Thousands demonstrate in London against leaving the EU

rooster59

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Me too. As a Brexiter it may come as a surprise but there's a thoroughly decent bloke on the end of that keyboard although it took me a while to realise it.

BTW Grouse; I went to Charterhouse....but only to nick lead off the roof in my teens :smile:

In fact, I remember now!

LG wrote, "What is there not to understnad?"

Grouse replied. "Understnad"

From the above exchange, much anguish was wrung.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Another falsely superior post claiming the uneducated stupidity of the leave voters. Shame on you Stupoo!

No shame at all. I quoted facts based on the publicised demographic split of the vote, which does seem to touch a raw nerve with many people. I also referred to the stupidity of the electorate in general, not specifically leave voters. It is no secret that the surprise General Election results of 1992 and 2015 were effectively engineered by Sun readers blindly following their newspaper's instructions like sheep, so one could argue that the remain cause was doomed from the time the Sun came out in support of Brexit. Voters also tend to cast negative votes (typically 55% in a General Election), and the Referendum gave them too many different things they could vote against, as listed in my original post. I chose not to vote myself, being non-resident, but looking at the overall picture I do not believe that the result accurately reflected the "will of the people".

Several posts have been removed and some people are now enjoying a "posting holiday" the flame/troll fest is over.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

5 hours ago, Stupooey said:

No shame at all. I quoted facts based on the publicised demographic split of the vote, which does seem to touch a raw nerve with many people. I also referred to the stupidity of the electorate in general, not specifically leave voters. It is no secret that the surprise General Election results of 1992 and 2015 were effectively engineered by Sun readers blindly following their newspaper's instructions like sheep, so one could argue that the remain cause was doomed from the time the Sun came out in support of Brexit. Voters also tend to cast negative votes (typically 55% in a General Election), and the Referendum gave them too many different things they could vote against, as listed in my original post. I chose not to vote myself, being non-resident, but looking at the overall picture I do not believe that the result accurately reflected the "will of the people".

72% turnout was higher than any recent General Election. A 4% voter majority is actually a bigger mandate than any General Election in over 60 years. It was a fair reflection of the will of the people.

The " demographic" was another example of how to twist statistics, and a perfect example of "interpretation of information" to make a misleading point, or sophistry as one poster called it.

As for the newspapers, there was a fair split between the tabloids, and the broadsheets too. The negative Remain campaign did not scare voters, although there were misleading claims on both sides.

It is insulting for someone who didn't vote, but now wished he had it would seem, to call anyone that did vote stupid. In a democracy, votes are what count.

20 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Again complete pie in the sky today the process begins of withdrawing from the EU and it will take months perhaps even years for the process to be completed. Only when the process has been completed can one truly say a new era has begun and until that date we will be operating under the same rules as we have been previously. In fact all that happens today is that a letter gets delivered stating our intention to withdraw so I doubt that the negotiators will even meet this week who knows, do you have a timetable. Then apparently the first item on the agenda is the bill for withdrawal. Who knows they might even get around to talking about our eventual relationship with Europe and what sort of treaty we will have but I daresay you are not interested in that.

The process has started, and I agree it is not an instantaneous change, but the new era does start today, the UK is leaving the EU for sure. What it looks like when the negotiations are done in a couple of years when the UK has officially left the EU we will have to wait and see. I am confidant it will prove to be the best decision the UK has made for a very, very long time.

I like my pie on a plate thanks!

Believing the EU is anything more than Eurocratic, undemocratic and expansionist nonsense is "pie in the sky".

On 3/28/2017 at 3:25 PM, pitrevie said:

Boris Johnson was the leader of the OUT campaign and he told the public what OUT meant. It meant a big red bus, it meant reducing immigration, it meaning leaving the EU but remaining in the single market.

Since then the big red bus has disappeared along with its message. Nobody now talks about reducing immigration in fact Boris even admitted it might even go up. I actually posted the link to Daniel Hannan being interviewed and when he told the interviewer that it wasn't about reducing immigration even the interviewer shook his head is disbelief.

Strange that you now chose to quote one of the men who was so often accused of scare tactics.

Just to add in a recent poll 9 out of 10 polled whether they voted to remain or leave wanted to remain in the single market .

Thanks, more poll results, and we all know how reliable polls are.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knew the EU would not entertain staying in the single market and taking control of EU migration was never going to happen. The "renegotiation" by Cameron showed exactly what the EU thought.

The suggestion was that we could forge a trade deal near equivalent to staying in.

The trade figures between the EU and UK show that it will be in the EU's interest to make a decent deal.

Oh, and BTW, Labour MP Gisela Stuart was leader of the official Vote Leave campaign.

You need to pay attention.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:35 PM, pitrevie said:

You are quite correct and its much like to listening to Trump who forgets that he is the president and it doesn't matter what the losing side said or promised the issue has got nothing to do with them.

This is about what was promised by those who wanted us OUT. Now the Brexiters are walking back each and everything they said during their campaign.

There will be no extra money for the NHS arising from any so called savings by not being in the EU.

Immigration is unlikely to be reduced.

And we will probably no longer be in the single market. 

Apparently you know nothing about politics and politicians, this is one of the reasons we are getting out of the EU's mega bureaucracy, unelected presidents, commissioners and total disregard for the electorate.

What is the turn out at MEP elections?

On 3/28/2017 at 9:19 AM, pitrevie said:

"toeing the line" nope its just that many of them keep getting their facts wrong as we have just recently seen.  However please explain  what is meant by OUT. Is that the OUT we were promised by many of the Prncipal Brexiters including Johnson where we would retain access to the single market despite leaving the EU or the OUT as the PM has said where we leave the single market. Did you pick up on the link I posted earlier where 9 out of 10 poll wanted the UK to retain access to the single market irrespective of whether they voted to remain or leave. What camp are you in or don't you give a damn?

Talk about getting facts wrong, you are really very good at that, if not much else.

See my earlier replies starting at 335.

20 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Talking to yourself.....(just read your sig - figures !) Enjoy your brief moment in the sun - May was a remainer and business will get what it wants in the end....and it won't involve making you happy perched high on your Pattaya barstool.....

Sorry, this post is not a reply to anyone and as a stand alone I miss the point? You live in London, but how did you vote?

May sat on the fence as best she could, waiting to see where the wind would blow. Better to be in government and take the opportunity when it comes than take a risk. As Home Sec she was well P'd off with the ECJ.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Talk about getting facts wrong, you are really very good at that, if not much else.

See my earlier replies starting at 335.

You still don't get it, you tried to claim that we were out as soon as we invoked Article 50 that is clearly not the case Article 50 is the start of the process of withdrawal. Even Lord Kerr the man who wrote Article 50 states that it is not irrevocable, but hell what does he know about it he is another one of those know all legal and diplomatic experts.

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The process has started, and I agree it is not an instantaneous change, but the new era does start today, the UK is leaving the EU for sure. What it looks like when the negotiations are done in a couple of years when the UK has officially left the EU we will have to wait and see. I am confidant it will prove to be the best decision the UK has made for a very, very long time.

I like my pie on a plate thanks!

Believing the EU is anything more than Eurocratic, undemocratic and expansionist nonsense is "pie in the sky".

Well we didn't have to wait and see what affect deciding to leave had on our currency as correctly predicted by all those silly experts, it plummeted. We know where we were when we joined the EEC right in the basement the sick man of Europe. So where will we be in a couple of years from now, as Kenneth Clarke said we have disappeared down a rabbit hole and apparently we expect to reappear in wonderland. Perhaps you would like to tell us will the pound be worth more or will it be less, will our economic situation be better or worse or it it pie in the sky?

7 minutes ago, citybiker said:

So it's started, although judging by the EU's response to certain little inclusions it appears the wake up call has finally sunk in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They expected us to play the nice guy, as we traditionally have, whilst they played tough. In the coming months we are going to see many more good reasons why we're better off out.

By the way, why is Merkel laying out the EU's negotiating stance? Does she currently hold an official position in it ??

2 hours ago, pitrevie said:

You still don't get it, you tried to claim that we were out as soon as we invoked Article 50 that is clearly not the case Article 50 is the start of the process of withdrawal. Even Lord Kerr the man who wrote Article 50 states that it is not irrevocable, but hell what does he know about it he is another one of those know all legal and diplomatic experts.

Why are you so utterly transfixed on such a mute point?

Fact: The gun was fired yesterday.

Fact: Our divorce absolute is expected in 2 years.

Fact: No one expected to be free this week regardless of what you think you have read.

I propose we resume from here with a little maturity & the odd one liner that might endear us to the opposition...

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Why are you so utterly transfixed on such a mute point?

Fact: The gun was fired yesterday.

Fact: Our divorce absolute is expected in 2 years.

Fact: No one expected to be free this week regardless of what you think you have read.

I propose we resume from here & include a little maturity & the odd one liner that might endear us to the opposition...

I recall reading remarks the day following the result that we were OUT of the EU. Its as if Brexiters can't face the reality that this is a long and difficult process and require good will on both side. None of that is helped by "now we can watch the EU implode or the Euro fail", god only knows how the EU and or Euro imploding will in any way benefit the UK. However that is a common response from those who voted Brexit.   Perhaps you can dig out some remark from the EU side that says they hope the UK will fail, I haven't seen one, or if there is its vary rare. They know that its not in the interests of anyone in the EU for the UK to implode. As for your facts I have seen those much more acquainted with the legal niceties than either you or I state that it will take a while longer than two years for this to be sorted out. 

7 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I recall reading remarks the day following the result that we were OUT of the EU. Its as if Brexiters can't face the reality that this is a long and difficult process and require good will on both side. None of that is helped by "now we can watch the EU implode or the Euro fail", god only knows how the EU and or Euro imploding will in any way benefit the UK. However that is a common response from those who voted Brexit.   Perhaps you can dig out some remark from the EU side that says they hope the UK will fail, I haven't seen one, or if there is its vary rare. They know that its not in the interests of anyone in the EU for the UK to implode. As for your facts I have seen those much more acquainted with the legal niceties than either you or I state that it will take a while longer than two years for this to be sorted out. 

I lack the ability to BOLD my last paragraph via this device :sad:

2 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Well we didn't have to wait and see what affect deciding to leave had on our currency as correctly predicted by all those silly experts, it plummeted. We know where we were when we joined the EEC right in the basement the sick man of Europe. So where will we be in a couple of years from now, as Kenneth Clarke said we have disappeared down a rabbit hole and apparently we expect to reappear in wonderland. Perhaps you would like to tell us will the pound be worth more or will it be less, will our economic situation be better or worse or it it pie in the sky?

"Well we didn't have to wait and see what affect deciding to leave had on our currency as correctly predicted by all those silly experts, it plummeted."

Which leaves me a little perplexed - bearing in mind May gave the date on which Article 50 would be triggered a while ago.  And yet some were taken by suprise, resulting in sterling falling again??

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Well we didn't have to wait and see what affect deciding to leave had on our currency as correctly predicted by all those silly experts, it plummeted."

Which leaves me a little perplexed - bearing in mind May gave the date on which Article 50 would be triggered a while ago.  And yet some were taken by suprise, resulting in sterling falling again??

Could you tell me what was the value of the pound the day before Brexit and what happened in the days following. Nothing perplexing about what happened, I am no economic expert so I really didn't have to be told what would happen to the pound if the UK voted for Brexit, 

1 minute ago, pitrevie said:

Could you tell me what was the value of the pound the day before Brexit and what happened in the days following. Nothing perplexing about what happened, I am no economic expert so I really didn't have to be told what would happen to the pound if the UK voted for Brexit, 

My mistake.  I thought you were referring to the fall in sterling yesterday/today.

36 minutes ago, evadgib said:

£ has gone up a bit since my last tx a few days ago.

HTH

I only look at SCB transfer rates, and its fallen to under 42 against bht whereas it was over 42 a couple of days ago.

Unless of course, I've made a mistake and was looking at the wrong 'box'!

the Brexit article 50 news is not a sudden unexpected event - it is unlikely to have any effect of exchange. To get the picture expats should look at the value of their income over the last couple of years and you'll see yourself losing quite alot if your money is in sterling....about 20%. This is unlikely to recover to any great extant - if the Thai baht - a very small currency comes more under pressure than you might get a bit of relief....but on a wold scale the pound looks like becoming a pretty unpopular currency. many don't want it at present because the future is so uncertain - increase in interest rates or whatever will only have short term effect as people take a quick profit and move on.......... what Brexit has done to the pound is removed it as an international currency and as the financial institutions leave UK and focus on EU that will only become more apparent.

it's not just expats in Europe that will feel the ramifications of Brexit, those living outside UK and EU will find new pitfalls with investments, visas a etc as the UK has over the next decade to re-negotiate all the business and treaties established when UK was a member of EU - many countries will now find UK less attractive and want to re-negotiate treaties and privileges that UK had.

On 3/28/2017 at 9:06 PM, KunMatt said:

Stopped reading at "European".  Don't tell me you are another one of these Remainers who doesn't understand the difference between the EU and Europe?

Britain is not leaving Europe.   We will still be European.  We are leaving an overbearing dictatorship that wants to establish a European federation, something which we have just hopefully stopped by being smart enough to vote to leave.

You understand all of this, right?  You can still be European first and British second, whatever you think that really entails.

I speak four European languages fluently. My parents live in Portugal. My brother lives in Spain and other members live in France and Switzerland.. I consider myself European first because I have Dutch, Irish, Italian and British blood. I wasn't even born in the UK. I was Born in Ceylon, When my father was working there. And because it was a British colony. I became British. I trust this answers your question.

Archived