Baby Born - DNA Test Required and What Does Thai Government Provide ?

Thaifly88

I woman in Pattaya I slept with in Pattaya has just had a baby which she says is mine. My belief is that it is possibly mine, but as the baby was born rather 'early' (34 weeks rather than the normal term of 38 weeks), there is an element of doubt in my mind.   I will get a DNA test done to prove paternity.

She informed me that she was pregnant at the 4 month stage (we had had no contact between the possible conception during the 4 months). I have been providing some support since that time (8,000 THB per month) 

I live in Bangkok and really have no idea where to get a DNA test done. I assume I need to get a test kit, pay a visit to the new born (now with mother in Esarn), take the appropriate swabs, take the samples back to the facility and they will conduct the test ?

Also, the mother informed me just prior to the birth, that she needed a cesarean section and because she had no 'insurance', this would cost in the vicinity of 20,000THB. I had heard that the government paid for birth costs, but I am not sure about this. I did send this amount through as requested.

If DNA tests prove me to be the father, then I plan to take responsibility for the child. 

My questions are :

1. Where should I go in Bangkok to organise for a DNA test and what would be the approximate cost ? 

2. Was the 20,000 THB request a scam ? (I just wonder what would have happened had I not sent that money through ? )

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

Hi. There are private DNA testing clinics/hospitals, you can google them up. They would require conformity of the mother to DNA testing. For purposes of court proceedings, it would be best to go to government hospitals because there is a strict procedure to safeguard authenticity of the results.

You met an Isaan girl in Pattaya

She becomes pregnant an says it's yours

She asks for money

She gives birth one month early

Yeah,  sounds feasible to me

On a slightly different note, does anyone have any idea why Thai women think we're stupid?

2 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

She asks for money

On a slightly different note, does anyone have any idea why Thai women think we're stupid?

because most farangs are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheesy:

Reminds me of my friend .

He was with a Thai woman for six months and she gave with to a full term baby and she claimed that it was his .

When he questioned her abut the timing of the babies arrival, she said, quite seriously "I have babies quickly, my last one only took four months"

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Reminds me of my friend .

He was with a Thai woman for six months and she gave with to a full term baby and she claimed that it was his .

When he questioned her abut the timing of the babies arrival, she said, quite seriously "I have babies quickly, my last one only took four months"

:cheesy:

i have been through this. i got the DNA test done 5 years ago in bangkok. sorry i dont know the name of the hospital any more but i can probably find out. it cost 12500thb. i would suggest giving no more money to the mum till you get the DNA test done. you need to go there in person with the baby and they take a swab from the inside of your and your babies cheeks. the result took a long time, think it was about 6 weeks. you get 2 copies of the DNA test. make sure you get one in english and one in thai. this will be important if the kid is yours and you need to apply for passports or visas in the future. maybe PM me if you have any further questions. one last thing, dont try to skimp on doing this cheap, it is one of the most important things that can happen to someone.

In this instance (with legal implications and follow up likely), there really is only one place to go - The Police Forensics hospital in Bangkok.

This is likely the best facility in Thailand any DNA testing results produced here will be accepted unquestionably as true by any court - I've been through this procedure myself.

Here's what you need to do:-

You, the mother and the child all go together to the Police Foresics hospital, 2nd floor 'DNA testing center' 

Of course take with you your passport , the mothers ID card, babies birth certificate, mums tabien baan, originals & photocopies of everything, etc.

You will then all be photographed, finger printed and DNA tested by buccal swab method by a police doctor and a formal police DNA certificate acceptable in a Thai court will be produced.

Timescale for production of the certificate after testing is around 2 weeks. Costs are around 12,000 Baht.  You can chose to either collect the certificate in person or have it sent to you by EMS courier for a small extra charge.

If the women gives you excuses about not being able to go there for whatever reason - STOP PAYING HER ANY MORE MONEY. :jap:

More info on DNA testing in Thailand http://www.forensic.sc.mahidol.ac.th/proceeding/49_Samart.pdf

Below is a photo from the facility showing a poster about usage of DNA testing in forensic medicine..  

Recall someone else posting a thread similar to this recently and this was given and it was reportedly is a very good service.......https://www.ptclabsthailand.com/

paternity testing centre labs.......maybe check it out....I personally would be definitely getting it done with the 4 week difference in pregnancy period and agree with one of the previous posts. If she wont go then don't send anymore money.

Good luck

3 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

She asks for money

Because we have more money and don't mind loosing 500 baht here or there So they think we must be stupid The other reason is the language barrier 

52 minutes ago, SteveB2 said:

In this instance (with legal implications and follow up likely), there really is only one place to go - The Police Forensics hospital in Bangkok.

This is likely the best facility in Thailand any DNA testing results produced here will be accepted unquestionably as true by any court - I've been through this procedure myself.

You, the mother and the child all go together to the Police Foresics hospital, 2nd floor 'DNA testing center' 

Of course take with you your passport , the mothers ID card, babies birth certificate, mums tabien baan, originals & photocopies of everything, etc.

You will then all be photographed, finger printed and DNA tested by buccal swab method by a police doctor and a formal police DNA certificate acceptable in a Thai court will be produced.

Timescale for production of the certificate after testing is around 2 weeks. Costs are around 12,000 Baht.  You can chose to either collect the certificate in person or have it sent to you by EMS courier for a small extra charge.

If the women gives you excuses about not being able to go there for whatever reason - STOP PAYING HER ANY MORE MONEY. :jap:

More info on DNA testing in Thailand http://www.forensic.sc.mahidol.ac.th/proceeding/49_Samart.pdf

Below is a photo from the facility showing a poster about usage of DNA testing in forensic medicine..  

Two hospitals in Bangkok perform DNA paternity testing that is acceptable by a Thai court, one is the Police Forensics hospital as noted above, the other is 

Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University
Rama VI Road, Bangkok I 0400, Thailand
Tel. (662) 354-7275,201-1296 Fax (662) 354-7233

I have been to both and I think Ramathibodi Hospital is a much bigger and better equipped DNA lab.

IF you are determined that you are the father, don't leave your child here to live a life as a pauper, remember it does takes 2 to make baby and if you child is determined to be your child, you have a responsibility to provide for that child and make sure he or she has a good life.

I was in a similar situation, my daughters mother had a baby against my wishes to extort money from me. For a time she succeeded but then I found out what she was up to. I took my 1 year old baby and put her in a safe house and when her mother came back to our condo I threw her out.

I have always taken care of my daughter, her mother is now dead because of drugs and tuberculosis.

I hear of so many guys who come here and screw themselves, get a girl pregnant and do a runner. These guys clearly have no idea how moist of these girls live in their home town and why most do what they do. I have lived here 9 years on and off and got to know a handful of girls who work in the bars, some work to go through school, most work to take care of their parents of a Thai boyfriend / Husband who gave her a child and then did a runner. Most who have a child cannot even find enough money to take care of a baby and that is reason for a girl to hit the bars. I have met few girls who actually like what they do, the vast majority loath what they do and would leave in a heartbeat if they could.

When my daughters mother died he parents tried to take custody of her. Again I hid her until I could get a court order giving me parental rights, had I not done that there is a good possibility she would be living in drug infested small town near Khon Kaen. I could not allow that happen. Getting parental rights as a Farang is a long process, not too expensive, but the court will require a DNA test to prove paternity from one of the 2 hospitals that are noted. There will be public notices filed and there will be a hearing.

I would first find out if the child is yours, for this you don't need to go to the hospitals here. You can google the USA or the UK for DNA paternity testing and get a lab to do the test for you. You will need a cotton swab from the inside of your mouth and a similar swab from the child's mouth, you send them to the lab and you get a report. there is no need to have a swab from the mother. Once you have determined if she is your or not then you have some decisions to make.

Remember the child did not ask to come into this world and as such you owe her a good life if she is proved to be yours

My daughter is now learning English and because of my citizenship, she has UK and USA passport for her to use when she is old enough to go the a university.

Don't do a runner if the child is yours. If your child is not yours, then it is the mothers problem.

52 minutes ago, SteveB2 said:

On 3/30/2017 at 1:30 PM, Jane3210 said:

Hi. There are private DNA testing clinics/hospitals, you can google them up. They would require conformity of the mother to DNA testing. For purposes of court proceedings, it would be best to go to government hospitals because there is a strict procedure to safeguard authenticity of the results.

You can send cotton swabs of the inside of the childs mouth and the assumed father and send them to a lab in the USA or UK. You do not need to mothers permission to do that but you do have to have access to the child to get the swab.

2 hours ago, houstoniron said:

You can send cotton swabs of the inside of the childs mouth and the assumed father and send them to a lab in the USA or UK. You do not need to mothers permission to do that but you do have to have access to the child to get the swab.

Odds are 100 to 1 that it isn't yours. 

They will not cooperate in taking the baby in for a DNA test. 

Can pick up the test kits on eBay or at Amazon. 

End of story. 

I did last year.

You need to go Bangkok Police Hospital in Bangkok(it's the best another the court don't want, Thai court like DNA by Thai police...), with the baby and mother, price 15 000 bath , result in 2 months need nothing just passport translate in Thai for the name, don't need appointment, 20 mn finish. after that need to go in the court for tell you are the father, etc...  after Amphur where your baby are register in blue book for give your name if dont have your family name, and change name on birth certificate.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone for your responses. I will soon go upcountry with a DNA kit to do the necessary swabs, providing I can get the mother's permission to do this.

If she doesn't agree, then I will take that as a result in itself. (ie negative)

Until the results are in, there is not much point speculating any further.

Am I the only one on this forum to applaud the OP for being willing to take responsibility for his child - if the DNA determines that to be the case?

On 4/4/2017 at 4:13 PM, SteveB2 said:

If this is the lab which did the Koh Tao 2 B boys tests, don't forget to tell them what you want the results to be...............when you PAY !

I had a friend in Germany who had this happen to him, he received an E-mail from his Pattaya adventure telling him he was a father and needed monthly payments.

She didn't address him by name, just the normal Ti Rak, unfortunately for her she had sent the same message per CC to half of Europe so he was able to read all the names of the new fathers. He printed it out and put it in a frame and it now adorns his living room wall,

• 2 weeks later...

Going with mother to the hospital could she in Thai tell them secretly if the result come positive they have a big present coming there way..... Not sure about Thailand but in some other corrupt countries this is so easily done.... ! 

Do a postal test in UK/USA first or as well for your own piece of mind.....?

Hi Agusts,

This potential problem crossed my mind also. When I went to the office for the DNA testing facility to pick up the test kit, they asked for the contact details of the mother which I declined to provide for this very reason.

The test, if it proceeds, will be conducted in a lab in the USA.

The mother at this stage, has not given consent to a test, citing her worry of causing the child any pain.

The test, is of course, totally painless, a few cotton bud swabs around the inner area of the mouth, so perhaps I have my answer as to whether or not I am the father. 

Archived