Mass gathering for lottery numbers as "spirit of the tree" promises riches!

webfact

Mass gathering for lottery numbers as "spirit of the tree" promises riches!

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thairath

RAYONG: -- Poor villagers in Rayong have flocked to a temple to get rich from the benevolence of the female spirit of a sacred tree.

It was almost stampede conditions yesterday in the car park outside the temple of Wat Atsadaram in Nikhom Patana where a ceremony was held to ask the tree spirit for numbers for the lottery, Thai Rath reported.

And the crowds were not disappointed as three numbers came out.

The spirit in question resides in a "takhian" tree and is known as "Jao Mae Takhian Thong".

Some while back a stump of such a tree was dredged from a 10 metre deep lake on the property of a woman called Ladda, 57. Along with her friend Ubon they carried out a ceremony in which the spirit emerged and entered the body of a young woman who then raised her fingers in a trance.

On the right hand five fingers were raised, on the left just three. These numbers were then used to guide Ladda to a 500,000 baht government lottery win.

Not content with this windfall she then got together with other villagers who had also benefitted and dressed up an effigy in a Thai costume and asked the "Jao Mae (whose name is Mae Ubonwan) to reappear.

Lo and behold, she did reappear this time saying that she would give a total of three sets of numbers only and that only good people could benefit from her benevolence.

This second time a woman won more than a million baht and then erected a Thai style house to pay homage to the spirit.

The tree stump was yesterday brought to the car park of the temple as many people crowded round hoping to get rich.

A further ceremony was held and the numbers that came out on this third occasion were:

502, 561 and 02.

Good luck - but don't forget.....you have to be a good person to benefit.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-16

Not surprised. Thailand is not unique in being home to an abundance of superstition,  propaganda, greed and ignorance. "Lucky" or auspicious vehicle license plates command six-digit prices here and elsewhere. Google for a laugh.

One can make  a profit on most anything that panders to the ego. The masses may go naked, hungry, homeless and uneducated, but some must show that they have "made it" in this world by possessing such trinkets.

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

why are Thais so obsessed with money?

The same reason many people in the West spend their lives climbing up the career ladder of some corporate entity - to obtain a huge house, expensive cars and other trinkets. Only to retire and then drop dead from exhaustion. 

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

The same reason many people in the West spend their lives climbing up the career ladder of some corporate entity - to obtain a huge house, expensive cars and other trinkets. Only to retire and then drop dead from exhaustion. 

Stupid thai people... now my magic Jewish zombie 1/3 god hippie. .. that's the ticket

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

Not surprised. Thailand is not unique in being home to an abundance of superstition,  propaganda, greed and ignorance. "Lucky" or auspicious vehicle license plates command six-digit prices here and elsewhere. Google for a laugh.

One can make  a profit on most anything that panders to the ego. The masses may go naked, hungry, homeless and uneducated, but some must show that they have "made it" in this world by possessing such trinkets.

Well said. Didn't the people that landed on US soil buy the place from the Indians for some trinkets. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Well said. Didn't the people that landed on US soil buy the place from the Indians for some trinkets. 

good god man , read a book why don't you  ?  they stole it . no trinkets passed hands ..............

12 minutes ago, mikiea said:

good god man , read a book why don't you  ?  they stole it . no trinkets passed hands ..............

We are having a little fun here don't go all serious on me. This is a fun site not the tablets of God given to Moses. Lighten up. 

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I think you are writing about the Dutch buying Manhattan island for 60 guilders or $24 and maybe a few trinkets from the "native savages" as they called them. I read now that the 60 guilders ( now Euros) would be about $951  in 2011 $ so still quite a good deal!  So actually you are just off a little about buying the whole country and the other guy ( see above) really is wrong!!  Maybe he is reading too many books lol ? 

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

But they do !! Didnt you know?

They are girandolas, common worldwide, night view is good though.

Image result for girandolas fireworks

Think their history goes back to mid 18th century, though not sure

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I think you are writing about the Dutch buying Manhattan island for 60 guilders or $24 and maybe a few trinkets from the "native savages" as they called them. I read now that the 60 guilders ( now Euros) would be about $951  in 2011 $ so still quite a good deal!  So actually you are just off a little about buying the whole country and the other guy ( see above) really is wrong!!  Maybe he is reading too many books lol ? 

Thanks I used to like reading but have developed a short attention span. As I said this is a fun site so some facts are a little off course this holding peoples feet to the fire of facts is OK for the cross your t and dot your i's guys but there has to be a measure of fun and latitude with the facts. So it does not meet the life facts exactly have a laugh and move on don't blow a gasket using inflammatory language to try and impress some people and belittle others. Its no wonder the world is in turmoil.

Archived