Russian teens out of comas, but fund-raising drive must continue

webfact

Russian teens out of comas, but fund-raising drive must continue

The Phuket News

1489641288_1-org.jpg

Archimandrite Oleg (2nd from right), Head of Russian Orthodox Church in Thailand, and Russian Ambassador to Thailand Kirill Barsky (right) visit Danila at Vejthani Hospital. Photo: www.orthodox.or.th

PATTAYA: --  The two Russian teenagers left comatose after being run down by a bus in Pattaya late last month are each out of their comas, but still in serious condition, as the fund-raising drive continues to help pay for their spiralling medical bills.

The campaign was launched after Daniel (“Danila”) Mokshantsev, 16, and his 14-year-old sister Ekaterina (“Katia”) were run down by a bus in Pattaya on Feb 23. According to police report, supported by a CCTV recording, the bus was running a red light. 

As of today the fundraising page on the Thai crowd-sourcing website Weeboon shows that B204,974

has been raised by 143 persons in 14 days, aiming to raise a total of B1 million (US$28,490).

The fund-raising page (click here) also says that the teenagers’ plight has received 4119 Shares on Facebook.

“Daniel is awake and conscious and doing well, hard for him to move but he responds,” said a report posted on Monday (Mar 13).

“Katia is physically very strong and moves around but is not able to respond to simple commands. She has been moved to Ward and her brother will be moved within the next few days.

“The insurance has paid B330,000 per child to the hospital but the travel company refused to pay a single baht.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-teens-out-of-comas-but-fund-raising-drive-must-continue-61406.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-17

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just prey they both make a full recovery,  and i prey that the driver of the van gets a hefty punishment for the grief he has placed on these two kids for the rest of their lives if they don't recover fully.

I hope he has his licence revoked for 4 years and fined 100,000 baht and 6 months jail for running a red light, negligent driving causing injury.

If a Thai causes an accident to a foreign tourist I really think that the Thai should pay for it.

I know most of them have zero money due to this country being a third world dump of a place but this is the point where the Thai Government should step in and cover all costs as they are ultimately responsible for the following reasons :

1 - They invite foreigners here to make a big percentage of the GDP

2 - They allow any idiot to drive on the road without adequate insurance

Things have to change in this country.

Errr what, the travel (bus) company has REFUSED to pay a single baht. And this is allowed to stand why?

They should pay every baht from the point of their driver running the red light and ploughing into these young kids til the point that they're up, healthy and cartwheeling around the place with fully functioning mental states.

I get the bus company is probably owned by some influential Sino Thai idiot, but the driver? They should both be taken to the nearest tree, scum ?

Revoke the bus-companies' license.......they'll pay within 24 hours........unless the company is owned by some hillbilly government official.

Demanding the driver to pay up doesn't make sense.......he'll be in debt for life and never able to pay any single satang. 

I think it is extremely irresponsible of the Russian family not to have  proper travel insurance, especially traveling to a third world country.

Letting your children of 15 and 16 ride a motorcycle in the 2nd most dangerous country in the world traffic wise borders on criminal intent, driving licence or not.

It is a terrible situation the family is in, but it is largely of their own making, I'm sorry to say.

I have 38 years of big bike experience, and I still get cought off guard in the traffic here regularly, let alone children completely unaccustomed  to the local traffic.

Not much point in trying to squeeze money out of a dirt poor bus driver.

22 minutes ago, Bullie said:

I think it is extremely irresponsible of the Russian family not to have  proper travel insurance, especially traveling to a third world country.

Letting your children of 15 and 16 ride a motorcycle in the 2nd most dangerous country in the world traffic wise borders on criminal intent, driving licence or not.

It is a terrible situation the family is in, but it is largely of their own making, I'm sorry to say.

I have 38 years of big bike experience, and I still get cought off guard in the traffic here regularly, let alone children completely unaccustomed  to the local traffic.

Best example I've seen in years of blaming the victim.  Nicely done. 

24 minutes ago, Bullie said:

They wore helmets and there maybe a case about insurance but I bet 95% of tourists fall into that category and this it NOT the time for a 'som nam na' approach to two kids on holiday almost killed by a red light skipping Thai moron have some COMPASSION

Why does the Government not make it compulsery for the bus company to pay.

their insurance company will find as many excusses not to pay. 

The driver ran a red light so that would be on the insurance companies no pay conditions.

so good to hear they are out of their coma but they will have perminent body damage for the rest of their lives.

These bus companys must be paying a nice fee each year to some officials.  For them to close their eyes.

i drive down to Pattaya and Babgkok from Khon Kaen quite a few times and the busses that shoot the red lights so many times. I have also seen Police at some lights and they just ignore them.

While we all feel compassion and sympathy for the victims, it is worth reminding many of you that you are as the member said, in a third world country and should take things like travel insurance and taking care of yourself seriously. Failure to do so can result in death. Don't come if you think the Thai people and government and bus companies are going to take care of you. The reason you can drive around without adequate insurance, drunk, etc. is because of where you are. The Russian government can take care of these two and will once the other angles are exhausted. Russia is a rich country. Have you ever seen a starving Russian? At this very moment close to 20 million people are close to starving to death in Africa. So who should we send our money to? Some hospital overcharging foreigners in Pattaya or to Africa, where people are actually starving to death?  

Do not forget the teens "jumped the red light" too. Didn't wait for green light. 

Father hadn't full insurance for them.

Father allowed very young kids onto busy sukumvit.

Bus company won't pay anything.

What is this "crowd-funding" all about ?

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

Best example I've seen in years of blaming the victim.  Nicely done. 

Blaming the victim ???

sorry sunshine, but he is telling the truth.....

also what responsible parent would let any Teenager drive anything here ??

the moment you walk in the street , it's Chaos....???, 

The problem with insurances; If you don't have it then you are f-ed and if you do have it then you are f-ed!
You will have to fight the insurance company for any Dollar/Pound/Euro/Baht/Krona that you want from them because they will look for anything that they can blame so that they don't have to pay:

I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle back home. It took 5 years and the consumer protection agency before the insurance company payed.

I bought a secondhand Audi A6 and had a full insurance. It got stolen and demolished and the insurance company valued the car to 50% of what I had payed and offered me 30% of what I had payed... it was less than a year after I had bought it and the price for a similar car at the dealers were still at 90% of what I had payed.
I was in a hit and run by motorcycle (I were walking on the sidewalk...) here in Thailand and ended up in the hospital with a broken arm. The bill didn't get that high but the insurance company refused to pay claiming that my psoriasis was a preexisting condition for my broken arm... psoriasis is a skin condition and had nothing to do with that motorcycle hitting me from behind!

So as I said, if you don't have insurance then you are f-ed and if you do have it then you are paying to get f-ed over by the insurance company!

3 hours ago, Bullie said:

Blaming the victim is a national sport in Thailand, esp if victim is a foreigner ...

While it might sound harsh, but the bus company can not be forced to pay anything.

If there is an accident, it's up to the Insurance company to pay for the damages.
The Insurance company did pay, although they had the right to refuse to pay as the driver did drive through a red crossing light.
Not respecting the driving laws, can be a reason for the Insurance company to refuse to pay.

In some "more civilised" Western countries, if the driver of the bus did not respect the traffic, the company would be made liable by the court for hiring a person who is not qualified for the job.

59 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

The problem with insurances; If you don't have it then you are f-ed and if you do
So as I said, if you don't have insurance then you are f-ed and if you do have it then you are paying to get f-ed over by the insurance company!

Travel insurance, for health related incidents, has a fairly good reputation. With that said, since the injured were riding a motorcycle, it may be excluded. Fact remains, traveling to and living in third world countries carry with it additional risks in these regards. Love it or leave it, but forget changing it. God Bless You.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

What the <deleted>, the company who owns the bus should have insurance and this insurance company should be paying for any and all treatment.

If you read insurance terms for Thai vehicles, they are often limited to 200,000 or 300,000 per person for hospitalization, and 1 million for death.

Victims (or their family) may initiate a civil action for damages against wrongdoing side – i.e. the driver for reckless driving, and perhaps also the bus company – but it's up to a Court to decide the outcome, and furthermore a question if the wrongdoer has some money...

That's why it's important to have some level of private insurances when staying here – like PA (that unfortunately often covers very little for hospitalization), and if possible also a heath insurance and/or funds set aside – and as tourist (up to 6 month) a travel insurance; the latter will normally cover unlimited, and include repatriation (could not see from the story, if the Russian family is here as tourists or expats). If a tourist, never travel without an insurance; travel-insurance is so cheap, so it's worth the risk to save that cost...

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

If you read insurance terms for Thai vehicles, they are often limited to 200,000 or 300,000 per person for hospitalization, and 1 million for death.

The Thai Government subsidized insurance for motorcycles is only good for 15,000. Baht in personal injury the motorcycle causes. Not applicable for this incident but just for your information. This assumes of course the motorcycle is on the roads legally. As most know, many are not on the road legally. The operators is another item and what we think of as liability is almost impossible to pursue. Bottom line, there are no rules on the highway and no responsibility applied to those at fault in accidents. 

It sounds like the accident has maxed out the insurance i.e. reached the maximum payable under the policy + 15,000 Baht from the govt. scheme. The insurance company has now covered its liability. If the tour company refuses to pay or negotiate with regards to further costs, the family will have to sue the tour company.

The costs for lifelong care will be huge and it is likely they will not be met and corners will have to be cut.

Yet another tragic, avoidable accident in Thailand destroying futures all caused by stupid careless driving.

If a Thai causes an accident to a foreign tourist I really think that the Thai should pay for it.

I know most of them have zero money due to this country being a third world dump of a place but this is the point where the Thai Government should step in and cover all costs as they are ultimately responsible for the following reasons :

1 - They invite foreigners here to make a big percentage of the GDP

2 - They allow any idiot to drive on the road without adequate insurance

Things have to change in this country.

The bottom half of your statement resonates with me but the top half a third world dump begs to ask the question that well I really hate hearing is what are you doing here. There I said it. 

4 hours ago, Bullie said:

Crap response that. 

34 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

The Thai Government subsidized insurance for motorcycles is only good for 15,000. Baht in personal injury the motorcycle causes. Not applicable for this incident but just for your information. This assumes of course the motorcycle is on the roads legally. As most know, many are not on the road legally. The operators is another item and what we think of as liability is almost impossible to pursue. Bottom line, there are no rules on the highway and no responsibility applied to those at fault in accidents. 

There actually is a "kind of rule" – one often not understood, nor accepted by foreigners (farangs) – the rule is: The one that can afford to pay, pays...:whistling:

I can give several examples of how this work...

I know most of them have zero money due to this country being a third world dump of a place

Never miss an opportunity to dump on Thailand, right?

They have been and are being treated, right? No one has refused medical treatment to them, right? They could have bought adequate insurance, right?  When they eventually recover, they will probably exit the country without restraint, as do so many foreigners who can't be bothered to pay for adequate insurance, right?

high horse.png

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Never miss an opportunity to dump on Thailand, right?

They have been and are being treated, right? No one has refused medical treatment to them, right? They could have bought adequate insurance, right?  When they eventually recover, they will probably exit the country without restraint, as do so many foreigners who can't be bothered to pay for adequate insurance, right?

high horse.png

Right,  Sort Of

4 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

The problem with insurances; If you don't have it then you are f-ed and if you do have it then you are f-ed!
You will have to fight the insurance company for any Dollar/Pound/Euro/Baht/Krona that you want from them because they will look for anything that they can blame so that they don't have to pay:

I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle back home. It took 5 years and the consumer protection agency before the insurance company payed.

I bought a secondhand Audi A6 and had a full insurance. It got stolen and demolished and the insurance company valued the car to 50% of what I had payed and offered me 30% of what I had payed... it was less than a year after I had bought it and the price for a similar car at the dealers were still at 90% of what I had payed.
I was in a hit and run by motorcycle (I were walking on the sidewalk...) here in Thailand and ended up in the hospital with a broken arm. The bill didn't get that high but the insurance company refused to pay claiming that my psoriasis was a preexisting condition for my broken arm... psoriasis is a skin condition and had nothing to do with that motorcycle hitting me from behind!

Maybe so, but if you ARE insured, according to your story at least they use vasiline to ease the pain....

16 minutes ago, Bullie said:

Yes, and all these tourists are stupid to do what they are doing, especially without a proper licence. This is a dangerous country, and I have compassion with the children, but I DO think their parents should go to jail for letting them drive in Thailand at their age without experience.

I am NOT condoning this I am just asking everyone to put that aside and help the kids

Archived