British Muay Thai boxer, 19, died 'from heat stroke after 'training in sweat suit to lose weight'

webfact

British Muay Thai boxer, 19, died 'from heat stroke after 'training in sweat suit to lose weight'

BYABIGAIL O'LEARY

mt.jpg

Jordan was described as an "inspiration" in the Muay Thai boxing community (Photo: Internet Unknown)

Tributes have been paid to Jordan Coe who was found dead in the Muang district of Bangkok, Thailand, on Sunday where was competing in the popular sport

BANGKOK: -- A British Muay Thai boxer has died after reportedly training in a heavy sweat suit in order to lose weight for an upcoming fight.

Described as a "gentleman inside and out", Jordan Coe, 19, from Maddiston near Falkirk, Scotland, was said to be training for a fight in which he needed to weigh 61 kilograms.

The Scottish boxer was found dead on Sunday by Thai police in the Muang district of Bangkok.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-muay-thai-boxer-19-10104025

-- Mirror 2017-03-27

I run regularly here and often see people wearing those suits during even the hottest times of the year. Those suits were proven to be dangerous and ineffective decades ago. Any weight lost is just water which is quickly replaced. Of course I often see Thai people running with more clothes on than I would wear in the dead of a North American winter.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

RIP young talent!

To @SpokaneAl in your yout you don't necessarily register the fatigue, but as we are talking about a recognized muay thai fighter, my bets are somewhere else.

Please keep on topic on this, yet another, tragic loss and stop the "columbo act" when you have nothing to bring into the table. At least show some respect.

Tributes paid to boxer Jordan Coe who died in Thailand

Tributes have been paid to a Scottish Muay Thai boxer who has died in Thailand.

Jordan Coe, 20, is reported to have been found dead in a heavy tracksuit after failing to return to his hotel.

It has prompted speculation that the professional athlete, who is originally from Maddiston near Falkirk, died of heatstroke.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39400250

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-03-27

Its the dangers of weight cut before the match. Some fighters has to lose alot of weight to fight in a certain well below weight class to gain advantage. 

I think there have to be some rules like a fighter cannot fight more than 10 pounds below their actual weight to ensure a safe n healthy weight cut before the fight.

Scottish Muay Thai boxer dies while training in Thailand

Shane Hickey and agencies

Jordan Coe, 20, from Falkirk – who was preparing for a professional fight – may have died from heatstroke, said his coach

A Scottish boxer has died in Thailand of suspected heatstroke. Jordan Coe, 20, was found dead in a heavy tracksuit and is believed to have been trying to reach a certain weight for a professional fight.

The boxer, from Maddiston, Falkirk, was a professional Muay Thai boxer and trained at a gym in Glasgow before moving to Thailand.

Craig Floan, Coe’s coach at Glasgow Thai Boxing Academy, said he was found dead on Sunday and that it is believed he died from heatstroke. 

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/26/scottish-boxer-dies-while-training-in-thailand

-- The Guardian2017-03-27

Otherwise healthy young people doing a lot of training and sweating too much lose a lot of Magnesium causing a deficiency. Magnesium deficiency is directly related to muscle cramps, and a familiar cause of heart failure or heart attacks. If you're going to 'sweat it out' make sure you top it up. Common in hot countries.

2 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Any weight lost is just water which is quickly replaced. 

That's the whole idea of them..you cut the last bit of water weight by sweating excessively before you weigh in then you can get it back between the weigh-in and the fight.  

'The Isaan dancer' Scottish Muay Thai boxer dies in Nakhon Ratchasima
By The Nation

013fef88e46b38dd83a9bf9b546fb8c3.jpeg

Jordan Coe (photo from his Facebook wall).

BANGKOK: -- A well-known Scottish Muay Thai boxer was found dead in sweat suit in Nakhon Ratchasima Sunday afternoon apparently because of heat stroke, police said.

Jordan Coe, 20, was preparing to have a charity fight in Nakhon Ratchaisma Sunday evening before his body was found. Police have sent the body was an autopsy.

Kritchai Kritnok, Coe’s trainer, told police that he last saw the Scottish boxer in tight clothes with sweat suit on top running at noon Saturday to try to reduce his weight by 3 kilogrammes. But the boxer did not return to his resort, the trainer said.

Coe was found dead on the open ground in front of Bang Saphan Hin resort at 2:45 pm Sunday.

Coe belonged to the Lamnammoon Muay Thai camp in Ubon Ratchathani.

The camp’s owner, Kuekrit Kamolrit, 44, said Coe was popular thanked to his good performance and his Isaan dance to please the audience. He has fought 14 bouts and was beaten just one during the past year.

He had an alias of the jom serng (the Isaan stye dancer) because he liked to dance and played kaen (Isaan traditional wind instrument) before each fight.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310379

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-27

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I run regularly here and often see people wearing those suits during even the hottest times of the year. Those suits were proven to be dangerous and ineffective decades ago. Any weight lost is just water which is quickly replaced. Of course I often see Thai people running with more clothes on than I would wear in the dead of a North American winter.

Yes, I often see people packed in thick running suits with their hoods up, running in the midday sun.

I used to belong to a running club and  train for marathons in Europe, and one of the things that was stressed to us was NOT to cover the whole head in the summer months, but wear a thin cap, in order to prevent heatstroke. That was in 20 to 25 degrees.

I think something like 30% of the body heat escapes through the head.

Tragic. If you are exercising vigorously in this country you must drink fluid almost constantly. He died in the same way as the 3 SAS soldiers during summer training in Wales a couple of years ago, fluids not being replaced leading to the body core temperature rising to critical levels.  Strength and fitness is no protection. 

Wearing a sweat suit here is playing with fire, and certainly has zero health benefits.

RIP to the young gent, I hope he was not ordered to wear that suit.. 

I workout in a gym 4-5 times a week and I still cannot understand how some people in that place prefer to have the fans turned off! I would ideally like air-con but to want to exercise with no air flow at all in this climate, nope I always blast them on

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Yes totally ineffective even counter productive.. you don't burn more energy in a suit like this.. less maybe because you can't go full out. Sweating does not equate burning fat. 

4 hours ago, jabis said:

RIP young talent!

To @SpokaneAl in your yout you don't necessarily register the fatigue, but as we are talking about a recognized muay thai fighter, my bets are somewhere else.

Please keep on topic on this, yet another, tragic loss and stop the "columbo act" when you have nothing to bring into the table. At least show some respect.

Whoa. He raised a valid point and an important one at that.

Show respect? For what? Pointing out a sham, a demonstration of what happens to  many people who participate in an unsupervised and unregulated industry? Yes, it is an industry. In any given year,  people train at gyms which are neither safe, nor  staffed by qualified muay thai trainers. They end up seriously injured, some crippled for life and others dead, like this kid.

No sane competent  trainer would ever allow, let alone encourage the use of a sweat suit. No  responsible trainer allows a  fighter to train when injured or mentally impaired. Unfortunately, it happens all too often at these gyms.  There is a big big difference between the professional quality muay thai training establishments and the let's set up a business on the outskirts of  XXXX and charge tens of thousands of baht and  feed the  suckers bogus stories about Thai fighting skills, and put them in cute little costumes etc.  

I have seen a real muay thai training facility and the foreign students at them. These people are closely supervised, have a buddy system, have access to qualified trainers and coaches etc. I have also seen some of the questionable gyms in Phuket.  We all have to take responsibility for our own actions, but there is also a need to discourage dishonest  people from exploiting the vulnerable. The muay thai business is like bungee jumping  operations. Set them up and don't do anything until someone dies in spectacular fashion. Make some noise and then back to business.

4 hours ago, jabis said:

RIP young talent!

Why is the poster off topic?

17 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

So was he drinking enough water?

The thing is, it's not just water you have to consume when working out like this, you have to replace the Electrolytes you lose when training as well.

Although dehydration does cause death, the far greater majority is from not keeping the body in homeostasis, and having major organs failing due to loss of minerals and nutrients, and no way for your body to replace them.

RIP to the young man

1 hour ago, akirasan said:

That's the whole idea of them..you cut the last bit of water weight by sweating excessively before you weigh in then you can get it back between the weigh-in and the fight.  

I agree, this is what they do before being weighed for a boxingmatch.

But i see Thai running in warm clothes all year, even when it's 34 celcius and they are not even boxers. My friend also likes to do it while he is not fat at all and even no boxer.

Sad that this boy died from it, i hope all sporters learn from this case. Also i would like to know what the purpose of this extreme sweating is in the Thai vision cause i don't understand it at all.

2 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

The thing is, it's not just water you have to consume when working out like this, you have to replace the Electrolytes you lose when training as well.

Although dehydration does cause death, the far greater majority is from not keeping the body in homeostasis, and having major organs failing due to loss of minerals and nutrients, and no way for your body to replace them.

RIP to the young man

I also wonder at what temperature the body just stops functioning well.. above 40 celcius bodytemperature it's called a  fever and getting very dangerous.

Guess this boy was not warned for the dangers so his trainers should be questioned about why he did this.

RIP to the young man

Good advice, I didnt know that. Time to add some to the water.

RIP fella

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Whoa. He raised a valid point and an important one at that.

Show respect? For what? Pointing out a sham, a demonstration of what happens to  many people who participate in an unsupervised and unregulated industry? Yes, it is an industry. In any given year,  people train at gyms which are neither safe, nor  staffed by qualified muay thai trainers. They end up seriously injured, some crippled for life and others dead, like this kid.

No sane competent  trainer would ever allow, let alone encourage the use of a sweat suit. No  responsible trainer allows a  fighter to train when injured or mentally impaired. Unfortunately, it happens all too often at these gyms.  There is a big big difference between the professional quality muay thai training establishments and the let's set up a business on the outskirts of  XXXX and charge tens of thousands of baht and  feed the  suckers bogus stories about Thai fighting skills, and put them in cute little costumes etc.  

I have seen a real muay thai training facility and the foreign students at them. These people are closely supervised, have a buddy system, have access to qualified trainers and coaches etc. I have also seen some of the questionable gyms in Phuket.  We all have to take responsibility for our own actions, but there is also a need to discourage dishonest  people from exploiting the vulnerable. The muay thai business is like bungee jumping  operations. Set them up and don't do anything until someone dies in spectacular fashion. Make some noise and then back to business.

for my understanding and after I met and spoke with some fighters about their training routines and practises I came to the conclusion that muay thai is  slow suicide...

This is a very sad story and RIP Jordan. I was speaking about this the other day when we drove part a boxer running in the sweat top only. It was a ridiculously hot day and you could see he was struggling. Losing water weight is easy. Eat the CORE of a pineapple and you’ll piss like a racehorse all day and drop any excess water you have. Natural diabetics are always the best way to go.  This is a STUPID old habit that has been around for Centuries.  Very sad news!

Scottish Muay Thai boxer dies during exercise to reduce weight for fight with Cambodian boxer in Korat

216_Boxing.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Scottish "Muay Thai" boxer trained in Thailand's boxing camp in Ubon Ratchathani province died Saturday from heatstroke while doing his exercise at noon.

The Scottish Muay Thai boxer Jordan Donald, 21, was scheduled to fight a Cambodian boxer on Sunday night in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) and was expected to return to Scotland in the summer to fight at the Glasgow Thai Boxing Academy.

Jordan or known by Thai boxing fans as “Jom Serng” (I-sarn dancing king) trained at Lam Nam Moon boxing camp in Ubon Ratchathani was found dead in a heavy tracksuit yesterday.

His Thai trainer Kritchai Kritnok told Po Klang police in Korat that Jordan went to exercise in a heavy suit on Saturday in bid to reduce his weight by three kilogrammes to 61 kilogrammes to prepare for Sunday fight in Korat.

However he disappeared and couldn’t be found throughout the night.

He was later found dead the next morning, believed to be died from heatstroke.

Police said however that his body was sent to Maharaj hospital for autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

But initially police and his trainer said heatstroke might be a strong possible cause.

His trainer Krit said Jordan was well-known as Jom Serng as he always would perform I-sarn traditional dance and blow “Kan” bamboo musical instrument before each Muay Thai fight.

He had fought in Muay Thai for over 70 times, the Thai camp manager Kukrit Kamolrit said.

According to The Guardian, he was found dead in a heavy tracksuit and is believed to have been trying to reach a certain weight for a professional fight.

The boxer, from Maddiston, Falkirk, was a professional Muay Thai boxer and trained at a gym in Glasgow before moving to Thailand.

Craig Floan, his  coach at Glasgow Thai Boxing Academy, said he was found dead on Sunday and that it is believed he died from heatstroke.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/scottish-muay-thai-boxer-dies-exercise-reduce-weight-fight-cambodian-boxer-korat/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-27

Sad news, I sparred with him a couple of times when he was still based in Phuket and he was surely talented at what he did. His last post on his FB page reads he was following his dreams...

RIP

I know he has had trouble making weight in the past several times and it seems this time he had to push the envelope too far.

P.s. sad to read the comments here of people who give their opinion on how to cut water weight without any experience in fighting, training fighters, etc. If it was really as simple as eating the core of a pineapple you should wonder how you know about it while thousands of well-paid coaches of olympic ahtletes, fighters, and trainers don't know about it. Maybe its because you are sprouting BS?

Archived