What healthy meals could I cook with one of these? (photo)

simon43

I'm working in Myanmar for the long term. My school pays for me to stay at a hotel (the local military here in Naypyidaw will not allow me to rent a house/condo).

My hotel room is OK, but there are no cooking facilities.

As part of my ongoing diet, I prepare a healthy salad for lunch at school ==> lettuce, red cabbage, green peppers, mint leaves, cucumber, tomato, sunflower seeds, a few mixed nuts, with a probiotic natural yogurt poured over the top.  This tastes very nice.

But eating the same salad on a daily basis for the next 5 years might be a little boring.  The supermarket stocks a wide range of fresh vegetables and uncooked meats, (but zero brown rice, brown/black breads).

The choice of kitchen equipment that I could use in my hotel room is very limited, but I found this item in the local shop.

This is a 3 in 1 device, with a small toaster oven, a fresh coffee maker/warmer, and a teflon hot plate.

The spec is:

Morries 3 in 1 Breakfast Maker

5.0L electronic oven toaster

15-minutes timer

Three heating selector

4-6 cups high quick boil roast coffee maker with glass carafe

Keep warm function

Unique anti-drip function

Teflon coated frying plate

Power: 220V 240V 1150W 50Hz

My cooking skills are abysmal, but I'm keen to learn.

Any suggestions what sort of one-person, healthy meals I could cook with this little machine?

LHP5_e.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These things are awesome, especially the mini oven. If you want healthy, roast vegetables or buy frozen ready-to-eat meals that look healthy.

If you want yummy, you can make some nice pizza baguettes in there.

I love to use these instead of a microwave as microwaving somehow destroys the nutrients... merely heating (not burning!) mostly doesn't.

Pre made meals aren't healthy. Make roasted vegetables, pastas with mushrooms and veg, grilled chicken breast, grilled fish, stir fried rice with veg, Thai style soups, lasagne, baked potatoes with fillings, mini pizzas, the oven is also great for bacon, grilled pork ribs in a Korean marinade and baked apples.

55 minutes ago, wump said:

These things are awesome, especially the mini oven. If you want healthy, roast vegetables or buy frozen ready-to-eat meals that look healthy.

If you want yummy, you can make some nice pizza baguettes in there.

I love to use these instead of a microwave as microwaving somehow destroys the nutrients... merely heating (not burning!) mostly doesn't.

All heating (cooking) of food destroys nutrients.

Ready to eat meals are inherently less healthy, as is all re-heated food, because they have already been cooked once (losing some nutritional value in the process).

Microwave oven - Wikipedia

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/microwaves-and-nutrition/

But for sure re-heating something to 70C with normal heat is a lot healthier than having a microwave oven with its microwaves thawing the stuff with their huge power, pushing it past 100C and destroying a lot of nutrients?

Reheat a slice of pizza with a microwave oven and a grill and see the difference. Same goes for eating cooled-down food after its been microwaved... inedible.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm working in Myanmar for the long term. My school pays for me to stay at a hotel (the local military here in Naypyidaw will not allow me to rent a house/condo).

My hotel room is OK, but there are no cooking facilities.

As part of my ongoing diet, I prepare a healthy salad for lunch at school ==> lettuce, red cabbage, green peppers, mint leaves, cucumber, tomato, sunflower seeds, a few mixed nuts, with a probiotic natural yogurt poured over the top.  This tastes very nice.

But eating the same salad on a daily basis for the next 5 years might be a little boring.  The supermarket stocks a wide range of fresh vegetables and uncooked meats, (but zero brown rice, brown/black breads).

The choice of kitchen equipment that I could use in my hotel room is very limited, but I found this item in the local shop.

This is a 3 in 1 device, with a small toaster oven, a fresh coffee maker/warmer, and a teflon hot plate.

The spec is:

Morries 3 in 1 Breakfast Maker

5.0L electronic oven toaster

15-minutes timer

Three heating selector

4-6 cups high quick boil roast coffee maker with glass carafe

Keep warm function

Unique anti-drip function

Teflon coated frying plate

Power: 220V 240V 1150W 50Hz

My cooking skills are abysmal, but I'm keen to learn.

Any suggestions what sort of one-person, healthy meals I could cook with this little machine?

LHP5_e.jpg

Get a slow cooker/croc pot, you can make just about anything in it. Loads of recipes on the internet...........

Instead of asking what you can cook, it might be easier stating what you like to eat ?

I like to eat chocolate, ice-cream, pizza, beer... (well, you asked...)

But what I mainly eat is fresh fruit, raw green vegetables (lettuce, cucumber, green pepper), tomato, red cabbage, cooked chicken slices, natural yogurt, nuts.

I will be honest and say that although this diet is tediously boring, I have never felt healthier in all my life!

So with a little machine like this, I could cook vegetable omelettes on the hot plate, perhaps roast lean chicken with vegs, cook vegs such as broccoli, cauliflower etc. I need to experiment.

What about the coffee maker?  Can one use it for something other than making coffee?

Given the diet, I would treat yourself to a steamer. Cheap and easy to get, you can steam fish or Chicken with vegetables , 20 minutes on the timer and the meal is done ! Highly nutritious simple and very healthy.

MIN_65217_PKA.jpg

Unlrss you like Coffee you could use  that part of your set-up purely for hot water and infuse herbal tea, healthy and cleansing.

I think you're better off buying a separate regular electric wok, coffee maker and oven.... maybe even a microwave... that little set up you posted looks too restrictive ..... plus if it breaks you lose all your cooking stuff in one go !!!

Given the diet, I would treat yourself to a steamer

Yes, I thought about a steamer, maybe more useful as you say.

I can't buy one in Naypyidaw (I've hunted for one with no success).  I'll add it to my Bangkok shopping list....

Maybe buy a steamer and a small, standalone toaster oven for grilled chicken and veg etc.

Some posters suggest a rice cooker.  But why would I want to cook rice?  It is a definite no-no to eat rice on a healthy diet, (certainly white rice is a no-no and I cannot get brown rice in this town).

The chocolate cake in a rice cooker is maybe not a good idea for someone trying to lose fat :)

I live in a room with no cooking facilities too!  They hotel provides an electric kettle and I do boil a dozen eggs so that my salads can get some protein and fat into them.  I find eggs over here much healthier than in the states and more likely not to be from a factory farm.   Some years ago I sent my niece a book on making over 200 meals with a rice cooker but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the book.  I would not try baking or frying in a small room.  The odor!  The possibility of a fire!  Clean-up?  It doesn't sound like a good idea.

You could buy a blender or a nutribullit and prepare protein shakes and juices. Maybe you could grill some eggplant or cheese on toast etc all healthy. Protein is a must ie some animal protein 2-3 times a week, I opt for chicken drumsticks. Soft boiled eggs are a great source of protein and vitamins. You could hard boil some to go with your salads. You also must consume some good fats for a complete healthy diet, Avacado and coconut flesh are the best. Fish is good but hard to get so I have sardines 2-3 times a week. 

Thanks for all the good advice.

The more I investigate my cooking options, the more I discover cooking appliances that I didn't know existed!

Seems to me that I could cover all my options by buying a multi-cooker, especially for cooking some lean chicken to get my proteins.  (The only source of lean chicken that I have found are the ready-cooked CP chicken slices and a weekly chicken in tamarind sauce at the local Thai restaurant.

On my return from Bangkok, I'm going to buy a motorbike to allow me to travel further afield and also to visit some local Myanmar markets outside the town - it maybe possible to buy brown rice there.

BTW, I checked out the price of a brand new 125cc motorbike (Chinese make).  I can buy it for the pricely sum of 13,000 baht!!  (I just had the pedals on my bicycle changed and the tyres pumped up for 50 baht, including all parts and labour).

3 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I live in a room with no cooking facilities too!  They hotel provides an electric kettle and I do boil a dozen eggs so that my salads can get some protein and fat into them.  I find eggs over here much healthier than in the states and more likely not to be from a factory farm.   Some years ago I sent my niece a book on making over 200 meals with a rice cooker but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the book.  I would not try baking or frying in a small room.  The odor!  The possibility of a fire!  Clean-up?  It doesn't sound like a good idea.

Spaghetti sauce with pasta, BBQ chicken, soups, stews all in rice

cooker easy to clean. Soak filled with soap water, discard in toilet

Google rice cooker cooking. You can make great brown rice too

If you're lazy and just want awesome tasting food, go with the airfryer option mentioned earlier. I have the Actifry and it works a treat. Can basically cook anything in there and don't have to watch it. Throw in the food, switch it on and it shuts down by itself after 20 mins or so.

OP writes:

"Some posters suggest a rice cooker.  But why would I want to cook rice?  It is a definite no-no to eat rice on a healthy diet, (certainly white rice is a no-no and I cannot get brown rice in this town)."

But you can cook quinoa in a rice cooker. One of the healthiest meals -if available where u are!

Archived