Russian kills "fellow countryman" in Jomtien beach accident this morning

webfact

Russian kills "fellow countryman" in Jomtien beach accident this morning

6pm.jpg

Picture: Siamchon News

PATTAYA: -- A Russian motorist hit a pedestrian making a video call on his phone opposite The Now Hotel on Jomtien Beach road this morning.

The victim is also thought to be Russian but has not yet been identified.

An opened can of beer and a bottle of spirits was found in the Russian motorist's car.

Siamchon News included a video of the aftermath of the accident saying that the Russian driver made no attempt to flee. He had even gone up to the corpse and cried.

Police were called at 3am following the accident. Foundation medics from Sawang Boriboon Pattaya found the lifeless body of a 25-30 year old man under the wheel of a tour bus belonging to Kaset Bundit University.

The bus was stationary. The victim had been hit by a white Chevrolet Cruze driven by 35 year old Nikolajs Latvigas.

In the video he is heard to say in Thai that he did not see the pedestrian. A Thai person confirms, "You didn't see him walking?" to

which he agrees he had not.

An eye witness called Ratasaet Saewee, 29, who was with friends nearby said that he had seen the subsequent victim walking along making a video call on his phone but thought nothing of it. He was then hit by the Chrevrolet and ended up being thrown under the wheel of the tour bus that was parked.

An open can of beer was seen on the video in the car and police also said there was a bottle of spirits. The driver was given an alcohol breath test but no result was reported.

Siamchon News said that following the accident the Russian driver made no attempt to flee. Instead he parked and went up to the corpse, bent down and began to cry.

Police are trying to locate the relatives of the victim who had no ID with him. They believe he could be a Russian national from his

appearance.

Source: Siamchon News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-17

47 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i understand its very sad but what the hell is this guy wondering around in the road for, road are for cars and bikes,  pavements are for people your asking for troulbe RIP

Have you seen the so-called 'pavements' in Thailand? Maybe he was walking around scooters parked, a food cart or a lamp post........or any number of obstructions.

RIP to the deceased.

We all know that back home in our developed nations that this Russian would now be facing time in prison for involuntary manslaughter and driving offences, but I am and always have been confused as to what happens here in these situations. We all know money talks in Thailand but I have not heard much about the aftermath of these incidents with farang killing people either by bike or car, what would be the 'standard' or 'normal' sentence he is probably looking at realistically? 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

In the video he is heard to say in Thai that he did not see the pedestrian. A Thai person confirms, "You didn't see him walking?"

More senseless death. 3:00 am. Thailand can be dangerous at the best of times. 3:00 am  doesn't shout out sobriety.

However, from the quote,  the question mark doesn't support confirmation. If the Thai person confirms, it would be a statement. "You didn't see him walking". With the question mark it's more like "You didn't see him walking. [How could you not see him]? Two very different meanings. Ah English a beautifully complex language.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

i understand its very sad but what the hell is this guy wondering around in the road for, road are for cars and bikes,  pavements are for people your asking for troulbe RIP

I assume you have never walked Jomtien Second Road, which is an informal motorbike path in constant usage, due in part to poor placement of U turns etc. Nearly run over several times there and that is even with keeping an eye out for bikes.

1 hour ago, Slotman said:

Have you seen the so-called 'pavements' in Thailand? Maybe he was walking around scooters parked, a food cart or a lamp post........or any number of obstructions.

RIP to the deceased.

yes and i know that area well no problems there with footpaths there and quite wide also.

50 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I assume you have never walked Jomtien Second Road, which is an informal motorbike path in constant usage, due in part to poor placement of U turns etc. Nearly run over several times there and that is even with keeping an eye out for bikes.

i know the area well obviously  better than you as the accident happened on beach road not second road.:post-4641-1156694572:

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

We all know that back home in our developed nations that this Russian would now be facing time in prison for involuntary manslaughter and driving offences, but I am and always have been confused as to what happens here in these situations. We all know money talks in Thailand but I have not heard much about the aftermath of these incidents with farang killing people either by bike or car, what would be the 'standard' or 'normal' sentence he is probably looking at realistically? 

In the case of a Western guy killing a Thai family member when speeding & then fleeing the scene of the accident in Pattaya (stopped & arrested 30 minutes later), Thai police negotiated on the behalf of family and family received 300k baht, plus 30k baht for funeral expenses. As compensation accepted no Court prosecution. Don't know if or how much tea money paid to police

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

It's safe to assume that you don't know that the accident did not happen on Jomtien Second Road so the condition of that road's pavements is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

pay the cops to make bail and leave the country would be my guess. i know a guy who killed a girl drink driving and he paid everyone out and did not do jail time. 

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

pay the cops to make bail and leave the country would be my guess. i know a guy who killed a girl drink driving and he paid everyone out and did not do jail time. 

very sad all around, i dont agree with drinking and driving but if some one walks out into the road its not always the driver fault and just cos hes over the drink drive limit he get all the blame and then get well and truly fxxxxxd. these accidents happens all the time when people are not drinking and driving also.

I  recently saw a horrific you tube styled CCTV video compilation  which showed pedestrian after pedestrian ,  dozens of them. many whom were young woman killed outright by motor vehicles, and guess what?They were all using smart phones.It would have to be one of the most dangerous things anyone can do and i implore people not to talk, text or surf while they  walk!

9 minutes ago, jhonnie said:

I  recently saw a horrific you tube styled CCTV video compilation  which showed pedestrian after pedestrian ,  dozens of them. many whom were young woman killed outright by motor vehicles, and guess what?They were all using smart phones.It would have to be one of the most dangerous things anyone can do and i implore people not to talk, text or surf while they  walk!

yes and even more dangerous when driving lol

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

In the case of a Western guy killing a Thai family member when speeding & then fleeing the scene of the accident in Pattaya (stopped & arrested 30 minutes later), Thai police negotiated on the behalf of family and family received 300k baht, plus 30k baht for funeral expenses. As compensation accepted no Court prosecution. Don't know if or how much tea money paid to police

Yeah I thought so.. hence why we have heard no word about the recent case of the Liverpudlian guy who killed to Thai guys after he had been drinking all afternoon. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

yes and even more dangerous when driving lol

Just last week, in the UK, they have doubled the fine and Points on your Licence..

but really anyone caught driving and on the mobile, should loose there Licence..

countless deaths because of this...

Selfish....for sure...

Have you ever had a walk in Thailand?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The news report said morning but clearly this is in the middle of the night. Lots of drunk driving going on and if you have to walk , walk on the pavement if you can.  Maybe the victim was not focused and drunk too.   A direct hit like that will kill even if he was driving around 60 km/h .   

5 hours ago, gdgbb said:

It's safe to assume that you don't know that the accident did not happen on Jomtien Second Road so the condition of that road's pavements is irrelevant.

I live here, and the design IS in fact relevant as in it's current state, it forces more traffic onto Jomtien Beach Road. Second Road's poor placement of U-turns, lack of access, and intersections forces you to drive a significant distance out of your way in order to get around the area. It is an obstacle. The way it is now, it is mostly used as a drag strip or racetrack as it is an awesome uninterrupted straightaway. If I want to get 50m across to the next neighbourhood to get drinking water, I must travel about 1.5 to 2 kms using the stupid second road. Many others are also forced to use the busy slow Jomtien Beach Road as it is the most viable option although you travel like a snail.

Rip out the barriers on second road, so traffic can easily get where they are going, and see an immediate reduction in volume on Jomtien Beach Road, and less accidents there.

Archived