Conversion of SE visa to PE visa

My latest Thai Elite 5 year SE Visa has expired and I am still on a 3 month extension. I decided to convert my elite membership from the lifetime to the 20 year membership so I can get the PE 5 year visa which gives a 1 year extension of stay versus the 3 month given on the SE.

The Thai elite people said they contacted immigration and that they were told that I could not simply apply/convert for the PE visa at changwattana as I was on an extension of stay from a SE visa and that I had to leave the country and come in on a tourist visa then they would issue the PE visa.

That doesn't make sense to me.

Also if I have to leave and come back do I need an actual tourist visa or can I just apply for the PE visa while on a 30 day leave to remain.

thanks

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then get the PE visa.

If you were to fly out and return to Suvarnabhumi airport you could get the PE visa issued on entry to the country. Just advise Thai Elite of your travel plans and it can be done that way. 

• 2 months later...

The latest in this saga. I made a trip to Poi Pet and came back on a 30 day visa exempt entry. I then asked Thai elite to arrange the PE visa and this is what they came back with. It sounds ridiculous and I can't believe it's actually the case.

any advice ?

After we re-checked with Immigration Bureau again, the Immigration officer strongly insisted that a Thailand Elite member will be able to obtain or convert to Thailand Elite visa type “PE” at Immigration Chaengwattana if he/she enters to Thailand on tourist visa. However, Thailand Elite member must never have obtained a Thailand Elite visa type”SE” in the same passport even if it has expired under Immigration regulation. The Immigration officer kindly suggests you to do as 2 options as below;

1.      You can request to obtain a Thailand Elite visa type “PE” upon your arrival at Suvarnabhumi or Phuket international airport only if you don’t have a plan to get a new passport.  5 – 7 days advance notice is required to inform to our staff.

2.      You can obtain a Thailand Elite visa type”PE” at Immigration Chaengwattana if you have a new passport without Thailand Elite sticker visa.

Truly sorry for any inconvenience but highly hope to have your kind understanding under Immigration regulation.

You were advised by Ubonjoe to depart and return via Suvarnabhumi airport not via a land border, now Thai Elite are reiterating it, seems you have no choice but to go out again and return by air to Suvarnabhumhi to convert.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

You were advised by Ubonjoe to depart and return via Suvarnabhumi airport not via a land border, now Thai Elite are reiterating it, seems you have no choice but to go out again and return by air to Suvarnabhumhi to convert.

Please read the mail from Ubon Joe again. He said I could do it on a 30 day entry. Then he said I could do it by entering at Suvarnabhumi airport. 

They are 2 different statements. 

Interpret them how you want to but please dont put words into his mouth.,

No need to reread or any interpretation needed whatsoever IMO, as that the PE visa cannot be obtained at a land border but can be obtained at the airport.

Whereas I do sympathise and understand why you would feel annoyed, I would also make an assumption that because you are changing from one form of elite membership to another it is highly possible that Thai Elite are correct and the change in visas has to be done the way that they say.

I 100% agree that it makes no sense whatsoever why the airport immigration can issue the PE visa upon entry in the same passport and CW immigration cannot in the same passport due to the original SE visa, there has to be a reason, though it alludes me or logic.

Edited by Mattd