BANGKOK 22 April 2019 07:53

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

simon43

What healthy meals could I cook with one of these? (photo)

Buy an air fryer,, first price around 1000 thb otto brand but philips offers the same for 5000.

Here in Phnom Penh I get by with an electric hot plate, a rice cooker and a toaster. Does pretty much anything I'd want - Asian style food anyway. I would like having that oven though for baking spuds.

Buy a small slow cooker (if it is available) and cook all kind of beans such as pinto, lentil, wheat and many more. Easy and taste good and you don't need to watch it while cooking.

if you are going to be there 5 years ,  and they will let you cook in your room ,

get a rice cooker ,  small microwave and an electric skillet.....

I also use my toaster oven a lot......

Some posters suggest a rice cooker.  But why would I want to cook rice?  It is a definite no-no to eat rice on a healthy diet, (certainly white rice is a no-no and I cannot get brown rice in this town).

The chocolate cake in a rice cooker is maybe not a good idea for someone trying to lose fat :)

I would opt for a crockpot, you can even bake bread in one.  I  make Irish soda bread loaded with raisins a lot in min e and I have a full size oven!

I live in a room with no cooking facilities too!  They hotel provides an electric kettle and I do boil a dozen eggs so that my salads can get some protein and fat into them.  I find eggs over here much healthier than in the states and more likely not to be from a factory farm.   Some years ago I sent my niece a book on making over 200 meals with a rice cooker but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the book.  I would not try baking or frying in a small room.  The odor!  The possibility of a fire!  Clean-up?  It doesn't sound like a good idea.

BTW, Bangkok is a great place to pick up a few pounds of black or red or wild rice!  The varies are astounding here.  Don't settle for just brown.

You could buy a blender or a nutribullit and prepare protein shakes and juices. Maybe you could grill some eggplant or cheese on toast etc all healthy. Protein is a must ie some animal protein 2-3 times a week, I opt for chicken drumsticks. Soft boiled eggs are a great source of protein and vitamins. You could hard boil some to go with your salads. You also must consume some good fats for a complete healthy diet, Avacado and coconut flesh are the best. Fish is good but hard to get so I have sardines 2-3 times a week. 

Thanks for all the good advice.

The more I investigate my cooking options, the more I discover cooking appliances that I didn't know existed!

Seems to me that I could cover all my options by buying a multi-cooker, especially for cooking some lean chicken to get my proteins.  (The only source of lean chicken that I have found are the ready-cooked CP chicken slices and a weekly chicken in tamarind sauce at the local Thai restaurant.

On my return from Bangkok, I'm going to buy a motorbike to allow me to travel further afield and also to visit some local Myanmar markets outside the town - it maybe possible to buy brown rice there.

BTW, I checked out the price of a brand new 125cc motorbike (Chinese make).  I can buy it for the pricely sum of 13,000 baht!!  (I just had the pedals on my bicycle changed and the tyres pumped up for 50 baht, including all parts and labour).

3 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I live in a room with no cooking facilities too!  They hotel provides an electric kettle and I do boil a dozen eggs so that my salads can get some protein and fat into them.  I find eggs over here much healthier than in the states and more likely not to be from a factory farm.   Some years ago I sent my niece a book on making over 200 meals with a rice cooker but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the book.  I would not try baking or frying in a small room.  The odor!  The possibility of a fire!  Clean-up?  It doesn't sound like a good idea.

Spaghetti sauce with pasta, BBQ chicken, soups, stews all in rice

cooker easy to clean. Soak filled with soap water, discard in toilet

Google rice cooker cooking. You can make great brown rice too

If you're lazy and just want awesome tasting food, go with the airfryer option mentioned earlier. I have the Actifry and it works a treat. Can basically cook anything in there and don't have to watch it. Throw in the food, switch it on and it shuts down by itself after 20 mins or so.

OP writes:

"Some posters suggest a rice cooker.  But why would I want to cook rice?  It is a definite no-no to eat rice on a healthy diet, (certainly white rice is a no-no and I cannot get brown rice in this town)."

But you can cook quinoa in a rice cooker. One of the healthiest meals -if available where u are!