Thousands demonstrate in London against leaving the EU

rooster59

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Well once again I have to start correcting you and your last sentence really does speak volumes to your understanding of what was intended for the EU.

How many times does it have to be stated to Brexiters, on Wednesday we are going to notify the EU of our intent to leave, we are not out we are just invoking Article 50.

That has been in the news for the last almost 12 months and you still don't understand the process and yet you will have us believe that you somehow understood what the EU was all about re the various treaties.

My guess is that you paid as much attention to the original application to join the EEC as you have shown to our intention to leave.

You just totally ignored what I said. All of that is fact, not "alternative" fact, just fact. Look it up!

If you had bothered to read what invoking Article 50 means you would know there is NO turning back, or are you that much in denial?

All that remains is negotiating the terms of leaving. The EU know that, the media have said that time and time again but you still don't believe it.

Wake up. Wednesday is the start of a new era.

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Yes, but surveys prove that most of these people went to university and have degrees. Don't you understand that they are well educated numpties, they are middle class numpties. How dare you compare them to those nasty lower class numpties who made up 99.9999999% of the leave vote. :laugh:

Numpty surveys?? I do hope that is all just sarcasm? 

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You just totally ignored what I said. All of that is fact, not "alternative" fact, just fact. Look it up!

If you had bothered to read what invoking Article 50 means you would know there is NO turning back, or are you that much in denial?

All that remains is negotiating the terms of leaving. The EU know that, the media have said that time and time again but you still don't believe it.

Again complete pie in the sky today the process begins of withdrawing from the EU and it will take months perhaps even years for the process to be completed. Only when the process has been completed can one truly say a new era has begun and until that date we will be operating under the same rules as we have been previously. In fact all that happens today is that a letter gets delivered stating our intention to withdraw so I doubt that the negotiators will even meet this week who knows, do you have a timetable. Then apparently the first item on the agenda is the bill for withdrawal. Who knows they might even get around to talking about our eventual relationship with Europe and what sort of treaty we will have but I daresay you are not interested in that.

16 hours ago, sotsira said:

Tommy Robinson attends the anti Brexit march to ask those present a few simple questions.

"So you're here supporting the EU and you don't know who the EU president is?"

Brilliant

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Article 50 is silent on issue of the UKs ability to revoke the notice.

There is a court case in progress which may clarify the position.However if UK parliament at some point in the future wishes  to withdraw the notification there is nothing in law preventing the EU from accepting the notice being withdrawn

27 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

There is a court case in progress which may clarify the position.However if UK parliament at some point in the future wishes  to withdraw the notification there is nothing in law preventing the EU from accepting the notice being withdrawn

This is what Professor Michael Dougan says,

Once Article 50 is activated the UK is cut out of EU decision-making at the highest level and there will be no way back unless by unanimous consent from all other member states.

But hell what does he know about it after all he is only a Professor in European Law I am sure that many TV posters know far more about the matter. May as well abandon that court case the definitive position has of course been stated by George F......

There is some hope! When the ramifications of this misguided decision are fully understood the pressure to change will be politically irresistable.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

16 hours ago, gamini said:

I am a European first and a Brit second. I value my European identity, so there is nothing selfish about my post. I left the UK 50 years ago. I don't have a pension and for your information. I was mainly referring to the many Brits here who are suffering from a devalued pound. We live in Thailand. Thailand is our home and not the UK. so why would why should we care about what happens there. All this talk about Patriotism is a bit out  dated. We live in a global world.. My objection was to the rather childish posts about bar fines and the crude and childish insults  against those 48% who chose to remain. I was not one of them . I welcome the UK departure from the EU. I think it will be much better without them. My only regret  is that I was stupid enough to hold some of my  investments in the UK. I never expected that Brits would be stupid enough to leave the EU.  As for the 10% decrease in my savings you mentioned. I can assure you that I have more than enough to live the lavish  lifestyle I am used to.

This whole paragraph seems to be not selfish, rather self-conflicting. 

I am a European first and a Brit second. I value my European identity, so there is nothing selfish about my post. I left the UK 50 years ago. I don't have a pension and for your information. I was mainly referring to the many Brits here who are suffering from a devalued pound. We live in Thailand. Thailand is our home and not the UK. so why would why should we care about what happens there. All this talk about Patriotism is a bit out  dated. We live in a global world.. My objection was to the rather childish posts about bar fines and the crude and childish insults  against those 48% who chose to remain. I was not one of them . I welcome the UK departure from the EU. I think it will be much better without them. My only regret  is that I was stupid enough to hold some of my  investments in the UK. I never expected that Brits would be stupid enough to leave the EU.  As for the 10% decrease in my savings you mentioned. I can assure you that I have more than enough to live the lavish  lifestyle I am used to.

Not aiming at lowering the debate tone, however an element of hypocrisy in your post?

Crude and childish insults yet accuse Brits of being stupid enough to leave.

Agreed, we live in a global world, and the UK is focusing on a global ambition rather than being tied to EU restrictions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Misguided?

Not a fan or supporter of democracy then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supporter of parliamentary democracy. Less so of referenda on subjects that have to be over-simplified and for which too many people can be swayed by false information and unpleasant nationalism.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Supporter of parliamentary democracy. Less so of referenda on subjects that have to be over-simplified and for which too many people can be swayed by false information and unpleasant nationalism.

58db6a966a1c0_laughalot.gif.7afc2a1082ba5b8b2bf59ea6ecc42500.gif.................So ALL voting stuff is FALSE in your opinion...?

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

People weren't swayed by false information (backed up by a particularly nasty threat from our Chancellor) provided by remain. And there isn't enough nationalism (I prefer to call it patriotism or national identity) in the UK, because it's been systematically watered down by the loony element of the liberal left for the last forty years, whilst said loony element has encouraged everyone not  traditionally from a British background to celebrate their origins and culture. A rise in British patriotism is an absolute necessity.

5 hours ago, vogie said:

"So you're here supporting the EU and you don't know who the EU president is?"

Brilliant

If you are protesting against something you do not need to know the facts. This highlights a major problem with the Referendum. It is well known that the better-educated, who were more likely to look at the bigger picture, tended to vote to remain. On the other hand many who chose the leave option tended to vote on a single issue basis, whether it was immigration, "sovereignty", NHS funding (I won't mention the bus so as not to raise anyone's ire), agriculture, an anti-government protest vote etc. It is also fair to assume that the majority of people who did not vote were content with the status quo, particularly in the light of pre-Referendum polls consistently showing remain with a comfortable lead. In most walks of life (i keep thinking of golf clubs voting to admit lady members) two thirds of the vote is required to effect a major constitutional change, and this should have happened in this case. Unfortunately, David Cameron was too confident of winning - like all politicians he underestimated the sheer stupidity of the electorate. Two horse races often give anomalous results, especially when it is tight. Just look at the US, where the popular vote - "will of the people" in Brexit parlance - would have seen another President Clinton in the White House.

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So am I right in thinking (in your view) that it was a waste of time having a referendum in the first place. It would have saved a lot of time and money if they had asked parliament 'if we give the citizens of the UK a referendum would you honour it, if they voted and said 'no' it would be pointless having the referendum in the first place?

2 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

If you are protesting against something you do not need to know the facts. This highlights a major problem with the Referendum. It is well known that the better-educated, who were more likely to look at the bigger picture, tended to vote to remain. On the other hand many who chose the leave option tended to vote on a single issue basis, whether it was immigration, "sovereignty", NHS funding (I won't mention the bus so as not to raise anyone's ire), agriculture, an anti-government protest vote etc. It is also fair to assume that the majority of people who did not vote were content with the status quo, particularly in the light of pre-Referendum polls consistently showing remain with a comfortable lead. In most walks of life (i keep thinking of golf clubs voting to admit lady members) two thirds of the vote is required to effect a major constitutional change, and this should have happened in this case. Unfortunately, David Cameron was too confident of winning - like all politicians he underestimated the sheer stupidity of the electorate. Two horse races often give anomalous results, especially when it is tight. Just look at the US, where the popular vote - "will of the people" in Brexit parlance - would have seen another President Clinton in the White House.

So if UK folk were happy with their lot why did the folk who cared  to go out and vote actually vote to leave over remain...?

4 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Are you including yourself in the superior better educated people by any chance?

So am I right in thinking (in your view) that it was a waste of time having a referendum in the first place. It would have saved a lot of time and money if they had asked parliament 'if we give the citizens of the UK a referendum would you honour it, if they voted and said 'no' it would be pointless having the referendum in the first place?

I was never in favour of the referendum which was only, foolishly, offered by Cameron as a sop to the extreme right of his party and to stop defections to UKIP.

47 minutes ago, vogie said:

Are you including yourself in the superior better educated people by any chance?

No. As a resident of Thailand, although entitled to vote, I decided I had a moral obligation to leave a decision on the future of the UK to its residents. In retrospect, seeing how my fellow wrinklies stitched up the younger generation, perhaps I should have been selfish as well. And, by the way, I never said "superior". 

5 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

No. As a resident of Thailand, although entitled to vote, I decided I had a moral obligation to leave a decision on the future of the UK to its residents. In retrospect, seeing how my fellow wrinklies stitched up the younger generation, perhaps I should have been selfish as well. And, by the way, I never said "superior". 

It makes me slightly perturbed to hear the 48% stating that the 52% have no brains, enough already! Most of the younger generation don't even know what day of the week it is.

1 hour ago, transam said:

So if UK folk were happy with their lot why did the folk who cared  to go out and vote actually vote to leave over remain...?

At least 37% of the electorate were clearly not happy with their lot, just as at least 34% seem to have been happy. What I am saying is that people are more likely to be complacent if they are content with the status quo than if they want change, so it is likely that the majority of the 29% who didn't vote were not in favour of Brexit, but were maybe lulled into a false sense of security by the pre-Referendum opinion polls.

2 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

At least 37% of the electorate were clearly not happy with their lot, just as at least 34% seem to have been happy. What I am saying is that people are more likely to be complacent if they are content with the status quo than if they want change, so it is likely that the majority of the 29% who didn't vote were not in favour of Brexit, but were maybe lulled into a false sense of security by the pre-Referendum opinion polls.

Well I think those who did not vote didn't give a shit...:stoner:

27 minutes ago, vogie said:

It makes me slightly perturbed to hear the 48% stating that the 52% have no brains, enough already! Most of the younger generation don't even know what day of the week it is.

Not sure what relevance your first sentence has to anything I've posted. My perception of the younger generation is at odds with yours, though - nearly all I know are knowledgeable and eloquent, and were looking forward to the opportunities offered by being part of Europe rather than just Little England. We clearly move in very different circles!

1 minute ago, Stupooey said:

Not sure what relevance your first sentence has to anything I've posted. My perception of the younger generation is at odds with yours, though - nearly all I know are knowledgeable and eloquent, and were looking forward to the opportunities offered by being part of Europe rather than just Little England. We clearly move in very different circles!

So the young think it's a WOW to send their tax dosh to countries that have totally different retirement age and tax systems that they bolster..........Good grief.......:sad:

Archived