Caretaker sent to jail for 21 years after he was identified by a foreigner's children as a thief could soon be released from jail

webfact

A caretaker who was sent to jail for 21 years after he was identified by a foreigner's two young children as a thief could soon be released from jail

1am.jpg

Picture: Kapook

BANGKOK: -- Forty eight year old Kamon Phaekhiaw was given the hefty sentence after the children aged 7 and 11 pointed to him. He was convicted of robbing a house in Sri Prajan district of Suphanburi.

But he always protested his complete innocence.

He has already served four years in Ratchaburi's Klang Khao Bin jail. But recently two convicts arrived and seeing Kamon depressed they asked him what was wrong.

He told the new arrivals about how he had been jailed for something he had not done and the two new inmates realized that they were responsible for the crime themselves. They had managed to get away scot free but had since been jailed on another matter.

The two inmates felt sorry for Kamon and decided to write to the Justice Ministry to own up, Kapook.com said citing a story that has appeared on Channel 3 television.

The Department of Special Investigations (DSI) and the Justice Ministry sent a team of investigators to interview the two inmates and found their testimony was consistent with details of the crime.

Though investigations are ongoing kapok reported there is a good chance that the caretaker was wrongly accused and will be freed now that the case has been reopened.

Neither the nationality nor identity of the foreigner who was the victim of the original robbery was mentioned in the online report.

Source: Kapook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-24

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

While all possibly true, it strikes me that the two new inmates their testimony was consistent with details of the crime could have come from them being debriefed by the one guy!

On the other hand, one would hope (sic) that good investigators would know techniques to crack any collusion. I'm guessing this be part of the techniques used as part of most interviews.  

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

While all possibly true, it strikes me that the two new inmates their testimony was consistent with details of the crime could have come from them being debriefed by the one guy!

Yes, I thought that too

I would own up to a few things if the price was right, or the threat real enough

Then again, maybe we've been here too long

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

As pointed out by numerous posters yesterday, some sentences here are quite bizarre.

21 years !

In the States one will get life if convicted for the third time, even for stealing a chocolate bar in a store, because then one is a recidivist and can not be reeducated.

20 minutes ago, bandito said:

In the States one will get life if convicted for the third time, even for stealing a chocolate bar in a store, because then one is a recidivist and can not be reeducated.

Don't think most US states deserve any compliment about the justice system.

4 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

What would you suggest is appropriate for burglary?

Certainly not 21 years... I feel 4-5 years is quite long, of course it should depend on how much is stolen and recovered and if violence was used or not. Fraud for instance with millions of baht stolen (the ponzi scheme that was in the news) should have longer punishment.

Though I get why burgalry is sensative.. the safety of your home is violated.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ29mwi-7SAhWMtY8KHc79CjMQFggaMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sentencingcouncil.org.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FBurglary_Definitive_Guideline_web_final.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG8OEkcuL_bEBUWavaweWLVkUcUqw&sig2=4B2dBYH6bOCVcwnWfrjwrQ

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Certainly not 21 years... I feel 4-5 years is quite long, of course it should depend on how much is stolen and recovered and if violence was used or not. Fraud for instance with millions of baht stolen (the ponzi scheme that was in the news) should have longer punishment.

Though I get why burgalry is sensative.. the safety of your home is violated.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ29mwi-7SAhWMtY8KHc79CjMQFggaMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sentencingcouncil.org.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FBurglary_Definitive_Guideline_web_final.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG8OEkcuL_bEBUWavaweWLVkUcUqw&sig2=4B2dBYH6bOCVcwnWfrjwrQ

Unless its a Government official of course where you think a slap on the wrist and early retirement with full benefits is a fitting punishment.

Just now, smutcakes said:

Unless its a Government official of course where you think a slap on the wrist and early retirement with full benefits is a fitting punishment.

A theft from a hotel, is different then a theft from a private home. We were also talking about a 5000 bt painting. 

Don't think it would even be called burglary, as i said burglary is sensitive because the safety of a home is violated. That certainly is not the same as the hotel case. 

I think you will find that I am in general for lower punishment for non violent crimes and victim-less drug crimes (use of without going into a vehicle or using violence). But I do want big cases of corruption and fraud to be punished harsher, the more you steal and the less is recovered the higher the punishment of course. Criminals should not benefit from their crimes.

I am more in favor of harsh punishment for violent  crimes, I hate violence and it is rampant here. 

Crazy Thailand. Yesterday we see a guy getting 21 years for drugging and raping his 8 year old daughter who subsequently died and this guy gets the same for theft!

Something Very, Very wrong with sentencing policy.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I scanned but couldn't find the ages (at the time of the event) of the 2 kids.

Anybody see this info?

BANGKOK: -- Forty eight year old Kamon Phaekhiaw was given the hefty sentence after the children aged 7 and 11 pointed to him. He was convicted of robbing a house in Sri Prajan district of Suphanburi.

1 hour ago, Sphere said:

If this catches on.....there could be just 1 prisoner left in all of LOS...... :coffee1:

My wife's step-brother often goes to jail @ 300 baht a day for stuff he didn't do on behalf of others.  He prefers it to working in the fields.

Archived