BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

British Muay Thai boxer, 19, died 'from heat stroke after 'training in sweat suit to lose weight'

British Muay Thai boxer, 19, died 'from heat stroke after 'training in sweat suit to lose weight'

BYABIGAIL O'LEARY

mt.jpg

Jordan was described as an "inspiration" in the Muay Thai boxing community (Photo: Internet Unknown)

Tributes have been paid to Jordan Coe who was found dead in the Muang district of Bangkok, Thailand, on Sunday where was competing in the popular sport

BANGKOK: -- A British Muay Thai boxer has died after reportedly training in a heavy sweat suit in order to lose weight for an upcoming fight.

Described as a "gentleman inside and out", Jordan Coe, 19, from Maddiston near Falkirk, Scotland, was said to be training for a fight in which he needed to weigh 61 kilograms.

The Scottish boxer was found dead on Sunday by Thai police in the Muang district of Bangkok.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-muay-thai-boxer-19-10104025

-- Mirror 2017-03-27

I run regularly here and often see people wearing those suits during even the hottest times of the year. Those suits were proven to be dangerous and ineffective decades ago. Any weight lost is just water which is quickly replaced. Of course I often see Thai people running with more clothes on than I would wear in the dead of a North American winter.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

RIP young talent!

To @SpokaneAl in your yout you don't necessarily register the fatigue, but as we are talking about a recognized muay thai fighter, my bets are somewhere else.

Please keep on topic on this, yet another, tragic loss and stop the "columbo act" when you have nothing to bring into the table. At least show some respect.

Very toned body already from the photos, 

(another 3 kg) would be hard to keep the loss,

next weight division maybe,

R.I.P.

Tributes paid to boxer Jordan Coe who died in Thailand

Tributes have been paid to a Scottish Muay Thai boxer who has died in Thailand.

Jordan Coe, 20, is reported to have been found dead in a heavy tracksuit after failing to return to his hotel.

It has prompted speculation that the professional athlete, who is originally from Maddiston near Falkirk, died of heatstroke.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39400250

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-03-27

Its the dangers of weight cut before the match. Some fighters has to lose alot of weight to fight in a certain well below weight class to gain advantage. 

I think there have to be some rules like a fighter cannot fight more than 10 pounds below their actual weight to ensure a safe n healthy weight cut before the fight.

Scottish Muay Thai boxer dies while training in Thailand

Shane Hickey and agencies

Jordan Coe, 20, from Falkirk – who was preparing for a professional fight – may have died from heatstroke, said his coach

A Scottish boxer has died in Thailand of suspected heatstroke. Jordan Coe, 20, was found dead in a heavy tracksuit and is believed to have been trying to reach a certain weight for a professional fight.

The boxer, from Maddiston, Falkirk, was a professional Muay Thai boxer and trained at a gym in Glasgow before moving to Thailand.

Craig Floan, Coe’s coach at Glasgow Thai Boxing Academy, said he was found dead on Sunday and that it is believed he died from heatstroke. 

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/26/scottish-boxer-dies-while-training-in-thailand

-- The Guardian2017-03-27

Otherwise healthy young people doing a lot of training and sweating too much lose a lot of Magnesium causing a deficiency. Magnesium deficiency is directly related to muscle cramps, and a familiar cause of heart failure or heart attacks. If you're going to 'sweat it out' make sure you top it up. Common in hot countries.

2 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Any weight lost is just water which is quickly replaced. 

That's the whole idea of them..you cut the last bit of water weight by sweating excessively before you weigh in then you can get it back between the weigh-in and the fight.  

56 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

Is he 19 or 20?

Thats just as conflicting as the reports. 

dose it matter the poor lads dead. RIP champ

Sad.  If you are not use to living in this

heat you should research the importance 

to stay hydrated....trying to make weight

in this BKK heat will easily cause a heat

stroke if you are not hydrated.

'The Isaan dancer' Scottish Muay Thai boxer dies in Nakhon Ratchasima
By The Nation

013fef88e46b38dd83a9bf9b546fb8c3.jpeg

Jordan Coe (photo from his Facebook wall).

BANGKOK: -- A well-known Scottish Muay Thai boxer was found dead in sweat suit in Nakhon Ratchasima Sunday afternoon apparently because of heat stroke, police said.

Jordan Coe, 20, was preparing to have a charity fight in Nakhon Ratchaisma Sunday evening before his body was found. Police have sent the body was an autopsy.

Kritchai Kritnok, Coe’s trainer, told police that he last saw the Scottish boxer in tight clothes with sweat suit on top running at noon Saturday to try to reduce his weight by 3 kilogrammes. But the boxer did not return to his resort, the trainer said.

Coe was found dead on the open ground in front of Bang Saphan Hin resort at 2:45 pm Sunday.

Coe belonged to the Lamnammoon Muay Thai camp in Ubon Ratchathani.

The camp’s owner, Kuekrit Kamolrit, 44, said Coe was popular thanked to his good performance and his Isaan dance to please the audience. He has fought 14 bouts and was beaten just one during the past year.

He had an alias of the jom serng (the Isaan stye dancer) because he liked to dance and played kaen (Isaan traditional wind instrument) before each fight.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310379

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-27

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I run regularly here and often see people wearing those suits during even the hottest times of the year. Those suits were proven to be dangerous and ineffective decades ago. Any weight lost is just water which is quickly replaced. Of course I often see Thai people running with more clothes on than I would wear in the dead of a North American winter.

Yes, I often see people packed in thick running suits with their hoods up, running in the midday sun.

I used to belong to a running club and  train for marathons in Europe, and one of the things that was stressed to us was NOT to cover the whole head in the summer months, but wear a thin cap, in order to prevent heatstroke. That was in 20 to 25 degrees.

I think something like 30% of the body heat escapes through the head.

Tragic. If you are exercising vigorously in this country you must drink fluid almost constantly. He died in the same way as the 3 SAS soldiers during summer training in Wales a couple of years ago, fluids not being replaced leading to the body core temperature rising to critical levels.  Strength and fitness is no protection. 

Wearing a sweat suit here is playing with fire, and certainly has zero health benefits.