Caretaker sent to jail for 21 years after he was identified by a foreigner's children as a thief could soon be released from jail

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, webfact said:

He has already served four years in Ratchaburi's Klang Khao Bin jail. But recently two convicts arrived and seeing Kamon depressed they asked him what was wrong.

Sorry this is a little confusing (to my addled brain anyway) ---the 4 years he has done in jail already is not for the crime we are talking about---"Yes" ??

but for robbing another foreign person ??

My Thai reading is very bad so I concede I may have this wrong--

The 21 year sentence (which would have been 10 years ---still very excessive-- ) works on the admit guilt 50% immediate reduction Thai Policy.--Much like the Western policies for murder = life sentence not usually  parole until you admit & atone. 

Or...maybe I have got this all about face--& I really am a butterfly dreaming I am human.....:coffee1:

6 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Sorry this is a little confusing (to my addled brain anyway) ---the 4 years he has done in jail already is not for the crime we are talking about---"Yes" ??

but for robbing another foreign person ??

My Thai reading is very bad so I concede I may have this wrong--

The 21 year sentence (which would have been 10 years ---still very excessive-- ) works on the admit guilt 50% immediate reduction Thai Policy.--Much like the Western policies for murder = life sentence not usually  parole until you admit & atone. 

Or...maybe I have got this all about face--& I really am a butterfly dreaming I am human.....:coffee1:

I understood it that he's served 4 years of the 21...

Odds are your probably right BwindiBoy---- most people minds are clearer than mine  this time of day..... I know that we can only post in English.....hoping some latitude from the mods while someone with better skills than mine (that shouldn't be hard to find) points out I that got it all wrong...........Once Again.....:coffee1:

เหตุการณ์ดังกล่าวเกิดขึ้นหลังจากที่ นักโทษทั้งสองรายได้พบกับนายกมลในเรือนจำ ซึ่งมีอาการซึมเศร้าตลอดเวลา จึงเข้าไปสอบถามก็พบว่านายกมล ติดคุกมา 4 ปี ในข้อหาปล้นบ้านชาวต่างชาติ ที่ จ.สุพรรณบุรี เมื่อได้ฟังจึงนึกได้ว่าเป็นคดีที่พวกตนได้ทำไว้แต่หลบหนีไปได้ในครั้งอดี

51 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Crazy Thailand. Yesterday we see a guy getting 21 years for drugging and raping his 8 year old daughter who subsequently died and this guy gets the same for theft!

Something Very, Very wrong with sentencing policy.

Yea!

Just look at all those who are well connected (Thailand love their HiSo's) that get away with a slap on the wrist, a fine and some time in the temple for vehicle manslaughter (even if they leave scores of dead behind) while poor, unconnected people are sentenced to jail for the same thing.

9 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

Yea!

Just look at all those who are well connected (Thailand love their HiSo's) that get away with a slap on the wrist, a fine and some time in the temple for vehicle manslaughter (even if they leave scores of dead behind) while poor, unconnected people are sentenced to jail for the same thing.

Indeed. Many years ago I was visiting some poor soul in Nong Plalai prison near Pattaya and a little old Thai lady said the truest thing I have ever heard on this subject.

She told me "This prison isn't full of guilty people, it's full of poor people."

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Indeed. Many years ago I was visiting some poor soul in Nong Plalai prison near Pattaya and a little old Thai lady said the truest thing I have ever heard on this subject.

She told me "This prison isn't full of guilty people, it's full of poor people."

Wonderful wise Thai lady - so very, very true. And particularly poor immigrants - some on death row convicted on evidence that would have been thrown out by any half-reasonable judicial system - think Koh Tao.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

What would you suggest is appropriate for burglary?

Five years, if no violence was involved.... which is a long time in a hell hole.

im still outraged at the leniency of the guy who chased that girl over a cliff in krabi, then proceeded to sexually molest her broken body at the bottom of the cliff ( can't remember penalty offhand... but it was a pittance compared to the crime)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3887826/Backpacker-broke-falling-150ft-cliff-Thailand-sexually-assaulted-ten-hours-lay-injured.html

just checked... five years.

One more obvious shortcoming of an inadequate investigative and judicial process heaped upon a disregard for less the less 'monied'.  One would think it rather easy to bring into question the testimony of two young foreign kids who would struggle to tell the difference between Thai faces in broad daylight ... not to mention all of the other circumstances surrounding the alleged crime.  Easy for everyone to convict and move on without doing the proper investigative work and providing capable legal counsel.

2 minutes ago, Spock said:
3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

What would you suggest is appropriate for burglary?

Two to three years.

They didn't say if it was Burglary --or B & E. , there is a big difference in the sentencing in the west & here for the former.

2 hours ago, snoopy21 said:

Simply because they are foreigner's kids, the police believes on what they said? TIT!

This proof that sometimes we can't really believe a kid as a kid, still is a kid. So sorry to this man just because he is poor.

46 minutes ago, Spock said:

Two to three years.

Dependent on the circumstances.

I'm a bit inconsistent on this point as whilst its obvious that violent robbery/breaking in whilst the occupier is there demands a higher sentence, I see no reason why someone that burgles a rich person should get a higher sentence than someone that burgles a poor person.

Whilst at the same time thinking those involved in big 'cons', e.g ponzi schemes and the like - should receive big sentences even though there is no violence involved.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

I scanned but couldn't find the ages (at the time of the event) of the 2 kids.

Anybody see this info?

Line two of the report Sherlock ...

you could easily get a job as detective for RTP...

Archived