"New" taxi queuing system at Don Mueang airport

UTH001

This morning at Don Mueang airport: Arrived at 8.15am, and went straight to the taxi area. On the way there, the monitor in the arrivals hall showed no people standing at the taxi counters. I was hopeful (all looked very modern and nice), but little did I know... At the entrance to the waiting area, a staff handed me a queuing number (like at the Post Office), #120. Three counters open, and serving #72, #74 and #75. All very all slow moving,  no number announcements are made and it takes some people forever to get to the counters. After 10 minutes, I gave up (by then, not even up to #80), went straight upstairs to the departure area and got a taxi immediately. Advantage? Taxi driver does not have to wait for up to three hours for another fare (confirmed by one driver), and I saved the airport surcharge. Call me 'cheap' if you like but having to wait for probably half an hour or more for a taxi and THEN having to pay for the privilege of waiting and waiting and more waiting, not really... 

The same thing happened to me a month ago. 

However, I just walked up to one of the counters with my baby and asked for a taxi immediately. The new system is ineffective and slow. It doesnt work. 

Its best to just walk up and be assertive. Works for me. 

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

However, I just walked up to one of the counters with my baby and asked for a taxi immediately. The new system is ineffective and slow. It doesnt work. 

There was a queue waiting and you just walked up to the counter in front of everyone? 

In the 11 years I have lived in Thailand, no one has ever managed to jump a queue that I was waiting in and got away with it, and plenty have tried.

If luggage isn't too much of a problem, head straight out the front and catch the A1 bus to Mo Chit BTS train station  (Chatuchak Park MRT station is across the road) for 35 baht.  It's a frequent service and only about 15 mins to Mo Chit BTS .  From there you can  get plenty of taxis or use the MRT/BTS....saved me money and time the last time I used it. 

4 hours ago, davidst01 said:

Do you do the same at immigration?- look I have a baby me first! Disgraceful behavior no wonder the queue is slow with people pushing in front.

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

Do you do the same at immigration?- look I have a baby me first! Disgraceful behavior no wonder the queue is slow with people pushing in front.

Agree completly with you.

Not only those who have a baby do that.

Friend of mine came back last week and he said he have seen at the queue peoples try to skip it buy walking at the sides of the queue.

He also said some ladies from immigration stand there looking and send them back if they see them do it. But then they back off 2-3 meter and push back in the group.

12 hours ago, davidst01 said:

People who jump queues are beneath contempt. It's a selfish and antisocial thing to do. 

6 hours ago, Foexie said:

Agree completly with you.

Not only those who have a baby do that.

Friend of mine came back last week and he said he have seen at the queue peoples try to skip it buy walking at the sides of the queue.

He also said some ladies from immigration stand there looking and send them back if they see them do it. But then they back off 2-3 meter and push back in the group.

Probably from australia.

16 hours ago, davidst01 said:

One guess ...  your australian   ..?

On 27/03/2017 at 2:52 PM, davidst01 said:

Selfish behavior, wot just coz u got a baby with u.

Lucky I wasn't in that queue, u would hav been frogmarched right to the bac.

???

Arrived at DMK on Tues eve this week, all the queues to the desks were right back to the other side of the terminal. The private"Taxi Service" desk back down the other end of the hall said 15 minutes wait and 750b. Walked up to departures and grabbed one straight away for 500b he pay tolls. Wasn't in the mood to argue as it was pissing it down with rain at the time and could see that the journey was going to take ages already.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, thai3 said:

This Tues eve at immigration at DMK the officer who stands behind the desks overseeing them all marched up one of the queues and pulled aside a family with a baby and a 3-4 yr old waiting. He took them to a desk back down the other end of the area and instructed the officer there to process them straight away.

So it works both ways! 

Just got back from Bangers and yes, the taxi situation was as advertised. Went to the official spot and the waiting area was stuffed full. Sod this thinks I and up to departures, taxi guy just dropping off so ask him Sukhumvit and he says sure. Meter on, 120 baht for the tollway and away I run.
I am all for playing by the rules but when the rules are that broken I feel no obligation to follow them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/27/2017 at 5:43 AM, possum1931 said:

There was a queue waiting and you just walked up to the counter in front of everyone? 

In the 11 years I have lived in Thailand, no one has ever managed to jump a queue that I was waiting in and got away with it, and plenty have tried.

You da man. You teach them.

Last time, I just walked to the departures area and took a taxi there as someone was going down. No problem.

The time before, I couldn't find a taxi there, so I just walked to the main road in front of the airport and flagged a taxi that was driving by.

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, soihok said:

Are there any Airport Limo's available at DM?

Will be wanting to go to Korat.

I couldn't find any there now a Cpl weeks ago. There is a separate "Taxi" counter but it's not advertised as a limo service and they weren't very helpful. No AOT limo service like at BKK. Booking a service in advance to meet you would seem to be best for you.

• 4 weeks later...

i've used DMK every month for two years.  i always go to departures level.  and taxi there has always used meter to go to mochit BTS.  i took taxi all the way to sukhumvit a few times (mid afternoon) and changed to mochit bts due to traffic issues.

I mentioned this option (finding a taxi at Departures) to someone the other day, having recalled reading about it here and elsewhere.  They replied that security doesn't allow it, that they'll wave people away from the cabs and make you to go the queue?  Untrue, true sometimes depending on the day or guards, or is it just a matter of grabbing a cab when the guards aren' t looking?

On 5/15/2017 at 8:32 AM, Katia said:

I mentioned this option (finding a taxi at Departures) to someone the other day, having recalled reading about it here and elsewhere.  They replied that security doesn't allow it, that they'll wave people away from the cabs and make you to go the queue?  Untrue, true sometimes depending on the day or guards, or is it just a matter of grabbing a cab when the guards aren' t looking?

I've never had a problem at either airport. One time at Suvarnabhumii a cop asked me where I was going as I went through the gate the wrong way. I said Bangkok. 555555

On 3/27/2017 at 2:52 PM, davidst01 said:

And imagine how wonderful life would be if everyone in the queue was just as assertive. 

On 5/15/2017 at 8:32 AM, Katia said:

one time the taxi driver had to pay the security guy 20thb.  i returned to DMK from buriram on wednesday and walked right by two security guards as i entered my taxi on the departure level. 

i don't bother with this strategy at suvarnabhumi as i'll take the airport link during the day.  when i arrive btwn 10pm and 1am via overseas flights,  i just go to the taxi queues on the lower floor as there is never a line.  i can only guess the tour groups take buses and not taxis.  there always seem to be alot of people in immigration line but not the taxi line.

Archived