TM30 at Bangkok immigration

So today I went to file a TM30. Seems that it is not common. Eventually got a form. Filled in and proceeded to be processed. Was sent to 90 day reporting counter. At first they did not understand but a supervisor helped. 

All were friendly and helpful, but obviously something rare.

Do I need it? Not sure. I put the address on my arrival form but some say this is not enough.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana does not want the TM30 form. No reports of people being fined for not doing one there.

You just wasted your time doing one there.

Thanks UJ. Never been to immigration, but have a taste of the chaos now. Could not find a report of it not being needed. Hopefully this helps someone.

On 17.3.2017 at 7:40 AM, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana does not want the TM30 form. No reports of people being fined for not doing one there.

You just wasted your time doing one there.

Ah, that fits quite nicely with what I was told by 2 guys over the weekend. When I mentioned the 90 day reporting to them they just shrugged their shoulders and said: "We´ve never done a single one since we moved here over 10 years ago. Nobody ever wanted to see one at CW when we applied for our extensions of stay based on retirement." And the summarised in their recommendation to me: "Key is to never file your first one since once you´re in the system, you´re bound to be questioned sooner or later if you don´t do the reports."

So, is that really true? Stay out of the system and CW is unlikely to bother you (at least until there is a big change in how they deal with TM30s at CW)? What would be the maximal penalty if they see that you´ve never done one in let´s say 15 years?