Farang shames Thais - repairing road just a stone's throw from the airport!

webfact

6 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Hope for the foreigner that no accident will happen on that fixed road ...

Why would his repairs cause an accident? :post-4641-1156693976:

More likely for an accident when going through the pot holed road he fixed...!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

It cost M.O.N.E.Y.

If it's anything like the money for the repairs to an incinerator at a certain garbage dump, the money has already been allocated but, surprise, surprise - it ain't there any more!

29 minutes ago, yooyoo said:

Why would his repairs cause an accident? :post-4641-1156693976:

More likely for an accident when going through the pot holed road he fixed...!

Ah, but TIT! "If farang not do bad job of fixing road, accident not happen" Same as the farang is always to blame in any accident! The logic behind this well known bit of "Thainess" is that "if the farang hadn't been here in the first place, the accident wouldn't have happened"!  

3 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

The cold tar and gravel patch mix they use here in Thailand turns to mush in the first rain.

Last Spring here in Pattaya I watched a road repair supervisor gently pushing his shovel through an area of wet cold tar and gravel patch that had been applied only a couple of days before.  Using only one hand he peeled it up like icing off a cake.

What will work is using a hot tar & gravel mix then pounding it down until it is solid, but that is too much like work and since it lasts it would mean the end of being paid to "fix" the problem over and over again.

Seems to be a method to their madness. 

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

Same as the farang is always to blame in any accident- The logic behind this well known bit of "Thainess" is that "if the farang hadn't been here in the first place, the accident wouldn't have happened"!  

Which is all a load of crap, which keeps getting spouded by ppl that don't have a clue, so just keep repeating the uneducated mantra because they have nothing better to say.

Can he really be arrested for doing free labor?  I had figured the "Thai only" labor law was just about taking paying jobs from Thais, not preventing people from doing anything useful at all.  Am I wrong?  

Yes remember or go look up the 2004 Indian ocean Tsunami "volunteers"

12 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes remember or go look up the 2004 Indian ocean Tsunami "volunteers"

I looked around a bit and was unable to find any information about people being arrested for helping in the 2004 tsunami in Thailand.  Do you have a link?  

Thanks

18 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

Which is all a load of crap, which keeps getting spouded by ppl that don't have a clue, so just keep repeating the uneducated mantra because they have nothing better to say.

No, it's not a load of crap - although it would appear to be possibly a bit of an exaggeration! Even the Thai friends that I know make jokes about it always being the farang's fault if something goes wrong.

I do "have a clue"  that in many of the accidents involving farangs, the BIB seem more intent on blaming the farang no matter whose fault it was, because the farang is more likely to have the money to pay for any damages etc. And before you say "load of crap" again, I know for a fact of an accident where a farang on a motor bike was hit from behind by a Thai while attempting a right hand turn. He told the officer at the scene that he had his indicator on, and the officer said "Oh no you didn't", and immediately went to his bike and switched the indicator off!!

1 minute ago, sambum said:

No, it's not a load of crap - although it would appear to be possibly a bit of an exaggeration! Even the Thai friends that I know make jokes about it always being the farang's fault if something goes wrong.

I do "have a clue"  that in many of the accidents involving farangs, the BIB seem more intent on blaming the farang no matter whose fault it was, because the farang is more likely to have the money to pay for any damages etc. And before you say "load of crap" again, I know for a fact of an accident where a farang on a motor bike was hit from behind while attempting a right hand turn. He told the officer at the scene that he had his indicator on, and the officer said "Oh no you didn't", and immediately went to his bike and switched the indicator off!!

While anecdotes abound in this direction, it also seems suspicious that you don't hear anyone here talking about opposite thing where a Thai cop takes the side of a farang in a traffic dispute.  Seems like strong evidence to me assuming not everyone here is just blindly hating on Thais.  

5 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I looked around a bit and was unable to find any information about people being arrested for helping in the 2004 tsunami in Thailand.  Do you have a link?  

Thanks

Just Google "Tsunami volunteers in Thailand needed work permits?" and you'll see plenty of links.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Farang shames Thais - repairing road just a stone's throw from the airport!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

PHUKET: -- Manager reported that online Thais were ashamed after seeing pictures of a western man repairing the road in Phuket.

He had got out his wheelbarrow, spade and cement just three kilometers from Phuket International Airport.

Fed up with the state of the road in Mai Khao district the unnamed man, aged about 50, was mixing the cement and filling in about ten potholes near his house.

Manager said Thais were embarrassed and ashamed that it had come to this. And in a place regarded as a top tourist destination to boot.

As the images appeared on Facebook they asked why the authorities were not stepping in to repair the road.

They said the pictures appeared on a page called "FF Phor Kha Look Chin Ping".

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-27

i hope he has a work permit

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It was illegal and dangerous.

Illegal because he required a work permit and dangerous because  road asphalt is of a different consistency and quality  than the local fixit cement. The cement he used is not intended for roads and will quickly disintegrate and  crumble into dust.

And then the authorities will come and fix it "properly"! :cheesy: We have a side road here outside a hotel that gets the tarred road repairs washed away every year ( at least once - dependent on rainfall) that I have lived here (12 years)

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

The problem is that teaching by showing is not working. 

They love you showing it and doing it,praising that it looks nice and all the crap.but doing it themselves,No that means work,that is a dirty 4 letter word.

14 minutes ago, sambum said:

Just Google "Tsunami volunteers in Thailand needed work permits?" and you'll see plenty of links.

Thanks I did so and the stories I read as a result were disgusting.  Jesus Christ what is wrong with this place?  

1 hour ago, the guest said:

Given the current climate, it is insensitive to post pictures of foreigners engaging in work otherwise reserved for Thais. The law is very clear. 

It`s not just work reserved for Thais, it is also work reserved for those employed or contracted by the local authority and this applies the world over.

Private individuals cannot do work on public walkways and roads. These are the responsibility of the local authority that have to follow government guidelines when completing the works.  In-fact unauthorised persons meddling with public paths and roads are probably committing criminal acts. Members of the public must take their complaints directly to the local authority in the areas they live or present a petition by other residents in the area if they want to put pressure on to have works carried out. That`s the way it`s normally done even if some feel the system is too complicated for them. 

RE; The Tsunami WP issue, from google I found the following article clip from some forum:

Foreign helpers hear they need work permits 
PENCHAN CHAROENSUTHIPAN 

More than 1,000 foreign volunteers from about 25 countries helping tsunami survivors rebuild shattered lives were outraged yesterday to hear they face legal action by the Labour Ministry unless they have a work permit.

Sombat Boonngam-anong, director of the Chiang Rai-based Krajok Ngao Foundation, said confusion and anger reigned among the foreign volunteers at Khao Lak in Phangnga's Takua Pa district when a Labour Ministry official told a local English-language newspaper that they were required to register with the ministry for a work permit otherwise legal action would be taken against them starting March 1.

The official was reported as saying that although the volunteers were not earning any money, they were still required to have a work permit.

''The report has also appeared on websites, causing panic among the volunteers. They are now asking what they should do next. We can't get the right answers for them,'' Mr Sombat said.

Labour Ministry officials, after the interview was published, also went to their living quarters, raising more concern among the volunteers.

''If a volunteer is arrested, we will fight hard to have him freed. What's the point in getting them registered?

''As several thousand have come on a rotational basis, this would only make their work difficult,'' said Mr Sombat.

He suggested that the cabinet pass a resolution to relax some legal requirements to facilitate the volunteers' work.

Senator Kraisak Choonhavan, chairman of the Senate foreign affairs committee, expressed concern over the matter. He said the volunteerswere are not only helping the tsunami victims but also promoting tourism and bringing in donations.

''The Labour Ministry is not doing the right thing by treating them like alien workers. This will only lead to criticism by the international community,'' he said.

He sent a letter to the Labour Ministry opposing the move, he said, and was told by Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong's secretary that as far as he knew the ministry had no such policy.

This is not about the work permit. The man has probably no knowledge on street building and apparently used common cement for the repair. 

This is comparable (in a minor scale) to someone without a medical degree taking over an abandoned hospital and starting to perform diagnosis and surgeries on patients using inappropriate procedures and tools.

1 minute ago, FarangFB said:

This is not about the work permit. The man has probably no knowledge on street building and apparently used common cement for the repair. 

This is comparable (in a minor scale) to someone without a medical degree taking over an abandoned hospital and starting to perform diagnosis and surgeries on patients using inappropriate procedures and tools.

Thank you, exactly. Now maybe some will understand.

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Should be using a cold tar patch mix. That concrete won't last long.

But good for him for doing it.

Quiet the contrary the cold patch  will not last long as it washes by wear quickly. There is nothing to bind it. The concrete patch will work better. I watch the cold patches here and in about 3 months they are out.

5 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Thank you, exactly. Now maybe some will understand.

Actually it is about both, but I agree with the analogy from technical point of view :) The stinger with WP is the definition, and has, every now and then, been used against people in the past.
The definition from Department of Employment:

“Alien” means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality; “ Work ” means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

Whether it will or will not be held against him - I guess it's up to the local administration, now they, at least, have to investigate whether the patches he made are adequate, and if not he could be held responsible monetarily to redo them.

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Should be using a cold tar patch mix. That concrete won't last long.

But good for him for doing it.

Why would he want to patch the road with better material than the road is made of? He will end up with mushrooms of patch where the rest of the road has worn away.  As you say, good for him for getting off his ass and doing it, glad that it seems to shame a few people down their, maybe they can pitch in and lend a hand.

19 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Thanks I did so and the stories I read as a result were disgusting.  Jesus Christ what is wrong with this place?  

Now that's a question that might take a bit of time to answer!!! (Piece of string?)

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

is funny because westerners like to fix concrete roads with tar mix and tar roads with concrete. this makes 3 guys in a row using the wrong material. should probably leave it up to the professionals.  better he puts plants in the holes. makes for a better photo opportunity.

if only you'd been there ??

Archived