Five dead, at least 40 injured in UK parliament 'terrorist' attack

webfact

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You seem to have missed my point.

Of course anyone would be terrified and panicky if a car was hurtling towards them at high speed; whether that car was driven by a drunk, a terrorists or had simply gone out of control.

But Hopkins was trying to convince her American audience that the people of Britain are living in a constant state of fear; which we are not.

We didn't during the Blitz, we didn't during the IRA campaign; we won't let these scumbags effect us in that way either.

Vigilance and caution, of course; fear; never.

I have had some near misses. 

Friends of mine were in the Horse and Groom on 5th October 1974 when the IRA bomb went off; I'd have been there with them had my train not been late. Did it make me afraid to go into a pub? Of course not.

I was travelling on the Tube on the morning of 7th July 2005. Did I stop travelling on the Tube after those attacks? No, of course not.

Not terrorist related, but on the morning of 12th December 1988 I was slightly early and so caught the train to Waterloo  before my usual one. My usual train was the one involved in the Clapham crash. Did that make me afraid to travel by train. Of course not.

These near misses may have made you afraid; but not me. I don't know your nationality, but I can assure you that we British are made of sterner stuff.

The Luftwaffe didn't destroy our spirit, the IRA didn't destroy our spirit, and these Islamist terrorists wont either.

You're probably a remarkably courageous fellow but not everyone is as fearless as you even though you've not yet been a victim of the IRA nor the sons of Mohamed.

The British are like any other people. My family lived in London when the Blitz began. My mother and older siblings did not wait to be evacuated they moved up to Ross on Wye as soon as the war started and lived in a tent. Baldwin had told the nation that the bomber will always get through and many folk understandably took him at his word. The government made a film about it and made no secret of the danger that bombing raids presented. Fifty odd thousand British victims of the Blitz soon had no spirit left to destroy because they were dead.

The bombing of Guernica was still fresh in people's minds and there was also the threat of poison gas attacks. That's why everyone got a gas mask. They were terrified, not just for themselves but for their friends and relatives as well. Well, my mother and brother and sisters were, you'd probably have just taken it in your stride.

As a child my mother also remembered the Zeppelin airships going over London dropping their bombs during the Great War. In those days few people had even seen an airplane. To Londoners back then these huge gray cigar like monsters droning across the night sky dropping death and destruction were like something out of a Jules Verne story. Folk were terrified then as well, even in those long forgotten days not everyone possessed your strength of character nor your iron will.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@yogi100,

From the stories I was told by my parents, father joined the RAF in 1939 as a volunteer, mother joined the ATS in 1939 as a volunteer, and other relatives and their friends of that generation; you have sadly misrepresented the spirit of the British people at the time. Maybe your family were living scared in a tent in Ross on Wye for the whole 6 years; but most were not. Whether they stayed in London or any of the other cities which were Blitzed or moved away for the duration..

You may have been scared all the time during the IRA campaign; you may be scared now, but most of the rest of us are not.

We will not let the terrorists defeat us by making us cower in our homes, afraid of when the next outrage may happen; even if that is what you are doing.

Nothing you can say will convince me otherwise.

The Luftwaffe didn't destroy our spirit, the IRA didn't destroy our spirit, and these Islamist terrorists wont either.

Post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

I sorry to say... It has just been reported that Andreea Cristea the woman pulled out of the Thames has died in hospital as a result of her injuries. RIP

Yes indeed RIP so sad and deepest condolences to her family but please don't forget that some people living in Uk will be celebrating. 

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why? Because they don't like Romanians?

Look here mush l'll say the same to you as written to another on here and if you don't like it tough.

" Look OK you and me are " Kepela " l don't think we could ever agree,  l dislike all religions and muslim sectors but l hate Sharia muslin and l am not alone.

So lets just call it day, you like muslims and l don't, so end of. "

7 hours ago, Basil B said:

I sorry to say... It has just been reported that Andreea Cristea the woman pulled out of the Thames has died in hospital as a result of her injuries. 

RIP

Yes very sad to hear another victim of an Islamic terrorist didn't survive her injuries and added to the 

death toll, may she RIP.

In Sweden Stockholm this afternoon a similar attack was carried out when a lorry was driven in a busy

pedestrian shopping street running in to people as they were walking along.

This seems to be becoming the Islamic terrorists preferred method of attack.

9 minutes ago, sotsira said:

Yes very sad to hear another victim of an Islamic terrorist didn't survive her injuries and added to the 

death toll, may she RIP.

In Sweden Stockholm this afternoon a similar attack was carried out when a lorry was driven in a busy

Yeah and car bombs have been around a long time too.

My deepest sympathies to the Swedish people.  

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's "you're". Yes, it's a serious subject and yes, I'm winding you up, as that's what inflammatory and Islamophobic comments deserve. You certainly don't deserve to be taken seriously, although I concede many others shamefully seem to share your hateful views.

As l have already said you and me will always be on different sides of the river, and you go on to insult me, as far as l'm concerned with people like you all l have to say is roll on the Islamic State UK.

As l have already said you and me will always be on different sides of the river, and you go on to insult me, as far as l'm concerned with people like you all l have to say is roll on the Islamic State UK.

I'm on the side that hates all terrorism and I haven't insulted anyone.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

54 minutes ago, sotsira said:

It does seem that these vehicular attacks are on the increase in Europe; whilst organised, pre planned attacks are declining. One explanation for this being the increasing success of the security services in identifying and preventing attacks involving groups using explosives or weapons before they happen. That success doubtless being due in part to intelligence gathered from within the Muslim community.

Far easier for an individual to hire, steal or hijack a vehicle than for an individual or group to obtain explosives or guns and transport them to the target without detection.

Of course, such attacks are not limited to Islamist terrorists; the Jan 2017 Melbourne attack being one recent example.

Archived