Bribes offered to police after big load of cough syrup seized in Chumphon

rooster59

Bribes offered to police after big load of cough syrup seized in Chumphon

By The Nation

a2369bc6637cdb2270c0395bba5e404c.jpeg

Dusadee Choosangkij

NARCOTICS Suppression Bureau 4 commander Pol Maj General Dusadee Choosangkij on Saturday announced the successful seizure of 54,000 bottles of cough syrup at a police checkpoint in Chumphon’s Tha Sae district late on Thursday night. 

The cough syrup was reportedly on its way to the deep South, where it is made into the “4x100” stimulant cocktail popular among youngsters, that is made of four main ingredients – krathom leaves, cough syrup, Coca-Cola and ice. 

Police also arrested 10-wheel-truck driver Apinan Kuanoon and seized some Bt450,000 in cash from him.

Dusadee’s deputy Pol Colonel Watchara Thipmongkol said police had received a tip-off from an informant that the truck would carry cough syrup from Bangkok to a destination in Nakhon Si Thammarat. So, they set up a checkpoint on Phetchkasem Highway in Chumphon and arrested Apinan, who failed to show a delivery order or any document for possessing such goods, at 11pm on Thursday. 

When Apinan was arrested, his hirer, identified only as a woman nicknamed “Tim” called Apinan’s cell-phone to offer the police Bt450,000 in cash in exchange for release of the suspect and the cough syrup. Apinan told police that Tim hired him for Bt13,000 to pick up goods including the syrup from a company in Bang Bon in Bangkok to deliver to the South. 

Watchara said the syrup batch was in three bottle sizes – large bottles that cost Bt50 but able to fetch Bt300 each, mid-sized bottles that cost Bt20 but sell for Bt120 each, and small bottles that cost Bt10 but are sold for Bt40 each.

Apinan was passed on to Salui Police Station to face the charge of possessing a dangerous medicine with intent to sell without permission and conspiring with others to bribe police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30310258

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-26

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Bt450,000 in cash in exchange for release of the suspect and the cough syrup

Is this one of those rare cases of the RTP doing police work, or has it something to do minimum for bribes gone up ?  Wonder if Tim has a registered cell phone. 

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Is this one of those rare cases of the RTP doing police work, or has it something to do minimum for bribes gone up ?  Wonder if Tim has a registered cell phone. 

Nah, it's one of those cases where the police had already seized the bribe money:

"Police also arrested 10-wheel-truck driver Apinan Kuanoon and seized some Bt450,000 in cash from him."

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Nah, it's one of those cases where the police had already seized the bribe money:

"Police also arrested 10-wheel-truck driver Apinan Kuanoon and seized some Bt450,000 in cash from him."

You are right.............. I was just going to post that...................

Actually, i would like to try this mixture.Krathom leaves, cough syrup, coke ( i assume they mean the bottled variety)and ice ( I assume they mean the frozen water stuff) doesn't sound too terrible.

Up until now, i believe that Krathom leaves were not illegal in the UK.

Having experienced many other stimulant, and opiate drugs, in my youth, i would like to experience the effects of this mixture.It sounds quite harmless, unless there has been news of people being killed etc,after using this drug( can this really be called a drug?)I would welcome anyone's experience of  having sampled this stuff. After all, if it wasn't for rotten bread, we would not have discovered Penicillin.

Archived