"Many foreign victims expected" as two beefy extortionists arrested in Chiang Mai set-up

webfact

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Legal means don't always work you can be 100% legal and right but people can still refuse to pay and ignore the courts. There are quite a few people that work like that getting in debt and failing to pay while living the high life. 

Donald Trump??

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's stunning how many imbeciles have weighed in with opinions here, yet we have very few facts in this case.  All we know for sure is what the 2 men are accused of.  We've heard nothing really of their side of the story except that they were collecting debts.  We do know their appearance, and it's not pretty.  But that alone is insufficient to convict a person(s).  

Anyone who has lived in Thailand for any length of time knows how many deadbeat farangs live here.  These are people who live on the edge of financial solvency, haven't a dime to spare ever, and borrow money at every opportunity because of their own incompetence and inability to forage and provide for themselves.  Often they fail or downright refuse to pay legitimate debts, and most times just dodge the person who was gracious enough to loan money.  If this was the case, I don't pity the "victim" at all, and I don't give a dam if he was threatened.  Failure to pay a legitimate debt, in my book, makes you a thief, and thieves are as low as it gets.  

On 3/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, webfact said:

They are confident that there are other "foreign mafia figures" behind these two arrests.

Behind the arrests? I thought the RTP had managed that all by themselves. Presumably, they are referring to the actual extortion. Heaven forbid it should involve Thais.

4 hours ago, cromagnon said:

It's stunning how many imbeciles have weighed in with opinions here, yet we have very few facts in this case.  All we know for sure is what the 2 men are accused of.  We've heard nothing really of their side of the story except that they were collecting debts.  We do know their appearance, and it's not pretty.  But that alone is insufficient to convict a person(s).  

Anyone who has lived in Thailand for any length of time knows how many deadbeat farangs live here.  These are people who live on the edge of financial solvency, haven't a dime to spare ever, and borrow money at every opportunity because of their own incompetence and inability to forage and provide for themselves.  Often they fail or downright refuse to pay legitimate debts, and most times just dodge the person who was gracious enough to loan money.  If this was the case, I don't pity the "victim" at all, and I don't give a dam if he was threatened.  Failure to pay a legitimate debt, in my book, makes you a thief, and thieves are as low as it gets.  

YOUR SPOT ON IN THIS CASE 

8 minutes ago, Petchou said:

All over Thailand and from all ages.

Sure , but there seem to be more of them in Pattaya and Chiang Mai. They can continue a "western" lifestyle and still do their "business". 

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes, retired so plenty time,..you think,Hmmm.

regards Worgeordie

This morning my reply was rather short, the reason being I was distracted by a monkey

Hmmm, on second thoughts maybe it would have been wiser not to mention the monkey, what do you think

As for you reading my back posts, which by the way are the good ones, and then deciding I need help

I can only say that its a good job you did not read the ones that have been removed, especially the ones I was banned for, otherwise it would have definitely been a case of shocked of Thailand 555555

On 17/03/2017 at 4:15 PM, AlexRich said:

I'd like to know how Khun Leonard found himself owing money to someone who uses unorthodox collection methods? It does not look like some random extortion ... like a boiler room operation targeting an innocent victim.

Do boiler rooms extort victims face to face?  I always thought that they did it nicely on the phone so that victims didn't know they were being defrauded at the time.

On 17/03/2017 at 3:30 PM, BaldRichard said:

From another Thai service

244353-800x600.jpg

The goon on the right has the stereotypical 'I'm a hard man' appearance, overweight, shaved head, goatee, shades and a lovely pair of flip flops.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:11 PM, catman20 said:

talks cheap whisky cost money, if these 2 guys come knocking at your door late one night i wonder if you would be so brave???????????

Two bullets in the chest would solve that problem..........

My My I feel for the guy whose guts are hanging on the floor, you must eat a Thai a day you stupid man, so how to deal with a man like this? if you are right handed right leg space under legs kick hard, sorry I mean call BIB as soon as you can? Just remember this, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. But have to say if you are ripping of Thais or Farangs email me I love a Challenge and we can talk, My language, go home you scammers NOW

On 3/18/2017 at 4:49 AM, DiamondKing said:

EDUCATION for the dimmer ones here 

EXTORTION 

When I come to your place of business or whatever and tell you that each month you have to pay me for protection 

THAT IS EXTORTION

These guys are not guilty of that ...............

I must admit that my light shines dimmer than others at times, so please explain where the following dictionary definition does not apply in this incident.

extortion  

ɪkˈstɔːʃ(ə)n,ɛkˈstɔːʃ(ə)n/

noun

the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

8 hours ago, oldlakey said:

This morning my reply was rather short, the reason being I was distracted by a monkey

Hmmm, on second thoughts maybe it would have been wiser not to mention the monkey, what do you think

As for you reading my back posts, which by the way are the good ones, and then deciding I need help

I can only say that its a good job you did not read the ones that have been removed, especially the ones I was banned for, otherwise it would have definitely been a case of shocked of Thailand 555555

Hmm,its took you a while to come back with a reply,maybe as its more than

a one liner,and you had to think what to write,and been proud of been banned,

like i said you should look for help,was the monkey looking back from your mirror?

take care regards worgeordie

As Radar501 and others have said, extortion involves the use of threats of harm or actual harm to get somebody to do something such as repay a debt....and it's totally irrelevant if the debt is legal or not.  Section 337 of the Thai criminal code (which provides a broader definition of extortion than some other countries) reads:

Section 337.  Whoever, compels a person to give or to agree to give him or the other person a benefit in the  nature  of  being  a  property by  committing  an  act of  violence  or  by  a  threat  to  commit violence against the  life,  body, liberty,  reputation  or property of the compelled person or a third person, so that the compelled person submits to the same is said to commit extortion, and shall be punished with imprisonment  not exceeding five years and fined not  exceeding ten thousand Baht.

Those posters who are attempting to argue that somehow it's not extortion if the victim actually (legally) owes the money are talking nonsense.

As to whether these two dudes are guilty of extortion, that's up to the court and the evidence presented; regardless, I suspect their attorney will advise them that their very appearance somewhat handicaps any defense that they were visiting the guy to "ask nicely." 

On 2017-03-17 at 10:10 AM, Berkshire said:

So did the Leonard guy actually owe the money?  There's a difference between extortion and "debt collection." 

there ain't much difference ,if any, in this case.

extortion: "the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."

If they want to collect the money then they can do it legally...as in legally

They do not have the right to come around and collect the money from anyone if they are not given legal authority to do so while they have to prove they are legal debt collectors and legally given the task of collection on debts.

If that was the case then they would be working and in violation of the Thai work permit rules and regulations and the Thai immigration laws ...but that is a minor matter as compared to the alleged act of extortion

If someone comes around to your door and says pay me the money you owe someone or anyone or some company are you going to believe the supposed debt collectors that simply come knocking at your door and hand them the money...??

It does not matter how the circumstances came about, No One has the legal right to come around and tell you to pay the money owed to anyone and done under duress or threat of bodily harm.

To simply notify you that action will be taken if you continue to renege on the loan is another matter.

On the other hand if the money you borrowed or owe somehow is from a criminal organisation or a person belonging to a criminal organisation or an illegal money loaning operation then you can expect some nasty people to come around and attempt to make you pay in any number of harsh ways.

They do not care about legalities obviously and will use what ever means necessary to get their money back...including kidnapping and torture to make you pay back the money you borrowed.  

That happens often enough but until that happens,  if there is no official record of the money ever being loaned to you then you could play the innocent victim game and deny the accusations filed against you and go to the police hoping for protection....but the police here in Thailand would probably turn it around on you and twist your case into a means to make money on your predicament and or help extort the money out of you and take a share of it...lol  

If the money was loaned to you from shady and or illegal sources of money then you can expect to be forced to pay or maybe pay with your life if you do not correctly address the situation and or appease the nefarious  people that lent you the money.

So, question is: Are the 2 guys accused of extortion actually strong arm boys for shady characters lending money or are they legal debt collectors??? ...and did the person going to the police and filing the complaint actually borrow money legally???..... or obtain the money from an unregistered loan shark or shady money characters and now trying to deny he ever borrowed the money.   

I wonder, I wonder   

Cheers

13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Do boiler rooms extort victims face to face?  I always thought that they did it nicely on the phone so that victims didn't know they were being defrauded at the time.

I think my point flew right over your head? The point being that Kuhn Leonard may not be an entirely "innocent" victim, unlike those that are defrauded by boiler room scammers, who are.

9 hours ago, catman20 said:

again talks cheap, have you been drinking :burp: or have you been watching too many movies:cheesy:

Used to live in Florida, 'The Stand Your Ground State', you knock on someone's door down there and you might get lead poisoning..........:post-4641-1156693976:

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I think my point flew right over your head? The point being that Kuhn Leonard may not be an entirely "innocent" victim, unlike those that are defrauded by boiler room scammers, who are.

Leonard's wife could have a gambling problem. 

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Hmm,its took you a while to come back with a reply,maybe as its more than

a one liner,and you had to think what to write,and been proud of been banned,

like i said you should look for help,was the monkey looking back from your mirror?

take care regards worgeordie

Correct, it did take me a while to respond well spotted, in fact ten out of ten for observation, and this is shaping up for a second helping I fear

I cant tell you why, because that information is only released on a need to know basis, and you know the next six words dont you

Yes I do like to think before I type , I do so regret at my leisure when I go over the top and spoil somebodys day, dont you ?

I cant see where I stated I was proud of being banned, being man enough to admit to mistakes comes with growing a pair, a little bit different wouldn't you say

I would respectfully suggest that you refrain from attributing certain sentiments to myself in the future, if you ever feel the need again, to address a post to me

If for any reason you dont understand the last sentence then try, PLEASE stop putting words into my mouth

What kind of help are you suggesting I seek, [ answer not compulsory ] but if one is forthcoming I will certainly bow to your greater experience on these matters

From your response on my monkey problem, I must assume that you dont have a definitive answer

about said monkey

I bet you are not from Sunderland or Newcastle though are you bonny lad

Hopefully you will get your little fishy when the boat comes in, as long as its not flying the Tricolour

If you dont understand anything that has gone before in this post please dont hesitate to contact me

But please be a little patient as I am a busy man not a busy body

A disclaimer is called for here to protect my good name, the use of the words [ please be a  little patient ] in the sentence directly above is simply meant to mean have a little patience, I will eventually get back to you

I am not suggesting that you are of small stature, as in your inside leg measurement, and that you are currently under treatment from a Doctor / Hospital and certainly not calling your lifetime up to press achvievements into question

Hopefully I have set my stall out now and cleared the air, thus removing any misconceptions you might have had about any of my remarks or good intentions contained in my earlier posts

I am now finished for this reply, I dont know about anybody else, but I thank *%£$*^ for that

Good day to you sir

Happy days

8 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Correct, it did take me a while to respond well spotted, in fact ten out of ten for observation, and this is shaping up for a second helping I fear

I cant tell you why, because that information is only released on a need to know basis, and you know the next six words dont you

Yes I do like to think before I type , I do so regret at my leisure when I go over the top and spoil somebodys day, dont you ?

I cant see where I stated I was proud of being banned, being man enough to admit to mistakes comes with growing a pair, a little bit different wouldn't you say

I would respectfully suggest that you refrain from attributing certain sentiments to myself in the future, if you ever feel the need again, to address a post to me

If for any reason you dont understand the last sentence then try, PLEASE stop putting words into my mouth

What kind of help are you suggesting I seek, [ answer not compulsory ] but if one is forthcoming I will certainly bow to your greater experience on these matters

From your response on my monkey problem, I must assume that you dont have a definitive answer

about said monkey

I bet you are not from Sunderland or Newcastle though are you bonny lad

Hopefully you will get your little fishy when the boat comes in, as long as its not flying the Tricolour

If you dont understand anything that has gone before in this post please dont hesitate to contact me

But please be a little patient as I am a busy man not a busy body

A disclaimer is called for here to protect my good name, the use of the words [ please be a  little patient ] in the sentence directly above is simply meant to mean have a little patience, I will eventually get back to you

I am not suggesting that you are of small stature, as in your inside leg measurement, and that you are currently under treatment from a Doctor / Hospital and certainly not calling your lifetime up to press achvievements into question

Hopefully I have set my stall out now and cleared the air, thus removing any misconceptions you might have had about any of my remarks or good intentions contained in my earlier posts

I am now finished for this reply, I dont know about anybody else, but I thank *%£$*^ for that

Good day to you sir

Happy days

Thanks Oldlaky, all your points taken....and dismissed. 

regards Worgeordie, definitely not from Sunderland

Archived