Taco Bell

cathyy

limestone is like a binder...like breadcrumbs and eggs for meatloaf. I tried making tortillas from surplus commodity cornmeal alone once and they fell apart (mind, I was inna filthy crashpad in Eugene, Oregon in 1971 and on acid)...not sure that pH correction would be a requirement for the heat of preparation(?)

Actually, lime is not really an ingredient at all. It is a residue from the corn processing. At least that is how I understand it. Dried corn kernels are slow cooked in a water and slake lime (calcium hydroxide) solution which both changes the flavor and texture but also breaks down the nutrients so that they can be absorbed by the body. Once cooked the corn is rinsed and ground to make tortillas. I believe masa flour is just this mixture dried and milled into flour. If anyone is interested, I can provide a detailed recipe, all you need is dried corn and slaked lime (calcium hydroxide).

from the process that you describe it appears that 'slake lime' is an ingredient that produces a residue...I can testify that cornmeal alone will not produce tortillas. Looks like masa is difernt from regular boiled maize (which alone has other culinary applications) by the addition of slake lime...interesting to know, I thought that they ground up the corn then tossed in the ground up lime and mixed them together like meatloaf

the complexity is amazing...how did pre-colombian civilization know about about this process given that tortilla like bread had been around for ages? them indians musta been upta sumpin' other than human sacrifice for the god of war...(huitxilopochli?)

(or tlaloc the rain god that looks like this :o )

sofistikated stuff...on the taco bell thread...

JR Texas to Tutsiwarrior: Hi......just trying to figure out how to make tamales and need to figure out how to make masa with the ingredients that are available in Thailand. Lots of corn but where is the slake lime? Can you get it in Thailand?

I am thinking about growing ancho/pablano/jalapeno peppers at my home in Thailand. Then, I am thinking about opening a small kiosk type of place that sells tamales, chili rellenos, and soft tacos.

I know how to do it, but masa has always stopped me along with getting the proper peppers. I think I will just have to do it myself.

I think that slake lime is the missing link...if it was available locally I sure some enterprising individual would've set up a masa mix/tortilleria factory by now given the demand by falangs and restaurants for the real goods...

just think/dream, fresh corn tortillas still warm at yer local 7/11...move over, hot dogs and tell the new 7/11 tacos the news

JR Texas to Tutsiwarror: I am going to try it. You only need a small amount of slake lime.........lots of corn in Thailand (yellow or white does not matter that much). I have land to grow the peppers (but since it is a great idea the govt. will probably find a way to stop me).

IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME.........IF YOU MAKE TAMALES, THEY WILL COME.........HUMMMMMMMM$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ THE BIG TAMALE :D

I like my tamales beer-can size with a meat chili sauce on top and some cheese. Sound good?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

limestone is like a binder...like breadcrumbs and eggs for meatloaf. I tried making tortillas from surplus commodity cornmeal alone once and they fell apart (mind, I was inna filthy crashpad in Eugene, Oregon in 1971 and on acid)...not sure that pH correction would be a requirement for the heat of preparation(?)

Actually, lime is not really an ingredient at all. It is a residue from the corn processing. At least that is how I understand it. Dried corn kernels are slow cooked in a water and slake lime (calcium hydroxide) solution which both changes the flavor and texture but also breaks down the nutrients so that they can be absorbed by the body. Once cooked the corn is rinsed and ground to make tortillas. I believe masa flour is just this mixture dried and milled into flour. If anyone is interested, I can provide a detailed recipe, all you need is dried corn and slaked lime (calcium hydroxide).

from the process that you describe it appears that 'slake lime' is an ingredient that produces a residue...I can testify that cornmeal alone will not produce tortillas. Looks like masa is difernt from regular boiled maize (which alone has other culinary applications) by the addition of slake lime...interesting to know, I thought that they ground up the corn then tossed in the ground up lime and mixed them together like meatloaf

the complexity is amazing...how did pre-colombian civilization know about about this process given that tortilla like bread had been around for ages? them indians musta been upta sumpin' other than human sacrifice for the god of war...(huitxilopochli?)

(or tlaloc the rain god that looks like this :o )

sofistikated stuff...on the taco bell thread...

JR Texas to Tutsiwarrior: Hi......just trying to figure out how to make tamales and need to figure out how to make masa with the ingredients that are available in Thailand. Lots of corn but where is the slake lime? Can you get it in Thailand?

I am thinking about growing ancho/pablano/jalapeno peppers at my home in Thailand. Then, I am thinking about opening a small kiosk type of place that sells tamales, chili rellenos, and soft tacos.

I know how to do it, but masa has always stopped me along with getting the proper peppers. I think I will just have to do it myself.

I think that slake lime is the missing link...if it was available locally I sure some enterprising individual would've set up a masa mix/tortilleria factory by now given the demand by falangs and restaurants for the real goods...

just think/dream, fresh corn tortillas still warm at yer local 7/11...move over, hot dogs and tell the new 7/11 tacos the news

JR Texas to Tutsiwarror: I am going to try it. You only need a small amount of slake lime.........lots of corn in Thailand (yellow or white does not matter that much). I have land to grow the peppers (but since it is a great idea the govt. will probably find a way to stop me).

IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME.........IF YOU MAKE TAMALES, THEY WILL COME.........HUMMMMMMMM$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ THE BIG TAMALE :D

I like my tamales beer-can size with a meat chili sauce on top and some cheese. Sound good?

might be better to get yer hands on some masa mix...if you look at a previous post the slaked lime is a residue from the corn processing and might make preparing masa mix yerself a bit tricky...

if yer from texas 5lb bags of masa mix should be available everywhere...get yer friends and relatives that come to visit to stuff a few bags into their luggage or have them DHL a 100lb crate then experiment a bit an' see what you come up with...if successful then get a container in texas an' fill it with 100lb sacks and ship it over. Tell the customs people that it is special nutrient to feed yer chickens with...

thai customs official: 'and what do we have here?', JR Texas: 'special chicken feed, whole container load worth about $50'...customs official to another customs official 'mai oh mai...dem falangs sure is clazy...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior