Taco Bell

cathyy

My husband has been here a few months now...apparently just long enough to develop massive Taco Bell cravings. Please don't think we confuse Taco Bell with Mexican cooking. We can get Mexican cooking here. We can't supply him with a Taco Bell fix, though.

Taco Bell is owned by the same corporate conglomerate as Pizza Hut and KFC, two of the most broadly available chains in Thailand. So why can't they open a Taco Bell here anywhere? Believe me, my husband would travel to Bangkok for it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would travel to BKK from Suphan if there was a Taco Bell...superb cuisine and splendid memories of the TB parking lot in Laguna Beach and events leading up to a bust for 3 joints in 1968. The cop said 'I hope you enjoyed the tacos pal 'cause yer looking at 1 to 5 for possesion...'

Taco Smell

First they found E Coli in the green onions and now in the lettuce. They are running adds on TV in Texas to attract people back after they had to shut down so many of their outlets on the east coast of the US as people were getting ill. I prefer Taco Cabana here http://www.tacocabana.com/index.asp as they have better food and serve good margaritas which is unusual for a fast food joint... but you must drink it in the restaurant... no carryout of margaritas.

According to KFC higher management there are no plans for a taco bell.

I advise that you take a trip to Singapore and stock up on food and take tacos home and try freezing them.

Then again that is just tad extreme for Mexican fast food.

I suppose that if one was to combine mexican fast food with narcotics in Singapore one could very easily be hanged...

According to KFC higher management there are no plans for a taco bell.

I advise that you take a trip to Singapore and stock up on food and take tacos home and try freezing them.

Then again that is just tad extreme for Mexican fast food.

I suppose that if one was to combine mexican fast food with narcotics in Singapore one could very easily be hanged...

XDDD

My husband has been here a few months now...apparently just long enough to develop massive Taco Bell cravings. Please don't think we confuse Taco Bell with Mexican cooking. We can get Mexican cooking here. We can't supply him with a Taco Bell fix, though.

Taco Bell is owned by the same corporate conglomerate as Pizza Hut and KFC, two of the most broadly available chains in Thailand. So why can't they open a Taco Bell here anywhere? Believe me, my husband would travel to Bangkok for it.

It's very unlikely... Of all the Thais, I know, who studied in the States, there's only one who actually like TacoBell... and he's borned and raised in the US.

Edited by patri

If we ever go to Singapore we'll be sure to hit the Taco Bell and the Apple store. I'm wondering if the combination of the two is enough to lure my husband there? Not likely.

Chi-Chi's is ok, but we can get that kind of food (bad Mexican) here. The absolute best Mexican food I ever ate was in Angeles City, Philippines. A new restaurant opened while I was there, in about '85. The Mexican wife of my SMSgt supplied all the recipes and taught the local cooks how to cook everything. Mm mm.

If we ever go to Singapore we'll be sure to hit the Taco Bell and the Apple store. I'm wondering if the combination of the two is enough to lure my husband there? Not likely.

Chi-Chi's is ok, but we can get that kind of food (bad Mexican) here. The absolute best Mexican food I ever ate was in Angeles City, Philippines. A new restaurant opened while I was there, in about '85. The Mexican wife of my SMSgt supplied all the recipes and taught the local cooks how to cook everything. Mm mm.

where did they get masa mix for corn tortillas? A reliable source for BKK mexican restaurants would improve the offering considerably...

masa mix...a mixture of cornmeal and ground limestone...cannot make corn tortillas without it...and without corn tortillas you can never have proper mexican cuisine...

when in a market in the Guatemalan highlands there were some locals crouched around what looked like rocks onna blanket...I asked 'what are those rocks for?'...one of the dudes glowered at me and growled 'para las tortillas'...then I understood, I understood that without ground limestone you could never have corn tortillas...(tutsi's guatemalan/mexican cuisine epiphany)

nobody in SE Asia seems to unnerstand... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

why dont 5 of us rich boys open one up in siam square and collect all the profit from it, just think 1 store would kick ass in bangkok will soon be driving lambo's and Ferraries hahahahahahahah

Hamburger Mike just sold one of the best Mexican places in SEA - Miquel's Mexican - in Chiang Mai.

If you can get him to put the place together and train the cooks, you would probably do very well. :o

where did they get masa mix for corn tortillas? A reliable source for BKK mexican restaurants would improve the offering considerably...

I wish I knew. I do recall them having real problems with getting tortillas. it was the biggest issue pre-opening. I seem to recall that they were importing them already made from someplace, shipped in with dry ice. Shipping in the msa would be better. And the limestone is for the water, is it not? To make it the right pH for tortilla making?

I wish I knew. I do recall them having real problems with getting tortillas. it was the biggest issue pre-opening. I seem to recall that they were importing them already made from someplace, shipped in with dry ice. Shipping in the msa would be better. And the limestone is for the water, is it not? To make it the right pH for tortilla making?

limestone is like a binder...like breadcrumbs and eggs for meatloaf. I tried making tortillas from surplus commodity cornmeal alone once and they fell apart (mind, I was inna filthy crashpad in Eugene, Oregon in 1971 and on acid)...not sure that pH correction would be a requirement for the heat of preparation(?)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I would travel to BKK from Suphan if there was a Taco Bell...superb cuisine and splendid memories of the TB parking lot in Laguna Beach and events leading up to a bust for 3 joints in 1968. The cop said 'I hope you enjoyed the tacos pal 'cause yer looking at 1 to 5 for possesion...'

You wern't hanging with Tim Leary down there were you? :o

You wern't hanging with Tim Leary down there were you? :o

nah...just happened to be around after seeing Jimmy Reed at a bluesclub by the Huntington Beach pier...was living in Fullerton at the time. Things turned out for the best...a bunch of the high school teachers thought that it would be a shame if I had to go to the joint for hard time and petitioned the judge. Got the charge reduced and did 8 days in OC County during the easter holiday. They thought that my superior writing skills would be a terrible thing to waste...

good writing skills saved my ass more than once, let me tell ya...too bad I didn't turn out a Nobel laureate rather than the dumbass engineer that I presently am...

oh...me and GG Marques and 'ol Fidel enjoying glasses of Havana Club on the Malecon in Havana...