Thai ID Card For Foreigner

Hi Everyone,

Being retired here i went to Amphur office to obtain yellow house reg book which i now have, and , was told that i am now entitled to a thai id card which i will pick up next week, i could have had it yesterday but it was a bit busy.

They say in the office that this is now a new thing for qualifying foreigners to have an id card, it will be pink colour as opposed to the thai one. 

The Amphur office i go to is Soengsang, Korat.

As seen in previous post this has popped up at the beginning of last year (2016).

It does not hurt to get one. Nice to have.

Just don't set your expectations too high about the use it has.

Got mine in October last year.

45 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

`What good is the ID card? What does it do that a Thai driver's license can't do?

The 'Good' thing is they got your fingerprints!!

• Like 1

I went to Immigration at Kap Choeng this morning to register my change of address as my partner and I have just moved in to our new house in Prasat (Surin). I took the opportunity - as we had our new Blue Book for the property with us - to ask about a Yellow Book for me.

Their basic answer was: Don't bother, doesn't do anything, what's important for you is your visa (OA) & extension later this year on the basis of retirement ... but do it at the Prasat amphoe if you want.

So I remain in some doubt whether to go through the YB hoops or not (and the pink ID - particularly attractive for a gay couple ?). I don't have a problem with bank accounts - have opened both joint & individual accounts with BKKBk  over the years no sweat. I have a Thai d/l ditto. So what's the problem or problems that YB and/orThai ID would fix for me? About the only thing I can think of that would be nice would be if I could get into the Thai queue on arrival back at Suwanna from o/s ...

Any sensible advice appreciated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

Asking at an immigration office if you should get a house registration book is like asking at a district office if you should apply for an extension is stay. In both cases, you will not get a professional answer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Fine, so do you have some positive advice to give in response to my query?

7 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Thai immigration are not interested if you have a yellow book, I just attach a photo copy of wife's tabian baan and ID card to rest of TM 7 and paperwork. Accepted yesterday for annual extension based on retirement, new surprise this year, a map of where you live drawn in the IO on a new form, write all address details and tel no and sign. In office no longer than 35 mins, no complaints from me. This at the IO that Phu Toei falls under. 

31 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

The yellow house book would not be much help at immigration.

It is good to have since it is a proof of residence you can use to get a drivers license or to register a vehicle. It should also make it easier to open a bank account.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The yellow house book would not be much help at immigration.

It is good to have since it is a proof of residence you can use to get a drivers license or to register a vehicle. It should also make it easier to open a bank account.

OK, so confirms the general picture - more 'nice to have' than 'essential' (at least in my case). Will probably do it in slow time (on a slow day) ...

I'm miffed wife has 2 Houses , being married I only sign the form that gives me her permission to live in her house I just sit there like a Dork with 800 K in a Bank Book wondering why I'm there anyway..Thanks for the reply,Ferang chums make out it's their place ,not rented,so I wondered why I'd never seen one..[emoji481]Cheers .!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My positive advice is to disregard the information you got from the immigration office regarding the usefulness or the lack of usefulness of the yellow house registration book except as regards regards its acceptance or non-acceptance by immigration for whatever, if anything, you expected it to be acceptable by immigration.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

maybe helpful in buying sim card too, no one would let me buy a sim card with a passport, so i borrowed a thai id card. maybe some thai ineptness there though, how the hell would a foreigner buy a sim card? 

Edited by at15

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, Ace of Pop said:

Is a Yellow Book related to rented property.?.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, it's related to being issued to a foreign who registers his details under the Civilian Registration Act at his local Amphur.

Your marital status or living circumstances are irrelevant, other than obtaining the permission of the house owner if rented.

Found getting the ID card a simple process as have had the yellow TB card for a couple of years. Only issue was I needed to get letter from the issuing office of my TB (Nongprue) since they couldn't issue the ID card there and I had to go to amphur at Banglamung for that. 15 mins at Nongprue where they smilingly issued me with the letter required which was basically conformation of TB details and they even took copies required and stapled them together for me to hand over at the amphur. 20 mins at amphur with a few extra bits they wanted which they link to card (religion, phone number, blood group) photo and fingerprints, 100 baht and done.

Not sure how much use it will be at the moment but, since i plan on living here long term, worth having now since it might become harder to get and more useful or a requirement in the future.

3 hours ago, dentonian said:

How wrong Immigration are!

It depends on how you put your house book and ID card to use.

Thais for example only require their Tabien Baan and ID card to carry out any procedures at government offices.

That's because their details are registered on the governments database and can be checked by any government department.

Foreigners almost always use their passport as their form as ID, but in certain circumstances require Certificates of Residence as proof of address.

When you apply for a Tabien Baan, you are in fact registering and have your details entered on the governments database.

The ID card carries the same ID number as the TB, therefore linking the two as one.

Initially I used my Passport as ID for any government business.

Since obtaining my TB and Foreigners ID card, I subsequently substituted my Passport ID number for my registered Thai ID number at the government establishments I have to visit.

In short, I can renew my Driving Licence, open new bank accounts, buy or sell a vehicle, apply for tax returns with just the presentation of my Tabien Baan and ID card, without endless photocopies of this and that.

In effect I am now treated no differently, or have to present anything differently than any Thai.

Thank you for that. Most useful.

25 minutes ago, falang07 said:

you can apply for tax returns online

Once registered and if you can read Thai fluently.

Out of curiosity did you use your passport as ID and copies of a Thais (wife/landlord)Tabien Baan as proof of address, or your Tabien Baan and Foreigners Thai ID card to register.

No need to read Thai, they provide English versions, too (www.rd.go.th/publish/fileadmin/download/english_form/PIT90_160360.pdf ) + you can use Google translate, it is very easy this way, too. I registered using my passport only.

Edited by falang07