Driving from Bkk to Dawei?

Smithson

Late last year I was told by border officials that it's possible to drive from Bkk to Dawei via the Ban Phu Nam Ron border crossing. I've searched but am finding conflicting info. Can anyone tell me if this is possible in our own car (registered in wife's name, with her driving).

• 1 year later...

Not necessarily that expensive, depends on number of vehicles in group and how long you are staying. Thai based travel agents offer competitive prices but you are right that it's pricey and requires permits in advance and guide.

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

About $2,000 for all permits guide, etc. around 4 days

if u have 4 cars than $500  each

Not worth it, grab a taxi an make sure u head to Maung Magan beach, ( about 18 kms out of town)

Depends on who's making the quote. Generally speaking it doesn't go down by that much. I have been quoted around $1200-1500 for a 4 day trip for one car/1 traveler including hotels (for 4 travelers the per person cost goes down to around $400-500). A northern Thailand based agency conducts regular tours where a 4-5 day trip can cost just $600-800 per vehicle, though they are responsible for finding participants and generally go through Tachilek or Myawaddy rather than Phu Nam Ron.

Various agents have told me that prices depend on the number of travelers rather than the number of vehicles in the group. However, since you need 2 seats in your car, one for the government guide and one for the travel agency guide unless you also hire a lead vehicle it makes more sense to go in a group of at least 2 vehicles, with one guide sitting in each.

Until or unless prices come down to a more reasonable level, such as no more than 20% more than hiring a car with driver then going with your own car is not worth it unless you go on a caravan tour with many vehicles and participants where the cost then becomes relatively reasonable.

Otherwise, I have found that going with your own car is about 3 times more expensive than hiring a car with driver at the border or airport not to mention you have to plan far in advance and fix your dates.

• 11 months later...

I went through the Htee Khee/Phu Nam Ron border recently and found there is a travel agency that can secure the permits to visit Dawei with your own car for just 5500 Baht provided a minimum of 5-6 vehicles are in the group. They offer a 3 day 2 night tour for just 8900 Baht per vehicle including accommodation I believe (it goes up to around 14000 Baht depending on what's included) and can secure the permits with just 1 week lead time.

Archived