Thaivisa becomes part of the Nation Media Group

webfact

Thaivisa becomes part of the Nation Media Group
(Bangkok, Thailand 15th March 2017)

n2.jpg 

Thaivisa.com, Thailand’s largest English-language web-board and information on digital platforms for expats and foreign visitors, is collaborating with The Nation on content integration, advertising, and services.

The first initiative will be an integration of Thailand’s news and content from The Nation on the web pages of Thaivisa.com – a move which will serve both readers wanting more Thai content and marketers wanting to reach this group of customers.

The combined Thaivisa and Nation will serve the largest expat groups spread throughout different regions of Thailand.

The importance of online within the global and Thai media landscape has never been stronger, and consumers increasingly now use digital media platforms as their primary source for information. Thaivisa, is the leading online site for foreigners on all things Thailand, according to Mr Alex Scalia, chairman of Thaivisa.com.

n3.jpg 

“And so this move is an important and significant step in terms of Thaivisa’s position in the market,” he added.

Pana Janviroj, President of The Nation, said the collaboration with Thaivisa’s web board members and website visitors will enhance their information and knowledge on Thailand through news and services, from Nation Group, as well as to strengthen the communication platforms in the digital era.

“It’s part of our broader strategy as we roll out different digital products,” he said.

Nation Multimedia Group Public Company Limited is one of Thailand's largest media companies. The company operates two free-to-air television stations, three national newspapers (English, Thai business, and Thai mass circulation), a university, a book and cartoon unit, printing and logistics operations, and new media and digital platforms. 

thenation_logo.jpg

Thaivisa has long been recognized as a leading news source for foreigners primarily as an aggregator of news from across Thailand. More recently the site has developed its own content and channel diversification into categories such as tech and property. 

tvn_logo.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

we want to keep our relative freedom to rant if we want.......

Square peg round hole me thinks.....but could be wrong.

In the main the good informative side of Tvisa should remain, and do we really need the 'rants', I feel discussion maybe more 'contained'

Would prefer the news to be more Thailand based too fed up seeing Trump/Brexit threads running amok 

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

In the main the good informative side of Tvisa should remain, and do we really need the 'rants', I feel discussion maybe more 'contained'

Would prefer the news to be more Thailand based too fed up seeing Trump/Brexit threads running amok 

then more of that ghost monk...who fled stories..

I fear that this website will lose a lot of it's ability to let people ask questins that are marginal as well as talk about different but possible controversial question.

This could become a disaster. 

This is teh second website that I have seen taken over by a large company and I can tellyou that they screwed the other one up

3 minutes ago, Rhys said:

then more of that ghost monk...who fled stories..

I know we are supposedly now a 'global village' But at least the monk stories are Thai related on Thaivisa

I never looked for a USAvisa or Britvisa - maybe because I have little interest!!! and I really do not envisage too much 'circulation' increase if USA/Brit 'political' topics are the headliners to entice Thai participation

8 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

One suggestion Get an editor that can make heads and tales of a news story in English

Not Thaiglish

Unlikely, Id say...

The Nation doesn't do English very well, and I've always been told TV can't/won't edit/correct other organizations' news content.

This liason could be coming seen from far away. Independence slowly being eaten away perhaps, although there have been the occasional article coming from the Nation that indicated the prescence of balls somewhere in there. 

Time, as always, will tell. Seen some changes since I signed up some 14 years ago, should have bought shares perhaps! :P

I hope this is good news.  I have been a member of Thai Visa for many years on and off.  I gave up using the site as so many of the comments appear to hate Thailand and Thai people.  Some seem to be written by people who either don't live in Thailand or spend their lives propped up in a Pattaya bar.  Let's hope the relationship with The Nation improves the standard of comments.  However, the newsletter is excellent.

15 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I fear that this website will lose a lot of it's ability to let people ask questins that are marginal as well as talk about different but possible controversial question.

This could become a disaster. 

This is teh second website that I have seen taken over by a large company and I can tellyou that they screwed the other one up

It has already

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Unlikely, Id say...

The Nation doesn't do English very well, and I've always been told TV can't/won't edit/correct other organizations' news content.

I really not get it They are catering to the English speaking community so get someone who truly understands english for it 

One curious part of this to me is -- if memory serves some years ago under the prior TV -- there also was a content and advertising partnership announced between the two.

So...did that die somewhere along the way? Or is this latest deal some kind of different agreement, perhaps with NMG getting an equity stake in TV?

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One curious part of this to me is -- if memory serves some years ago under the prior TV -- there also was a content and advertising partnership announced between the two.

So...did that die somewhere along the way? Or is this latest deal some kind of different agreement, perhaps with NMG getting an equity stake in TV?

Might be as simple as formalising the old agreement with current owners

30 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It will serve the junta well.

if TV became another hellish one, there are so many online forums about Thailand, just pick up another one..  at least for me it is not a problem at all.. let's see what will happen.

5 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

"Thaivisa becomes part of the Nation Media Group", does that mean content (both news and posts) are subject to the Nation's oversight?

I would hope so. Less childish, ill-written and less inane content would be appreciated. Gone are the days when TV was a good read with good input when George owned it. And this Inspire Pattaya 'content' - really scraping the barrel when it comes to journalism. TV appears now to cater towards the lowest common denominator and not the overall cross section of expat society. 

35 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I would like to read more local BKK news so we get an idea about what's happening around us. 

Well, not forgetting all of us in the other provinces..... :smile:

50 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The Thai News section is Thailand-based. I know what you mean regards World News and Trump-esque threads, but they can't really be faulted for including all that stuff (him and Brexit is the news right now) and it's pretty easy to avoid to be honest. Having this site global so as to include visas for other nationals to our countries and info for people repatriating, and so on, has only been a good thing.

This site has gotten as progressively as big as it has by expanding its sub-fora. It's never going to be the same as the 'good ole days', when one could have an active, no-holds barred, uncensored 'chat' with George, Dr Pat Pong, etc. But what makes me wary of this merger is the potential for the site to get even more touchy. At times it can be like walking on eggshells primary school all over again.

Full on Thai-bashing ain't great, but yes, I believe we do need some ranting. The colourful characters is what helped make this site. If you don't allow any of that, you just end up with boring old meh.   

Archived