What healthy meals could I cook with one of these? (photo)

simon43

But you can cook quinoa in a rice cooker. One of the healthiest meals -if available where u are!

I have yet to find quinoa here.  Think 7/11 minimart plus fresh veg and local spices, and that'll give you an idea of what food is available at my location :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would be much better off with stuff you don't need to cook. Since you opt for a healthy diet why cook unless you really need to. Raw is far superior to cooked. Fresh vegetables fresh fruits oats or any kind of oatmeal that contains no other ingredients such as sugar etc.

Nuts seeds sprouts canned fish etc and then cook only what you really need to. Such as eggs. 

You could find a GF, which would solved you problem with accomodation and cooking too. :) 

LoL, it would solve neither problem!  First, the military do not let me rent a house/condo or live with a local citizen (Naypyidaw is a military town).  Secondly, based on my previous years of living in Yangon, most Myanmar food is based on white rice, pig's <deleted>/intestines and oil, lots of cooking oil.

@A1str8, right now I'm eating raw veg, fresh fruit, muesli, nuts, canned fish etc.  The desire to get some sort of cooking equipment was simply to provide me with meal alternatives, to avoid boredom with my food.  I only eat eggs at the weekend when I get the hotel to  cook me a veg omelette.

One thing that I can say about my diet.  It is a universe away from my previous diet of beer and packaged food, and my body also feels a 'universe' more healthy :)

I live in a similar situation and also wanted to be smart about what equipment i bought as space is limited and i dont really want 3 different machines.

I did look at that "breakfast" machine also. There are a few of them on lazada.

In my previous condo i also made the mistake of buying a simple induction hotplate which came with a stainless pot. This was terrible as everything stuck to it like hell. Partly because induction cooking tends to be easier to burn and stick stuff but also because it was crappy stainless. Other non stick pans i bought for it didn't work. They have to be compatible.

I do remember during this time I had a friend that had a simple unit that consisted of a electric non stick grill and hotplate and a pot you can put on it. It worked well.

So I bought one for my current place and it sits on the balcony. 

For toast I prespread the toast and just grill it on the unspread side. Its only toasted on 1 side but the butter melts and i find it works well.

For water I use a seperate kettle but it works on a pot on the grill to.

Can cook rice, spaghetti etc. Theres a lot of options and freedom. Only thing is I bought a aluminium pot (it already has a stainless included but its not very big for 2 people) and it works but doesnt conduct heat as well as stainless.

More than I thonk you get with the breakfast machine. That little hotplate on top looks good for not much more than a couple of fried eggs. Oven looks only good for a bit of toast. And the jug might be great for people that like american style coffee but thats it.

Another thing good for condo living is the rollie eggmakers. The things that make an egg sausage. But with the otto grill don't really need it either.

I would recommend the otto thing. I will attach picture.

I actually make a lot of sushi and use the otto to cook the rice. There is a bit of a trick to the rice though. Sushi is a good one and fun to make.

images.jpg

On 25/03/2017 at 6:26 PM, simon43 said:

Yes, I thought about a steamer, maybe more useful as you say.

I can't buy one in Naypyidaw (I've hunted for one with no success).  I'll add it to my Bangkok shopping list....

Maybe buy a steamer and a small, standalone toaster oven for grilled chicken and veg etc.

Try lazada if possible to receive a parcel 

Try lazada if possible to receive a parcel 

LoL, my new hot plate would be in the kitchen of the Myanmar post office staff in an instant!

I have a list of items that I'm going to buy off Lazada and get delivered to my hotel in BKK when I'm there next week.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

LoL, my new hot plate would be in the kitchen of the Myanmar post office staff in an instant!

I have a list of items that I'm going to buy off Lazada and get delivered to my hotel in BKK when I'm there next week.

Yeh I thought as much haha 

simon, i was going to pM you regarding your situation in myanmar - but it sounds ghastly!

why on earth wont they let you rent or share a house?

im going through a not dis-similar 'detox' myself and find that the healthier i eat, the less i spend & the happier i feel all round.

be careful of the motorbike leading you into using your bicycle less. the easier you make life, the easier it is to slip back into past habits.

Best of luck!!

(cant you swap hotels to one with a kitchen or kitchenette? five yrs without one is going to wear thin pretty quick!

the locals cant think thats a reasonable way for a teacher to live, can they??

On 3/27/2017 at 8:06 PM, simon43 said:

Just as Cambodia post office staff steal in Myanmar ?

On 3/27/2017 at 6:17 AM, simon43 said:

LoL, it would solve neither problem!  First, the military do not let me rent a house/condo or live with a local citizen (Naypyidaw is a military town).  Secondly, based on my previous years of living in Yangon, most Myanmar food is based on white rice, pig's <deleted>/intestines and oil, lots of cooking oil.

@A1str8, right now I'm eating raw veg, fresh fruit, muesli, nuts, canned fish etc.  The desire to get some sort of cooking equipment was simply to provide me with meal alternatives, to avoid boredom with my food.  I only eat eggs at the weekend when I get the hotel to  cook me a veg omelette.

One thing that I can say about my diet.  It is a universe away from my previous diet of beer and packaged food, and my body also feels a 'universe' more healthy :)

Why living in hell ? You have money but still like to face this kind of shiiite life ?

On 3/26/2017 at 3:44 PM, wump said:

If you're lazy and just want awesome tasting food, go with the airfryer option mentioned earlier. I have the Actifry and it works a treat. Can basically cook anything in there and don't have to watch it. Throw in the food, switch it on and it shuts down by itself after 20 mins or so.

This is the only smart solution but it seems that many still don't understand, Let alone Thai :-)

On 3/25/2017 at 6:17 PM, CharlieH said:

Given the diet, I would treat yourself to a steamer. Cheap and easy to get, you can steam fish or Chicken with vegetables , 20 minutes on the timer and the meal is done ! Highly nutritious simple and very healthy.

MIN_65217_PKA.jpg

Unlrss you like Coffee you could use  that part of your set-up purely for hot water and infuse herbal tea, healthy and cleansing.

Steamer is the way to go, I never regret I bought one .  You can steam potatoes in 30 minutes , chicken breast in 15 minutes, different veggies in a few minutes.   Just add some sauce and you have a complete meal ready to eat within an hour..

why on earth wont they let you rent or share a house?

Slightly off-topic, but please remember that Myanmar may have a new civilian government, but that government has no authority over the police and military.  So in non-tourist areas, foreigners are very restricted in where they can go and what they can do.  (I have worked in Myanmar since 2012 and been visiting since 2002, so I am very used to this situation). It is fairly normal to be monitored and followed in these areas - nothing unusual about that.

Why living in hell ? You have money but still like to face this kind of shiiite life ?

I don't agree with your comment :)  I have always chosen to work in Myanmar because I like the country and people very much.  I have a very happy and contented lifestyle with absolutely zero stress.

I chose to work in Naypyidaw and have just renewed my contract for another year, (with another pay rise).  It is a very pleasant and safe place to work and live and cycle.

I cannot change my hotel (which BTW, is a very acceptable room and service for me). I don't like getting cluttered up with a range of cooking equipments, so am trying to decide on a single piece of equipment.

In any case, I don't really need extensive cooking facilities.  There are several Thai restaurants nearby and it is possible to choose salads, lean chicken meals etc if I'm bored with my own food preparation!

I agree with the comment that a motorcycle might be a temptation for me not to cycle to work.  I will have to have good self control, because I really want the motorcycle to travel out to visit some of the nearby countryside and amber mines, (assuming I can get through the police/military check on the roads points LoL). If that happens, then I will have to use contacts to get a travel pass....

What about the uniform men there, are they as bad as in Rambo 4 ?

I think that you do not tell it, but the pressure from the army and police is everywhere. I'm impressed that an old man like you can accept this jail term.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

This is totally off-topic and you surely must be joking.

... and don't call me old

Sorry no offense, but I don't think that I will live this way when I will be 50. Especially when having money.

Sorry no offense, but I don't think that I will live this way when I will be 50. Especially when having money.

Well, I'm almost 60, not 50.

But I will put into context (mainly a health & fitness context) why I'm working in Myanmar, and specifically Naypyidaw:

- Clean air is clean - no factory pollution.

-  Very few cars - no exhaust fumes, roads are safe

- Many cycle paths adjacent to the main roads

- Open areas, parks, lakes - with cycle paths

- Availability of cheap, well-equipped gyms and swimming pools

- Availability of fresh fruit and vegetables

- Lack of 'nightlife' and fast food outlets means that I'm not tempted to drink alcohol or eat junk food

- Friendly locals

- Safe environment

- Lastly, I have a well-paid and enjoyable job, with great work colleagues and wonderful students

One of the disadvantages (nowhere is perfect), is the lack of availability of certain healthy foods, such as brown rice, quinola, and the lack of choice of cooking equipment.  I'm in Bangkok right now on holiday, and stocking up on items that I cannot easily source in Myanmar.

NPD.jpg

On 3/25/2017 at 4:23 PM, wump said:

These things are awesome, especially the mini oven. If you want healthy, roast vegetables or buy frozen ready-to-eat meals that look healthy.

If you want yummy, you can make some nice pizza baguettes in there.

I love to use these instead of a microwave as microwaving somehow destroys the nutrients... merely heating (not burning!) mostly doesn't.

That's a myth. A microwave doesn't destroy any more nutrients than other cooking methods. It destroys less than boiling. Get up to date - there's a lot of information on this to replace the old "Russians banned microwaves because.... " nonsense proliferating on the Internet. The Russians never banned microwaves and that alone should prompt some reevaluation of the topic.

BTW, some vegetables release more nutrients when cooked, such as broccoli and carrots.

I would definitely buy a microwave if I was in Simon's situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  I was weighed down with luggage on my return trip from BKK.  So I didn't buy any of the wonderful kitchen appliances that have been mentioned in this thread.

But I did buy an egg roller!

eggroller.jpg.60f9bcc61ab15c671e1849221dc928a8.jpg

This simple device allows me to easily cook eggs (in the style of a rolled-up omelette), which I can then slice up and spread on my salads.

However, I have to say that this device also probably serves a dual function as some sort of sex device.  You'll get the idea from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRGZMg4GWtg

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Update:  I was weighed down with luggage on my return trip from BKK.  So I didn't buy any of the wonderful kitchen appliances that have been mentioned in this thread.

But I did buy an egg roller!

eggroller.jpg.60f9bcc61ab15c671e1849221dc928a8.jpg

This simple device allows me to easily cook eggs (in the style of a rolled-up omelette), which I can then slice up and spread on my salads.

However, I have to say that this device also probably serves a dual function as some sort of sex device.  You'll get the idea from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRGZMg4GWtg

I mentioned it... this thing also cooks sausages

• 6 months later...

I am a terrible cook, which is actually quite helpful for a diet... what I use is a non-stick wok and a little olive oil. Then I buy whatever veggies are available fresh and chop them into fine pieces and do a mixed stir fry... some onion helps to make it a bit sweeter and more flavorful... 

Just be advised if you do things like stir frying or other hot plate type cooking you may get complaints about the smells from other stayers in the hotel.

Almost no-one stays at this hotel except me!  Naypyidaw is full of hotels with no guests.  I have no idea how they make any money (well they don't - some sort of loss-leader or money-laundering...).

Next April I will be able to move into a rented house because another teacher is leaving.  That house has a kitchen with the usual cooking facilities.  So my options will be much improved.  (I have stuck with my fresh veg, fruit, nuts, oily fish and kefir milk diet for a year now, - feel and look healthy).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 April 2017 at 12:05 AM, amjamj said:

When you are 50 you might realise what money can't buy or isn't needed to buy. Happiness and health can be had without a wallet full of cash.

39 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

When you are 50 you might realise what money can't buy or isn't needed to buy. Happiness and health can be had without a wallet full of cash.

I disagree. It's hard to be happy and healthy without a thick wallet. You can do your best with a thin wallet, but it's not easy. I'm nearly 60, and rules still apply. Without money, you're screwed.

Archived