Ticket out of Thailand

I would have thought so, unless you were arriving on a longstay visa like a Non-O.  But, do they ever check for departure ticket?  I cvant reemember.  I have been on a long stay for years.  And how easy is it to cancel the second 1/2 of a return ticket, anyway. (Answer:  Usually, VERY easy, so I am told!  Depends on your airline and ticket change conditions)

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to have a return ticket in any case. Only a onward ticket is required if you don't have a valid visa for entry. If you have a a valid visa of any type a onward ticket is not required for entry.

...if you don't have a visa the airline will not let you travel is the way I think it works..

20 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...if you don't have a visa the airline will not let you travel is the way I think it works..

It's either/or.  Either a visa OR an onward ticket within 30d (assuming you're a national of a country whose citizens are eligible for visa-exempt) in order to be issued a boarding pass at check-in.  Some airlines may be more lax than others about this of course, and some less knowledgeable counter agents may ask for the onward ticket even though you have a visa (in which case a little polite discussion usually resolves the issue if you don't have one).

But I think this hardly ever comes up at Immigration unless they're flagging you for some other reason; only at airline check-in. 

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

That's correct for a number of countries, and people do get stopped. Hawker 9000 just posted clarification.

For entering Thailand, technically the onward ticket is required if you do not have a visa, but the airlines I fly with (airasia regularly) don't normally ask for it.

Thai Immigration don't normally ask for it either.

FYI, airasia do ask for onward ticket for some other countries such as the philippines, and they check visa for Myanmar, Macau before allowing you boarding

so its always possible they could start checking onward ticket for people flying into Thailand.

The Op said he has a Non-O visa and should therefore be ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oohwan said:

Thanks everyone.

So if the onward ticket is not needed, what would I write on the departure card the airline gives me? Does it not ask when I will be leaving Thailand?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You do not have to complete the departure card until you depart.  The arrival card does not ask when you are leaving.

2 minutes ago, Oohwan said:

Thanks everyone.

So if the onward ticket is not needed, what would I write on the departure card the airline gives me? Does it not ask when I will be leaving Thailand?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The only thing you need to complete on the departure card is your name and passport number.

26 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Is this a new policy for air travel? Is it strictly enforced for visa exempt entry?

It has been the policy for many years.

Not normally enforced by immigration but people are often denied boarding of  their flight without a onward ticket. 

On 3/19/2017 at 9:50 PM, Upnotover said:

Not needed.

Disagree - my wife is from Vietnam, she came to meet here in Bangkok me two days ago - they made her buy a return ticket in Ho Chi Minh airport or she couldn't board - first time this has ever happened, she has met me here a dozen times in last 5 years, never needed a return ticket before Saturday.  She has never failed to return on time, never overstayed........maybe just a new rule for Asean travellers??

Edited by TunnelRat69

4 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Disagree - my wife is from Vietnam, she came to meet here in Bangkok me two days ago - they made her buy a return ticket in Ho Chi Minh airport or she couldn't board - first time this has ever happened, she has met me here a dozen times in last 5 years, never needed a return ticket before Saturday.  She has never failed to return on time, never overstayed........maybe just a new rule for Asean travellers??

Did she have a visa? Because that was Upnotover referred to, as has been explained earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

If you will fly to the Philippines without having a Philippine residency visa, you need an onward ticket, at least when flying Cebupacific.

You cannot board without showing them one. (if necessary, they are willing to check for you the cheapest option and you can buy this ticket when checking in)

Munotlaw

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I am pretty sure she was trying to travel without a visa, and enter Thailand visa exempt. This is completely different from the OP's situation, entering Thailand with a valid Non Imm O visa.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am pretty sure she was trying to travel without a visa, and enter Thailand visa exempt. This is completely different from the OP's situation, entering Thailand with a valid Non Imm O visa.

You are correct, Visa on Arrival but first time she has been required to have a return ticket........not a problem, just curious.

26 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You are correct, Visa on Arrival but first time she has been required to have a return ticket........not a problem, just curious.

When traveling without a visa, intending to enter Thailand visa exempt (not to be confused with visa on arrival which is different, and open to other nationalities) the airline check in is always liable to ask for an onward ticket out of Thailand. They are less likely to check when using regional flights but (as your wife discovered) it can still happen.

If you have a Visa you don't need to show them a flight ticket to go out of Thaialnd.
If you arrive without Visa, some airlines ask for it, it is a IATA requirement I have been told...
Nevertheless, if you don't mind wasting time, raising voice, play drama queen and be looked down by the rest of the passengers at the checking desk, they always end up giving you your boarding pass...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, tomaway said:

If you arrive without Visa, some airlines ask for it, it is a IATA requirement I have been told...

The IATA info only lists Thailand's requirements. They are not their requirements.

Thanks for the info UbonJoe.

It happened to me several time coming back to Thailand after work and having only a 1 way ticket.

In the end, most of the company have a paper saying that you will pay for your ticket in case immigration doesn't grant you entry in the kingdom.

Unfortunately though the requirements as stated for the single-entry visa on the LA Consulate website state under Requirements:  " 1 copy of airline ticket (confirmed onward ticket – showing flights into and out of Thailand. Either paper ticket or confirmed e-ticket is acceptable. Itinerary is NOT accepted."

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=32

I just called the LA Consulate and  the operator confirmed the requirement.

It's possible I'll be able to get a better deal buying a one way rather than a round trip.

And I hate to pin myself down to a precise exit date if that's the case.

So unless the info is incorrect, if I do get a one way in I'll buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand to a neighboring country to submit to the Consulate.

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

So unless the info is incorrect, if I do get a one way in I'll buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand to a neighboring country to submit to the Consulate.

You don"t need a round trip ticket. You can get one way ticket and a ticket out of Thailand to anywhere.