Taco Bell

cathyy

I would travel to BKK from Suphan if there was a Taco Bell...superb cuisine and splendid memories of the TB parking lot in Laguna Beach and events leading up to a bust for 3 joints in 1968. The cop said 'I hope you enjoyed the tacos pal 'cause yer looking at 1 to 5 for possesion...'

Ahhhh, Laguna Beach. What a nice place. Too bad it's in California! :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

limestone is like a binder...like breadcrumbs and eggs for meatloaf. I tried making tortillas from surplus commodity cornmeal alone once and they fell apart (mind, I was inna filthy crashpad in Eugene, Oregon in 1971 and on acid)...not sure that pH correction would be a requirement for the heat of preparation(?)

Actually, lime is not really an ingredient at all. It is a residue from the corn processing. At least that is how I understand it. Dried corn kernels are slow cooked in a water and slake lime (calcium hydroxide) solution which both changes the flavor and texture but also breaks down the nutrients so that they can be absorbed by the body. Once cooked the corn is rinsed and ground to make tortillas. I believe masa flour is just this mixture dried and milled into flour. If anyone is interested, I can provide a detailed recipe, all you need is dried corn and slaked lime (calcium hydroxide).

limestone is like a binder...like breadcrumbs and eggs for meatloaf. I tried making tortillas from surplus commodity cornmeal alone once and they fell apart (mind, I was inna filthy crashpad in Eugene, Oregon in 1971 and on acid)...not sure that pH correction would be a requirement for the heat of preparation(?)

Actually, lime is not really an ingredient at all. It is a residue from the corn processing. At least that is how I understand it. Dried corn kernels are slow cooked in a water and slake lime (calcium hydroxide) solution which both changes the flavor and texture but also breaks down the nutrients so that they can be absorbed by the body. Once cooked the corn is rinsed and ground to make tortillas. I believe masa flour is just this mixture dried and milled into flour. If anyone is interested, I can provide a detailed recipe, all you need is dried corn and slaked lime (calcium hydroxide).

from the process that you describe it appears that 'slake lime' is an ingredient that produces a residue...I can testify that cornmeal alone will not produce tortillas. Looks like masa is difernt from regular boiled maize (which alone has other culinary applications) by the addition of slake lime...interesting to know, I thought that they ground up the corn then tossed in the ground up lime and mixed them together like meatloaf

the complexity is amazing...how did pre-colombian civilization know about about this process given that tortilla like bread had been around for ages? them indians musta been upta sumpin' other than human sacrifice for the god of war...(huitxilopochli?)

(or tlaloc the rain god that looks like this :o )

sofistikated stuff...on the taco bell thread...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

The key to Mexican food is the humble tortilla and the key to the tortilla is the Masa.

Now let's get rully scientific and sofisto.

Taken from:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JA...80/ai_n16346454

THE CAUSTIC ACTION OF CALCIUM HYDROXIDE, or lime, is what separates masa from a lump of indigestible ground corn. To create lime, calcium carbonate (CaCO3), naturally occurring in limestone, coral, chalk and shellfish shells, is heated, a process that releases carbon dioxide and results in the formation of calcium oxide (CaO). In this form, lime can be heated to 4661 degrees Fahrenheit without melting. Until the widespread use of electric lights, theater technicians took advantage of calcium oxide's high melting point, heating it with a flame until it emitted a bright white light, which could be aimed at a stage--hence the term "limelight." We can only assume that extreme care was taken to keep the limelights perfectly dry, because when calcium oxide comes into contact with even the slightest amount of moisture, it rapidly heats, bubbles and releases a large amount of high-temperature steam. Lime in this form is referred to as unslaked lime, meaning that its fundamental thirst for moisture has not been satisfied, or slaked. Calcium hydroxide (CaH2O2), the form used to make masa, is calcium oxide which has been treated with water. After the aforementioned chemical reaction causes all the moisture in calcium oxide to evaporate, you're left with a powder known as slaked lime, or pickling lime.

Masa is made from dried field or dent corn, a variety with far less sugar than the sweet corn that graces the American table. Field corn has a very thick outer skin that must be chemically loosened and removed to make the kernels edible. When boiled with corn in a 5% solution for about 20 minutes, slaked lime loosens the indigestible skin surrounding each kernel. Later on, removing the skin will help create a relatively uniform, soft dough. Vitamin B-3, or niacin, is also unbound by this process, making it possible for the human body to absorb it. After the initial lime treatment, the mixture, known as nixtamal, is left overnight. Then the corn is drained and rinsed in fresh water, and the skins that float to the top are discarded. The resultant swollen kernels look identical to what is known in the American South as hominy; however, for masa, the nutrient-rich hulls are left intact, whereas hominy's preparation calls for their removal.

Traditionally, the nixtamal is ground on a metate, which looks like a miniature, low-slung coffee table made of volcanic rock, with a sloping depression in the center or off to one side. A grinding stone called a mano (literally, "hand") or metlapil, also made of volcanic rock, is used to crush the kernels against the metate's rough surface. The fineness of the grind depends on the intended use of the dough: masa that is intended for tortillas is finely ground, while masa for tamales is more coarsely ground. Of course, in modern kitchens and tortilla factories, mechanized grain mills and food processors have replaced the metate, but in the more isolated parts of Mexico, patting out perfectly round and flat tortillas by hand is still considered a valuable skill, one that is taught to young girls shortly after they are old enough to walk. Despite its seeming simplicity, the art of torear is perfected over the course of many years, and it is not easily picked up by even the most accomplished gringo chefs. For those who do not find themselves living in rural Mexico, tortilla presses, like grain mills, are inexpensive, widely available and easy to use.

Masa tastes and behaves best on the day it is made, but very few modern chefs have the space, time or expertise to make it properly. "Fresh masa is hands-down the best," wrote Rick Bayless in his 1996 book Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen (Scribner), "but it's close to impossible to make at home, it's an effort to find in most communities and it's easily perishable." Indeed, Chefs Aaron Sanchez and Richard Sandoval, who created a number of recipes using masa for this story, both reported with regret that making masa from scratch was simply not practical for their very busy restaurants. In most cases, the chefs instead use masa harina, dried and powdered masa that can be easily reconstituted with hot water. "I'll give you an idea how far masa in this country has come," says Sanchez. "It used to be that you could only get all-purpose masa, but now you can get all these different grinds--coarse for tamales, finer for tortillas," he explains. "I make every masa product in my restaurant every day. I love it. It's like a ritual to me."

Fascinating.

the complexity is amazing...how did pre-colombian civilization know about about this process given that tortilla like bread had been around for ages? them indians musta been upta sumpin' other than human sacrifice for the god of war

Feed them gods what they like and they will tell you anything. :o

The key to Mexican food is the humble tortilla and the key to the tortilla is the Masa.

Now let's get rully scientific and sofisto.

Taken from:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JA...80/ai_n16346454

THE CAUSTIC ACTION OF CALCIUM HYDROXIDE, or lime, is what separates masa from a lump of indigestible ground corn. To create lime, calcium carbonate (CaCO3), naturally occurring in limestone, coral, chalk and shellfish shells, is heated, a process that releases carbon dioxide and results in the formation of calcium oxide (CaO). In this form, lime can be heated to 4661 degrees Fahrenheit without melting. Until the widespread use of electric lights, theater technicians took advantage of calcium oxide's high melting point, heating it with a flame until it emitted a bright white light, which could be aimed at a stage--hence the term "limelight." We can only assume that extreme care was taken to keep the limelights perfectly dry, because when calcium oxide comes into contact with even the slightest amount of moisture, it rapidly heats, bubbles and releases a large amount of high-temperature steam. Lime in this form is referred to as unslaked lime, meaning that its fundamental thirst for moisture has not been satisfied, or slaked. Calcium hydroxide (CaH2O2), the form used to make masa, is calcium oxide which has been treated with water. After the aforementioned chemical reaction causes all the moisture in calcium oxide to evaporate, you're left with a powder known as slaked lime, or pickling lime.

Masa is made from dried field or dent corn, a variety with far less sugar than the sweet corn that graces the American table. Field corn has a very thick outer skin that must be chemically loosened and removed to make the kernels edible. When boiled with corn in a 5% solution for about 20 minutes, slaked lime loosens the indigestible skin surrounding each kernel. Later on, removing the skin will help create a relatively uniform, soft dough. Vitamin B-3, or niacin, is also unbound by this process, making it possible for the human body to absorb it. After the initial lime treatment, the mixture, known as nixtamal, is left overnight. Then the corn is drained and rinsed in fresh water, and the skins that float to the top are discarded. The resultant swollen kernels look identical to what is known in the American South as hominy; however, for masa, the nutrient-rich hulls are left intact, whereas hominy's preparation calls for their removal.

Traditionally, the nixtamal is ground on a metate, which looks like a miniature, low-slung coffee table made of volcanic rock, with a sloping depression in the center or off to one side. A grinding stone called a mano (literally, "hand") or metlapil, also made of volcanic rock, is used to crush the kernels against the metate's rough surface. The fineness of the grind depends on the intended use of the dough: masa that is intended for tortillas is finely ground, while masa for tamales is more coarsely ground. Of course, in modern kitchens and tortilla factories, mechanized grain mills and food processors have replaced the metate, but in the more isolated parts of Mexico, patting out perfectly round and flat tortillas by hand is still considered a valuable skill, one that is taught to young girls shortly after they are old enough to walk. Despite its seeming simplicity, the art of torear is perfected over the course of many years, and it is not easily picked up by even the most accomplished gringo chefs. For those who do not find themselves living in rural Mexico, tortilla presses, like grain mills, are inexpensive, widely available and easy to use.

Masa tastes and behaves best on the day it is made, but very few modern chefs have the space, time or expertise to make it properly. "Fresh masa is hands-down the best," wrote Rick Bayless in his 1996 book Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen (Scribner), "but it's close to impossible to make at home, it's an effort to find in most communities and it's easily perishable." Indeed, Chefs Aaron Sanchez and Richard Sandoval, who created a number of recipes using masa for this story, both reported with regret that making masa from scratch was simply not practical for their very busy restaurants. In most cases, the chefs instead use masa harina, dried and powdered masa that can be easily reconstituted with hot water. "I'll give you an idea how far masa in this country has come," says Sanchez. "It used to be that you could only get all-purpose masa, but now you can get all these different grinds--coarse for tamales, finer for tortillas," he explains. "I make every masa product in my restaurant every day. I love it. It's like a ritual to me."

Fascinating.

very interesting...I thought that regular cornmeal from boiled maize was used for tamales, not masa...

a nice tamale is not bad...when I was working in San Jose, CA there was a guy widda cart outside a liquor store sellin' home made tamales! For lunch I'd drive down, get me 3 or 4 and A COUPLE OF TALL BUDWEISERS and sit in the parking lot and feast..

only in California...yassuh

a nice tamale is not bad...when I was working in San Jose, CA there was a guy widda cart outside a liquor store sellin' home made tamales! For lunch I'd drive down, get me 3 or 4 and A COUPLE OF TALL BUDWEISERS and sit in the parking lot and feast..

Oh man, yer killin' me.

There is drool on my keyboard...

I spent some 16 or so years in the L.A. area and grew to LOVE mexican food.

A good Tamale is heavenly, steamy, fluffy, slightly spicy and redolent of that fresh corn.

I'm partial to cheese and chile and chicken but anything you wrap in that blanket of ymminess tastes great.

There was a place on Washington Blvd. in Mar Vista that had just about every type imaginable, even those sweet dessert Tamales. Grab a batch of those and a six pack and you could go anywhere with an amazing portable feast. There was also a really famous "factory" in Santa Monica (Some family name,... something brothers....) that had a small take out shack on the side of the manufacturing plant where you could go and get them fresh off the assembly line. :o

Ahhh.

I feel sorry for folks who think Mexican food is all like Taco Bell.

Carne Asada, Chile Colorado, Snapper Veracruz, Posoles, Gorditas, Enchiladas Suissa, Machacha and... gulp, Menudo!

Oh man, yer killin' me.

There is drool on my keyboard...

I spent some 16 or so years in the L.A. area and grew to LOVE mexican food.

A good Tamale is heavenly, steamy, fluffy, slightly spicy and redolent of that fresh corn.

I'm partial to cheese and chile and chicken but anything you wrap in that blanket of ymminess tastes great.

There was a place on Washington Blvd. in Mar Vista that had just about every type imaginable, even those sweet dessert Tamales. Grab a batch of those and a six pack and you could go anywhere with an amazing portable feast. There was also a really famous "factory" in Santa Monica (Some family name,... something brothers....) that had a small take out shack on the side of the manufacturing plant where you could go and get them fresh off the assembly line. :o

Ahhh.

I feel sorry for folks who think Mexican food is all like Taco Bell.

Carne Asada, Chile Colorado, Snapper Veracruz, Posoles, Gorditas, Enchiladas Suissa, Machacha and... gulp, Menudo!

menudo, that's what I was missin'...a dish of pig tripe and hominy soup, best hangover cure in the world, literally a plate of grease, hook it down an bob's yer uncle.

it's been nearly 30 years since I lived in Venice, Mar Vista just around the corner...never did see no good tamales there, plenty ob good places on Lincoln Blvd, my fav was on the corner of Ocean Park...carnitas tacos to die for...

it's been nearly 30 years since I lived in Venice, Mar Vista just around the corner...never did see no good tamales there, plenty ob good places on Lincoln Blvd, my fav was on the corner of Ocean Park...carnitas tacos to die for...

Been ten years or more since I lived in Venice myself but I remember the place. Corner of Lincoln and Ocean Park, Pancho's Tacos I think.

The best turkey burrito (believe it or not), soupy, slurpy shredded dark meat and stuffed to bursting. I would eat one and pass out in tryptophan induced bliss. Another place is Gilbert's El Indio east on O.P. a bit which has the most amazing enchiladas and some a55 kicking Margaritas to boot.

Man I miss REAL mexican food.

Me and my girl actually just whipped together some Taco Bell inspired tacos here in our Pattaya condo. (Thanks to McCormick, Danitas and Ole El Paso.)

Not too bad and she (even being from Issan) totally digs them, shredded cheddar cheese and all.

Go figure!

I would travel to BKK from Suphan if there was a Taco Bell...superb cuisine and splendid memories of the TB parking lot in Laguna Beach and events leading up to a bust for 3 joints in 1968. The cop said 'I hope you enjoyed the tacos pal 'cause yer looking at 1 to 5 for possesion...'

Ahhhh, Laguna Beach. What a nice place. Too bad it's in California! :o

The Taco Bell in Laguna Beach is where Timothy Leary got busted (arrested to my Aussie friends) as well

Been ten years or more since I lived in Venice myself but I remember the place. Corner of Lincoln and Ocean Park, Pancho's Tacos I think.

The best turkey burrito (believe it or not), soupy, slurpy shredded dark meat and stuffed to bursting. I would eat one and pass out in tryptophan induced bliss. Another place is Gilbert's El Indio east on O.P. a bit which has the most amazing enchiladas and some a55 kicking Margaritas to boot.

Man I miss REAL mexican food.

Me and my girl actually just whipped together some Taco Bell inspired tacos here in our Pattaya condo. (Thanks to McCormick, Danitas and Ole El Paso.)

Not too bad and she (even being from Issan) totally digs them, shredded cheddar cheese and all.

Go figure!

that's it! that's it! Pancho's tacos...sublime they were...head east down west Pico for the full whack...

I've been tryin' to get the wife innerested in mexican food but you can't get the real goods here...the best that BKK has to offer is at Senor Pico's at the Rembrandt Hotel and it ain't worth a shit by LA standards...

that's it! that's it! Pancho's tacos...sublime they were...head east down west Pico for the full whack...

I've been tryin' to get the wife innerested in mexican food but you can't get the real goods here...the best that BKK has to offer is at Senor Pico's at the Rembrandt Hotel and it ain't worth a shit by LA standards...

Is it just us Americans who go into tortilla withdrawl or do our European cousins enjoy Mexican food as well? Just wondering how big I need to build my Thailand torilla factory. :o

Is it just us Americans who go into tortilla withdrawl or do our European cousins enjoy Mexican food as well? Just wondering how big I need to build my Thailand torilla factory. :o

when I first shipped out to London I took a tortilla press and a 5lb bag of masa mix...them limeys couldn't get enough when I was churnin' dem out...the only authentic mex food that they could ever imagine...

There was a place on Washington Blvd. in Mar Vista that had just about every type imaginable, even those sweet dessert Tamales.

Was that Tito's Taco's? I have eaten there a few times. Home of the Ultimate Greasy Food. It was on Washington not far from Culver City.

Was that Tito's Taco's? I have eaten there a few times. Home of the Ultimate Greasy Food. It was on Washington not far from Culver City.
No, I think this place was called "Tamara's Tamales". A real tiny hole in the wall kind of joint.

Now Tito's... Zowee! That's the shizizzle!

What Taco Bell ought to emulate.

I remember going there at lunch time and the line for the order counter going out the front door and down the block. Near the 10 (?)Freeway overpass.

Those tacos must have had crack in them cause once you ate one you were hooked.

Is it just us Americans who go into tortilla withdrawl or do our European cousins enjoy Mexican food as well? Just wondering how big I need to build my Thailand torilla factory!

I think you are onto something. My pal came back from the states with jars of mexican Jalapenos and stacks of fresh corn tortillas which he promptly threw in the freezer.

He talked about the potential for a good business in either import or production of tortillas as a restaurant supplier here in LOS.

It would appear there are a great many Mexican restaurants here in Pattaya and throughout the kingdom (none of which meet the mark) and he is thinking about possibly starting up the de facto "East LA" branded Mexican food place.

######! My mouth is watering, Again!

Is it just us Americans who go into tortilla withdrawl or do our European cousins enjoy Mexican food as well? Just wondering how big I need to build my Thailand torilla factory!

I think you are onto something. My pal came back from the states with jars of mexican Jalapenos and stacks of fresh corn tortillas which he promptly threw in the freezer.

I am flying in wednesday. I would offer to bring some tortillas for you guys but I am already loaded down with Christmas candy. :o

I am flying in wednesday. I would offer to bring some tortillas for you guys but I am already loaded down with Christmas candy. :o

you fool...chuck the candy an' bring the tortillas...there are falangs here who would kill to get a fix...

you fool...chuck the candy an' bring the tortillas...there are falangs here who would kill to get a fix...

LOL

I don't know who's face would light up more, farangs seeing tortillas or the neighborhood kids when I pass out the candy.

I pay about 10 baht per 10oz package here. Where will the bidding start? :o

LOL

I don't know who's face would light up more, farangs seeing tortillas or the neighborhood kids when I pass out the candy.

if you have the goods the muzzle end ob my sawed off will be all ye need to know....

(let's have a poll - is tutsi a homicidal maniac when it come to tortillas?- )

LOL

if you have the goods the muzzle end ob my sawed off will be all ye need to know....

(let's have a poll - is tutsi a homicidal maniac when it come to tortillas?- )

Ha! You could never pull the trigger with me holding the tortillas between me and the muzzle. :D Everybody thank Tutsi, the price of tortillas must now go up to cover the cost of tortilla guards at my new factory.

Since I am living in the U.S., I can get them. I might be willing to send a box over to someone for a price! :o

HEY!!!!!! No cutting into my tortilla monopoly or I will have to bring tutsi's shotgun by and have a little chat with you.

There's hope. KFC is KFC, McDonald's is McDonald's, Burger King is Burger King. A Taco Bell could indeed be a real Taco Bell in Thailand. Pizza Hut seems to be the exception, not the rule.

FWIW, I finally gave up on that miserable excuse for pizza and made my own the other night. Lesson 1: When you use the turntable of your convection oven for the pizza pan and have it sitting on the oven rack instead of the oven rack sitting on the turntable the pizza cooks very unevenly. I need to buy a pizza pan to sit on the rack and be rotated. Other than that, it turned out well. I made the dough in my bread machine and used a precious can of tomato sauce from BKK for the sauce. Next time, I'll add some garlic powder and oregano and basil to the dough.

Interestingly I believe that TB (that's Taco Bell, not tuberculosis!) could work and taste the same here in LOS as it is one of the most carefully designed and implemented food "factories" in the fast food biz.

The beans are dehydrated. The tortillas and taco shells are all pre-made and vacuum sealed.

The ground taco meat (and this is a real stroke of genius) is pre-cooked, encased in big blocks of lard and vacuum packed, requiring no refrigeration during shipping and storage (no oxidization of the meat).

To free the meat from it's pork fat casing, heat it up for serving and replenish the deep-fat fryers cooking fat all in one fell swoop the employee simply immerses the block of lard in the deep fat fryer's hot grease for several minutes and voila!

Fresh fat for frying, hot meat for eating and no muss or fuss.

The only part of the process requiring refrigeration is the cheese, fresh lettuce, onion, tomato etc which could all be sourced locally.

I think this could be a winner.

I'm putting in a call to Pepsi-Co corporate to find out about franchise opportunities.

If Pizza Hut and KFC can stay afloat I think TB could be a real earner.

Plus the opportunity exists to customize the menu to Thai tastes.

Bean, Nam Prihk and cheese burrito?

:o

My husband has been here a few months now...apparently just long enough to develop massive Taco Bell cravings. Please don't think we confuse Taco Bell with Mexican cooking. We can get Mexican cooking here. We can't supply him with a Taco Bell fix, though.

Taco Bell is owned by the same corporate conglomerate as Pizza Hut and KFC, two of the most broadly available chains in Thailand. So why can't they open a Taco Bell here anywhere? Believe me, my husband would travel to Bangkok for it.

My wife and I have just opened a Mexican Retaurant/Sandwhich shop out in the Bangbon section of Bangkok (out near the mall bankae).

Here's a copy of the Mexican portion of the menu

BonitaMenu2.jpg

and a map for those of you not familiar with this area.

Thonburi.jpg

from the process that you describe it appears that 'slake lime' is an ingredient that produces a residue...I can testify that cornmeal alone will not produce tortillas. Looks like masa is difernt from regular boiled maize (which alone has other culinary applications) by the addition of slake lime...interesting to know, I thought that they ground up the corn then tossed in the ground up lime and mixed them together like meatloaf

the complexity is amazing...how did pre-colombian civilization know about about this process given that tortilla like bread had been around for ages? them indians musta been upta sumpin' other than human sacrifice for the god of war...(huitxilopochli?)

JR Texas to Tutsiwarrior: Hi......just trying to figure out how to make tamales and need to figure out how to make masa with the ingredients that are available in Thailand. Lots of corn but where is the slake lime? Can you get it in Thailand?

I am thinking about growing ancho/pablano/jalapeno peppers at my home in Thailand. Then, I am thinking about opening a small kiosk type of place that sells tamales, chili rellenos, and soft tacos.

I know how to do it, but masa has always stopped me along with getting the proper peppers. I think I will just have to do it myself.

JR Texas to Tutsiwarrior: Hi......just trying to figure out how to make tamales and need to figure out how to make masa with the ingredients that are available in Thailand. Lots of corn but where is the slake lime? Can you get it in Thailand?

I am thinking about growing ancho/pablano/jalapeno peppers at my home in Thailand. Then, I am thinking about opening a small kiosk type of place that sells tamales, chili rellenos, and soft tacos.

I know how to do it, but masa has always stopped me along with getting the proper peppers. I think I will just have to do it myself.

I think that slake lime is the missing link...if it was available locally I sure some enterprising individual would've set up a masa mix/tortilleria factory by now given the demand by falangs and restaurants for the real goods...

just think/dream, fresh corn tortillas still warm at yer local 7/11...move over, hot dogs and tell the new 7/11 tacos the news

Edited by tutsiwarrior