British Muay Thai boxer, 19, died 'from heat stroke after 'training in sweat suit to lose weight'

webfact

4 hours ago, akirasan said:

That's the whole idea of them..you cut the last bit of water weight by sweating excessively before you weigh in then you can get it back between the weigh-in and the fight.  

But It puts your  body under huge stress, as demonstrated here.

Jockeys have been doing this, and dying, since the beginning of racing.

51 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

This is a very sad story and RIP Jordan. I was speaking about this the other day when we drove part a boxer running in the sweat top only. It was a ridiculously hot day and you could see he was struggling. Losing water weight is easy. Eat the CORE of a pineapple and you’ll piss like a racehorse all day and drop any excess water you have. Natural diabetics are always the best way to go.  This is a STUPID old habit that has been around for Centuries.  Very sad news!

51 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

This is a very sad story and RIP Jordan. I was speaking about this the other day when we drove part a boxer running in the sweat top only. It was a ridiculously hot day and you could see he was struggling. Losing water weight is easy. Eat the CORE of a pineapple and you’ll piss like a racehorse all day and drop any excess water you have. Natural diabetics are always the best way to go.  This is a STUPID old habit that has been around for Centuries.  Very sad news!

Natural 'diuretics' also!

This type of short term weight loss isn't uncommon, but it does need to be done with careful monitoring. So many young men think 'I'll be ok', I'll drink a little when I get thirsty, and still make weight'. The problem as previously stated regarding an electrolyte imbalance can be fatal because by the time you're thirsty there isn't enough time for recovery.  It's an avoidable mistake and tragic that it happened. Hopefully the training facility will either have a seasoned physician on hand to monitor this training tactic or ban the use of the suits. It just isn't worth anyone else losing their life.

This type of short term weight loss isn't uncommon, but it does need to be done with careful monitoring. So many young men think 'I'll be ok', I'll drink a little when I get thirsty, and still make weight'. The problem as previously stated regarding an electrolyte imbalance can be fatal because by the time you're thirsty there isn't enough time for recovery.  It's an avoidable mistake and tragic that it happened. Hopefully the training facility will either have a seasoned physician on hand to monitor this training tactic or ban the use of the suits. It just isn't worth anyone else losing their life.

The article stated that Jordan was attempting to loose three kilograms. That seems like a huge amount of weight to drop short term via sweating. A very dangerous, scary plan.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

59 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

The article stated that Jordan was attempting to loose three kilograms. That seems like a huge amount of weight to drop short term via sweating. A very dangerous, scary plan.
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Did you understand my post?  Or do you need further embellishment? 

3 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

"Natural diabetics are always the best way to go.  This is a STUPID old habit that has been around for Centuries"

Unbelievable, words of a typical Thaivisa expert!

3 kg doesn't seem like a lot, but it comes from fluid in the body.

He doesn't look like a big lad, guessing about 65 kg.  About 70% of our weight comprises fluid/water (in some form), so he would be losing 3 kgs from 45 kgs (not 65!) almost 7%, so not an unexpected result.

I recall when I was running, in the tropics many years ago, 35 degrees, 95% humidity, losing not much over a kilo, and couldn't think straight, terrible headache, not much above delirious, and I was 75 kgs.

Very Sad, R.I.P. As I've mentioned on relevant threads before, we are all different and what works for me is necessarily going to work for others. I am about 65/66 kg and my workout routine keeps about that level...providing I eat a couple of vegetable salads a week and don't over indulge at other times. Once I did go up to about 69/70 kg because I did overeat on Thai food but even increasing the salads and stepping up on fruit, it took me ages to get to back to my norm. Thai humidity also takes a toll on one's metabolism and sweating it out all in one go is questionable. But to die like that, and so young...a great shame. 

The problem with wearing those sweat suits is aside from your hands and head...about 90% of the pores on your body are covered and they can't breathe properly...so in this case he basically suffocated himself

Very sad story. My thoughts are with his family.

Sadly cutting weight goes with this sport, when I fight I never cut more than 5kg, and sweat suits do help by the way, and are used frequently as are saunas and other such things. Water weight is still weight and at the end of the day as long as you are on weight for the fight that all that matters. 

Haha I wish eating pineapple was as effective as running in a sweat suit, but it isn't. 

Lots of nonsense being spouted by people who clearly know nothing of fighting or fight training. 

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Very Sad, R.I.P. As I've mentioned on relevant threads before, we are all different and what works for me is necessarily going to work for others. I am about 65/66 kg and my workout routine keeps about that level...providing I eat a couple of vegetable salads a week and don't over indulge at other times. Once I did go up to about 69/70 kg because I did overeat on Thai food but even increasing the salads and stepping up on fruit, it took me ages to get to back to my norm. Thai humidity also takes a toll on one's metabolism and sweating it out all in one go is questionable. But to die like that, and so young...a great shame. 

Fruit is high in fructose. The liver converts fructose directly into body fat.  BTW it's the carbs that fatten. According the Human Physiology, (Vander, Sherman & Luciano),  Ch.5.  Energy & Cell Metabolism.. Digested carbs 1st top up the  liver and muscle glycogen stores, the rest rapidly converts to body fat in the cells' mitochondria via the Krebs Cycle.  You should have enjoyed your fried eggs in butter and fatty steaks with no carbs after your 3 cardios a week  and no carbs for dinner.

7 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Sad news, I sparred with him a couple of times when he was still based in Phuket and he was surely talented at what he did. His last post on his FB page reads he was following his dreams...

RIP

I know he has had trouble making weight in the past several times and it seems this time he had to push the envelope too far.

P.s. sad to read the comments here of people who give their opinion on how to cut water weight without any experience in fighting, training fighters, etc. If it was really as simple as eating the core of a pineapple you should wonder how you know about it while thousands of well-paid coaches of olympic ahtletes, fighters, and trainers don't know about it. Maybe its because you are sprouting BS?

Serious mate.  Before you call anything BS you should try it. As for the 'well paid' fighters they are just passing on OLD BAD habits. The Clothing Companies just take the money.  Do you really think dropping 3kg over night to make weight for a Fight is something 'well paid' coaches and 'Olympic' athletes do. I think NOT mate!  Open your mind!

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No sane competent  trainer would ever allow, let alone encourage the use of a sweat suit. No  responsible trainer allows a  fighter to train when injured or mentally impaired. Unfortunately, it happens all too often at these gyms.  There is a big big difference between the professional quality muay thai training establishments and the let's set up a business on the outskirts of  XXXX and charge tens of thousands of baht and  feed the  suckers bogus stories about Thai fighting skills, and put them in cute little costumes etc.  

I have seen a real muay thai training facility and the foreign students at them. These people are closely supervised, have a buddy system, have access to qualified trainers and coaches etc. I have also seen some of the questionable gyms in Phuket.  We all have to take responsibility for our own actions, but there is also a need to discourage dishonest  people from exploiting the vulnerable. The muay thai business is like bungee jumping  operations. Set them up and don't do anything until someone dies in spectacular fashion. Make some noise and then back to business.

Every single professional gym in Thailand uses the same system to make weight before the fights, they will spend the last couple of days doing runs in sweatsuits and then re hydrate straight after the weigh in, go to Lumpini or Ratchadamnern stadium and they have shows every day of the year and you will see pretty much every fighter on the card running in a sweatsuit before the weigh in starts at 7 am. It has been done this way for decades every day of the year all over Thailand, by all the top professional gyms as a last attempt to get the boxer a bit lower in weight, not just in Thailand, but worldwide and not just in Muaythai, MMA another example.

Jordan was doing what he has done many times before, but this time something tragically went wrong, whether it was due to something underlying medically? the extreme heat at that time of day, in Khorat? until there has been a full autopsy then its hard to say.

23 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Serious mate.  Before you call anything BS you should try it. As for the 'well paid' fighters they are just passing on OLD BAD habits. The Clothing Companies just take the money.  Do you really think dropping 3kg over night to make weight for a Fight is something 'well paid' coaches and 'Olympic' athletes do. I think NOT mate!  Open your mind

Professional boxing, Muaythai, wrestling even at high school level, MMA worldwide it is done this way, rightly or wrongly. Maybe hes not the one that needs to open their mind.

3 hours ago, TomTC said:

Fruit is high in fructose. The liver converts fructose directly into body fat.  BTW it's the carbs that fatten. According the Human Physiology, (Vander, Sherman & Luciano),  Ch.5.  Energy & Cell Metabolism.. Digested carbs 1st top up the  liver and muscle glycogen stores, the rest rapidly converts to body fat in the cells' mitochondria via the Krebs Cycle.  You should have enjoyed your fried eggs in butter and fatty steaks with no carbs after your 3 cardios a week  and no carbs for dinner.

Not quite correct, whilst fructose does get converted into lipids in the liver, it does not convert to body fat, but instead causes a fatty liver (in this case nonalcoholic fatty liver disease), which in turn blocks the release of leptin (appetite hormon that tells you wheb your hungry and when you have eaten enough) causing people to over eat and under exercise.

Again again, your almost correct about the use of carbs as energy (complex carbs), which first gets converted to ATP as your bodies energy source for brain first and then cells, then what ever is left over is either stored in the liver and muscles (and in smaller quantities brain, kidneys and red blood cells).

Interestingly enough, muscle glycogen can only be used by Muscle tissue, where as liver glycogen when converted back to glucose can be used by the whole body including organs and tissues..

Professional boxing, Muaythai, wrestling even at high school level, MMA worldwide it is done this way, rightly or wrongly. Maybe hes not the one that needs to open their mind.

No no no, they are just stuck in old things. They could just as well just eat the core of a pineapple with the same effects. Mayweather earns millions per fight but all his money couldn't get him the pineapple knowledge... same for every high class athlete... all it takes is the core of a pineapple....

(Just to be clear; that was sarcasm. There is a reason people lose water weight this way, fully knowing its dangerous. The core of a pineapple will not have the same results)

Serious mate.  Before you call anything BS you should try it. As for the 'well paid' fighters they are just passing on OLD BAD habits. The Clothing Companies just take the money.  Do you really think dropping 3kg over night to make weight for a Fight is something 'well paid' coaches and 'Olympic' athletes do. I think NOT mate!  Open your mind!

Do you have anything to back up your knowledge how olympic athletes cut weight?
A quick google search will show thousands of sources of people using sweatsuits and dehydration while none mentions the core of a pineapple.

Maybe you should THINK less and research more.

16 hours ago, TomTC said:

Yes, I aware of the biochemical reactions etc. and I have never eaten large steaks anyway. My father told me 'always leave the table a little hungry' and I have found that a reasonable virtue. But as I said before, metabolisms are different in may ways...some people 'burn' fat away easily others don't and you have to be aware of what you are and where you were born. World wide people have different layers under their skin and even skin varies from place to place. Rate of acclimatization also varies from person to person.

23 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

No no no, they are just stuck in old things. They could just as well just eat the core of a pineapple with the same effects. Mayweather earns millions per fight but all his money couldn't get him the pineapple knowledge... same for every high class athlete... all it takes is the core of a pineapple....

You know when I was younger and fighting here, I did used to think to myself..well these traditions are all well and good, but imagine how the sport would be if they took a more scientific approach.  

Archived