caught without a license, you get your car taken away.
In some countries, you get caught without insurance, you get your license/car taken away.

Perhaps if there were reasonable penalties for infractions, people would listen.  And if police men get a good cut of the infraction they would enforce it.  Catch someone driving without a license, the policeman gets 10% of the proceeds of the sale of that car.

Totally agree with you, human only will change they attitude when come to money and should have make the offender pay more and more till they follow. Have a foreign friend told me, he have get caught by police because of speeding 140 km/h in the high way with a issue of ticket and he said to me that he is very happy because he can drive as fast as he can for the rest of the day without worry to have 2nd offense. This is what we call " Attitude "

Archived