Thaivisa becomes part of the Nation Media Group

webfact

39 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Although you might feel important with breaking news posts from Hua Hin seafront or News Flashes from the swamps of Bang Kair or eye witness accounts from Walking Street. Your actually of no interest at all to Central Intelligence Agencies.

Unless you have uncovered a government scandal, have evidence to cause damage to the government or have access to extreme wealth, then I'm sorry to say that no one wants to track you down.

We are just the worker ants, the little people, the small fish....

Over and out : Jack Bauer
Wilson : aka Rhymes with Banker

And there was me thinking that it is precisely the relentless, thuggish state targeting of "little fish" (Thanakorn Siripaiboon for instance) that provides one of the components of a system that so successfully terrorises the population into acquiescence.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Snig27 said:

The Nation is the lessor of the two English dailies by a margin and its content is fairly conservative and unquestioning of the powers that rule, so one can probably expect a tightening of allowed opinion here I'd imagine.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

cementing forces with a newspaper owned by fat-cat Thai elite shareholders is hardly a progressive move for TV, I feel.  Fine to use their news content, but I'm sure most of us preferred George's stable-ish hand in charge. 

Interesting to note that The Nation on its website and news report today announces the news with a different headline (without any suggestion of a buyout) than the one used here:

The Nation forges closer link with top Web board Thaivisa

March 15, 2017 17:05

Thaivisa.com, the largest English-language web board and resource for digital platforms for expatriates and foreign visitors, will work more closely with The Nation on content integration, advertising and services.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/30309188

The Nation also had another partnership deal in their news just a couple days ago:

The Nation in global partnership with The Wall Street Journal

March 13, 2017 08:

By The Nation

Rapid changes in technology and consumer behaviour have deepened connections between our readers in Thailand and the world, whether in technology, politics or business.

The Nation is pleased to announce a global partnership with The Wall Street Journal, the world’s leading business news source, in complementing our content and digital platforms to bring you news and information that matters.

6 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

On the other hand just viewing Twitter and Richard Barrow commented that isn't there enough readers of the nation newspaper as now they are including Thaivisa posts too on the viewers comments page.

Wow.... didn't even know about that...previously.

I'm not sure I'd want some of things I might say freely here, in our relatively un-XXXXXXXXial environment, to be published in a semi-mass circulation newspaper that presumably is read by the Thai BIB and others. Especially without me even knowing about it or giving any consent to the re-publication of my comments.

Here's at least a partial reference to the original/prior ThaiVisa/The Nation partnership:

At that time, member SBK noted of the original partnership:

The Nation's affiliation with Thai Visa is mainly connected to marketing and the webboard. Thai Visa will have no effect on The Nation's content and vice versa.

I don't believe that same editorial question has been addressed in the current/latest arrangement.

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

This site is already like that, i had to disable my ABP to use TV,

otherwise a bloody great banner was stuck across the screen, telling me to disable my ad blocker!

They are of the opinion I guess if they can grab your mind your heart will follow

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

It must be serious though. Have a look at the photo.

Real happy looking lot

maybe the Thais in the photo had just read some of the racist comments about themselves and the Thai women, who are their mothers, wives and daughters. 

I hope the nation do something to stop the racist garbage that is so much a part of this forum.

Either that or maybe some of the Inspire content.

Newspapers are bleeding readership all over the world. They are last century.

And if you do a quick search you will also find that thaivisa has also dropped off massively since Geoorge off loaded it to the Inspire "group" despite the claims.

i doubt either will still be here in five years.

44 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

cementing forces with a newspaper owned by fat-cat Thai elite shareholders is hardly a progressive move for TV, I feel.  Fine to use their news content, but I'm sure most of us preferred George's stable-ish hand in charge. 

All of journalism in Thailand these days is pretty much constrained -- even more so than in the recent past. And a lot of the practitioners of "journalism" here often seem to be lacking in professionalism.

That said, while I don't follow The Nation's ownership or editorial stances very closely, I did note they had a particularly forceful and surprisingly blunt editorial about a week ago about the current state of the country's government. I'm assuming it took some balls to write and publish it in the current environment.

World scorns Thai lies on rights, democracy

March 07, 2017 01:00
By The Nation
2,616 Viewed

The US State Department’s latest report on our post-coup backsliding adds to a gathering storm of condemnation

The unending litany of negative assessments from overseas regarding rights violations and the suppression of democracy in Thailand leaves no doubt that the military-led government has failed abjectly in its efforts to explain or justify what’s happening here. It has tried formally on several occasions to alter foreign perceptions. It has changed no one’s mind. Thailand’s fumbling excuses make it an international laughing stock. ...

18 minutes ago, Philthyphil said:

maybe the Thais in the photo had just read some of the racist comments about themselves and the Thai women, who are their mothers, wives and daughters. 

I hope the nation do something to stop the racist garbage that is so much a part of this forum.

Either that or maybe some of the Inspire content.

Caring words from a bloke called Filthy Phil.  :biggrin:

9 minutes ago, Philthyphil said:

Newspapers are bleeding readership all over the world. They are last century.

And if you do a quick search you will also find that thaivisa has also dropped off massively since Geoorge off loaded it to the Inspire "group" despite the claims.

i doubt either will still be here in five years.

You've developed quite a bit of knowledge and cynicism since joining all the way back on 1st of March 2017.  Welcome (back?) to the Forum. 

TV was great in the past as an informal Thai forum, but I fear it may now becoming a huge commercial business whereas it`s priorities will be to appease the shareholders, sponsors and advertisers and it`s forum members will become purely superficial. I also wonder if in the future members will have to pay subscribe to have access to all the facilities like so many other expat forums have put into practice.

Time will tell and making the most of it while some of the original format still remains.

8 hours ago, Docno said:

Wonder if this will impact what news sources are aggregated here and what sources forum members are allowed to link to...

Or comment on without being censored, you know, like speaking your mind without retribution....

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

On the other hand just viewing Twitter and Richard Barrow commented that isn't there enough readers of the nation newspaper as now they are including Thaivisa posts too on the viewers comments page.

1489582781236.jpg.d1a4b2d2a31337757336059ae49bffd1.jpg

Do I understand well? These comments have been published without the agreements of posters?

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Gee whiz...

Does this mean The Nation gets to see everyone's email, account info and IP address here on TV?

Where will the servers be located now? :shock1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nation_(Thailand)#Editorial_line

Have to agree with your query....I didn't sign on to allow the Nation, or anyone else, to have access to my account info, passwords, email, etc. TV should post a disclaimer regarding that, all member info will not be shared....

11 hours ago, Jeremy Holton said:

I hope this is good news.  I have been a member of Thai Visa for many years on and off.  I gave up using the site as so many of the comments appear to hate Thailand and Thai people.  Some seem to be written by people who either don't live in Thailand or spend their lives propped up in a Pattaya bar.  Let's hope the relationship with The Nation improves the standard of comments.  However, the newsletter is excellent.

So you would welcome the banning of any member who is critical ( to what degree ? ) , lives outside Thailand or likes bars ( but only those in Pattaya ! ).

Would it not be easier for you to record your own thoughts/musings each evening then read them at breakfast ?

6 hours ago, fish monger said:

Have to agree with your query....I didn't sign on to allow the Nation, or anyone else, to have access to my account info, passwords, email, etc. TV should post a disclaimer regarding that, all member info will not be shared....

You have read the forum rules, right? LOL

Privacy Policy for Thaivisa.com

The privacy of our visitors to thaivisa.com is important to us. At thaivisa.com, we recognize that privacy of your personal information is important. Here is information on what types of personal information we receive and collect when you use and visit thaivisa.com, and how we safeguard your information. We never sell your personal information to third parties.

Preservation of Intellectual Property Rights

All material on this site, including, but not limited to images, illustrations and multimedia materials, is protected by copyrights which are owned and controlled by THAIVISA.COM or by other parties that have licensed their material to THAIVISA.COM. Material from this Web Site or from any other web site owned, operated, licensed or controlled by THAIVISA.COM may not be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of the copyrights and other proprietary rights held by the respective providers thereof. The use of any such material on any other web site, ftp server or network environment is prohibited.

You agree to grant to THAIVISA.COM a non-exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information you submit to any public areas, chat rooms, bulletin boards, social media, newsletters, newsgroups or forums of THAIVISA.COM or which you provide by email or any other means to THAIVISA.COM and in any media now known or hereafter developed.**

Further, you grant to THAIVISA.COM the right to use your name and or user name in connection with the submitted materials and other information as well as in connection with all advertising, marketing and promotional material related thereto, together with use on any other THAIVISA.COM web sites. You agree that you shall have no recourse against THAIVISA.COM for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to THAIVISA.COM.

(My bolding of the text.)

(full text here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/)

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I never knew the latest incarnation of TV had a "chairman" - Mr Alex Scalia...

I always thought it was Tutsi or UG or someone like that!  :-)

It would be good to see the the guys behind the scene and info on their jobs  

Most should be aware that you lose ownership of your own words and thoughts when you choose to express them on this erstwhile social forum. The rules have been reproduced above and are always contained in the bar above the page.. It's easy to say "read the rules" but those rules were very different back in the day, and have evolved significantly over the years with various circumstances.

I joined Thaivisa nearly a dozen years ago and was member # 19,000 or so. I see member "Thailand" who posted in this thread earlier has been here almost since inception. His membership number is probably in single figures.

My point is, that when we decided to join this social forum to share experiences and learn about the country in which we were interested, none could envision it would expand to the point it has. It is now big business, it's all about advertising and has become part of a large media empire.  Now our words and thoughts, and indeed our identities, can be reproduced elsewhere for anybody to read and critique.

Thaivisa was about people with the same interests getting together on-line, and often over a beer in a more social setting, to share those interests. It was like a big, mainly friendly, social club. Now it is part of a large multi faceted business and we seem to have become unpaid journos and spotters.

I suppose it is an individual decision how we now proceed as members.  I will be posting a lot less and, after this, will keep my more contentious opinions to myself. (You never know who's taking an interest in the wider sphere!)

17 hours ago, Chicken George said:

I can see a new forum starting up. Big is not always better. 

Would be nice to have something not hosted in Thailand so people can say what they really think.  Always seemed to me that TV was too anxious to protect itself with advance warnings on some topics prior to any postings. Of course I understand as TV is a business. Of course hosting outside Thailand would probably lead to site being blocked inside Thailand since freedom of speech is rather limited for any subjects deemed too controversial.

Always amazes me that advertisers think anyone looks at the advertising but I guess some people do and it generates revenue.  I don't think I have ever clicked on an advertisement on any web site.  

18 hours ago, BKKBrit said:

I would hope so. Less childish, ill-written and less inane content would be appreciated. Gone are the days when TV was a good read with good input when George owned it. And this Inspire Pattaya 'content' - really scraping the barrel when it comes to journalism. TV appears now to cater towards the lowest common denominator and not the overall cross section of expat society. 

Rubbish. Perhaps you were unaware of some serious issues that arose in the past. IMO, they were not dealt with in a transparent manner. You can do a search via a google and read all about them.

The new ownership has brought a level of professionalism that was not seen in the past few years when quality  was slowly deteriorating. The operation is now run by people who are focused on media and  communication. I may not like the direction sometimes, but these people are pros and have made many changes that were needed.

I distrust Nation media.  However, the arrangement provides an important information resource that is approved by the media censors. The use of an approved information outlet  helps manage TVF's regulatory risk significantly. This arrangement will provide some easy filler and can help make TVF a one stop shop for tourists who want to know what is happening. Besides,  some of the general info from Nation Media is useful for some people, especially when they do their special features  like the floral show in Chiang Mai or highlight tourist destinations around Thailand.

19 hours ago, 473geo said:

Square peg round hole me thinks.....but could be wrong.

In the main the good informative side of Tvisa should remain, and do we really need the 'rants', I feel discussion maybe more 'contained'

Would prefer the news to be more Thailand based too fed up seeing Trump/Brexit threads running amok 

Surely UK and USA ex-pats are very interested in news of Brexit and Trump?

Feel uneasy about this,everything you post on ThaiVisa also now belongs

to the Nation Group,and they can put in their newspaper anything you post

here, I am sure there are a lot more Government types reading the Nation

than ThaiVisa, and if one of them takes offense to what you have posted

on ThaiVisa,but now published in the Nation,it is so easy for them to have

you charged under the computer crimes act,even if you are correct,you will

have to fight it in court, so I will now be very careful what I post on here.

regards worgeordie

I'm happy that i set up my account with TV with a separate e-mail address and fictive username.

I would be very uncomfortable if they had my normal email address and name which they will share with every body.

I'm happy that i set up my account with TV with a separate e-mail address and fictive username. I would be very uncomfortable if they had my normal email address and name which they will share with every body.

Makes no difference. It's your IP address they can share.

Only an Internet Service Provider (ISP) knows the real name and home address that corresponds to an IP address.

They have to know, in order to send a bill for monthly Internet usage. However, they keep that information private and do not disclose IP addresses—or names and addresses of customers—to just anyone asking for it. However, they would disclose that information under subpoena to law enforcement agencies.

You could use a proxy server. But it's not 100% effective as sometimes the server goes offline without you knowing.

Now you would have to post some shocking stuff to get special attention of the government cyber crime division.

13 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Makes no difference. It's your IP address they can share.

Only an Internet Service Provider (ISP) knows the real name and home address that corresponds to an IP address.

They have to know, in order to send a bill for monthly Internet usage. However, they keep that information private and do not disclose IP addresses—or names and addresses of customers—to just anyone asking for it. However, they would disclose that information under subpoena to law enforcement agencies.

You could useca proxy server. But it's not 100% effective as sometimes the server goes offline without you knowing.

Now you would have to post some shocking stuff to get special attention of the government cyber crime division.

VPN !!

Archived