Farang shames Thais - repairing road just a stone's throw from the airport!

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it?... there is always some sanctimonious munchkin who tries to turn a positive into a negative and cry 'work permit' when someone goes out of their way to help... 

Good on the guy for fixing an issue... 

He is an interfering old fool who should mind his own business.

As these road repairs do not fall under the jurisdiction of the local authority, any accidents on that stretch of road whether due to his repairs or not, he could be held responsible.  Someone must have taken that photo, which means this is about publicity. If anyone tried that in the UK without being officially contracted by the council would be arrested because there are guidelines for undertaking road repairs as any amateur botch up jobs could do more harm than good.  This guy could also be billed if the local authority have to make good his work.

Westerners come here expecting the same standards as they get in their own countries, the big Farlang showing the backward Thais how to run their own country. Shaming does not work in Thailand and this type of making lose face will see this guy heading for a whole load of trouble.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

As the images appeared on Facebook they asked why the authorities were not stepping in to repair the road.

....because the committee set up to look at the problem have not yet decided what action to take...and as such have formed a sub-committee to review the findings of the initial committee before making their recommendations...which then have to be approved by Head Office in Bangkok....that's why...

The headline is also shameful -- and on the verge of being racist IMHO.

You are taking an individual action and equating it to all farang actions.  You are taking Thai municipal/government inaction and equating it to all Thai actions.  First, from a foreign language service farang is rather a big over generalization -- not to mention the fact that 99%+ of all "farangs" would have taken no action.... Not exactly what the title seems to be inferring.  

I lived in a township (30,000+, city regional 100,000+) and had at least one major road that was in as poor of condition as many roads here.... In fact I had a severe concussion because of bicycling down the road, and I had another friend killed along the same strip because cars would have to weave back and forth to avoid potholes (new and old).   It was probably in that state for a good 15+ years....  because it was never a municipal priority.

After reading some of the post from foreigners bad mouthing this guy and attempting to tell him HOW to do the repairs, I realize the reason that I left the west seventeen years ago! it was to get away from these pompus asses!  since I have been here I very seldom talk to westerners, I have nothing to do with them and their crying and bad mouthing the country that they came to! my contact with anyone not asian is limited to "if I have to" and i must admit my blood pressure has gone down and I am much more at peace.

24 minutes ago, captspectre said:

After reading some of the post from foreigners bad mouthing this guy and attempting to tell him HOW to do the repairs, I realize the reason that I left the west seventeen years ago! it was to get away from these pompus asses!  since I have been here I very seldom talk to westerners, I have nothing to do with them and their crying and bad mouthing the country that they came to! my contact with anyone not asian is limited to "if I have to" and i must admit my blood pressure has gone down and I am much more at peace.

Your comment reeks of arrogance.

That`s all well and good, but it should work both ways. If you consider yourself a class above other westerners then go the whole hog and keep yourself to yourself and lets not hear from you, that is your choice. But the OP guy is giving himself publicity by meddling into affairs that he has no authority to take matters into his own hands and it`s not a matter of telling him how to do the repairs, it`s a case of he shouldn`t be making the repairs at all and like you better to keep himself to himself.

We don`t need westerners coming here with their bias opinions who seem to be locked into their own no man`s land believing that their ways are the right ways and everyone else is a pompous ass, as you put it  The only person who appears pompous is you.

The problem is The most dirty 4 letter word to Thais people is WORK Half the country does not work Look around and look at the men doing nothing He probly got sick of those holes after 12 months being there Good on you mate for shaming them

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it?... there is always some sanctimonious munchkin who tries to turn a positive into a negative and cry 'work permit' when someone goes out of their way to help... 

Good on the guy for fixing an issue... 

It was illegal and dangerous.

Illegal because he required a work permit and dangerous because  road asphalt is of a different consistency and quality  than the local fixit cement. The cement he used is not intended for roads and will quickly disintegrate and  crumble into dust.

Where I live 3 of Us Farang trimmed bushes, hauled down .. . all garbage , tied the ropes, maintained trails,and swept stairs up the 1,000 ft Mtn .  It so shamed some that they closed the MTN except for Holidays. Used to do it everyday and was in GREAT shape. Nothing we asked ,promised and begged would change their minds. Finished forever and We were doing it for ALL with NO fanfare nor complaining.

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

The cold tar and gravel patch mix they use here in Thailand turns to mush in the first rain.

Last Spring here in Pattaya I watched a road repair supervisor gently pushing his shovel through an area of wet cold tar and gravel patch that had been applied only a couple of days before.  Using only one hand he peeled it up like icing off a cake.

What will work is using a hot tar & gravel mix then pounding it down until it is solid, but that is too much like work and since it lasts it would mean the end of being paid to "fix" the problem over and over again.

You can get good cold patch at some hardware stores. Just because we live in Thailand doesn't mean we have to settle for their methods.

If shame is what it takes to get people to do something simple so be it!  Bravo Bravo, if it save one life it is worth the shaming! 

The biggest problem there is plenty to go around in Thailand. Instead of feeling shame get off your butts and go help the guy. The government got people so use to being walk all over they just accept it instead of helping and complaining sooner.  Not bashing just fact what is going on here.

Archived