"New" taxi queuing system at Don Mueang airport

UTH001

Do the taxis at DM Aiport turn on the meter or are they the usual thai thieves that argue to turn on the meter and try to rob farang passengers as it unfortunately happens to often from Suvarnabhumi airport? As I always now use Uber, whether in lovelly Thailand or abroad, was wondering if things were better from DM Airport?

On 5/28/2017 at 8:46 AM, Editorial said:

Do the taxis at DM Aiport turn on the meter or are they the usual thai thieves that argue to turn on the meter and try to rob farang passengers as it unfortunately happens to often from Suvarnabhumi airport? As I always now use Uber, whether in lovelly Thailand or abroad, was wondering if things were better from DM Airport?

i know what you mean about the 'no meter' stuff at suvarnabhumi when you try to get a taxi at departures/check in level.  i used to deal with that, paying 400thb (no meter).  but then i started to take the airport link during the day and use the taxi queue on arrivals level at night (after 9pm).  i haven't seen a line at the arrivals level in a few years.  i always get the meter when using that queue at arrivals.

as for DMK, when i get a taxi at departures level to mochit BTS, they always use the meter.  no haggling at all.  in the past, i used to go all the way to sukhumvit area via taxi and then i did have to deal with the 'no meter' thing.  in some cases, they wouldn't even go there for any price.  with all the traffic in bangkok, i've given up on taxis into the center of town.  i use the BTS/MRT to get somewhere close to my destination and then get a taxi or walk from there.  what isn't good at DMK is the long lines at the regular taxi queue, much better to get a taxi at departure level.

I must have gotten there at a slow time. I walked up, got my number and walked directly to a taxi. There were probably 20 taxis lined up and available.

• 2 weeks later...

i used the taxi queue system at DMK three times last 10 days.  i was traveling with friends and they had alot of luggage.  so a bit of a hassle to do my usual walk up to departures to get a taxi rather than use the queue on arrivals level.

the first time i got number 700 and they were serving 690.  waited only about 5 minutes.  i think they had some kind of a 'glitch' as they were stuck on 693 for most of that time.

the next two times, there were 50 people in front of me (example, i had number 683, they were serving 633).  i waited about 15 minutes.  not too bad.  and the waiting room has air con and some drinks/snacks for sale.

I flew down from Phitsanulok with a Thai work mate on Tuesday (to terminal 2) and as we came out the exit from the baggage reclaim and I turned left towards the taxi rank he said No. We ended up turning right and went to the taxi queue in terminal 1. Nobody waiting in line and about a dozen taxi drivers waiting. Plus there is none of that stupid ticketing system there either.

I know what I'm doing in future..................:smile:

On 6/16/2017 at 11:38 PM, chrisinth said:

I flew down from Phitsanulok with a Thai work mate on Tuesday (to terminal 2) and as we came out the exit from the baggage reclaim and I turned left towards the taxi rank he said No. We ended up turning right and went to the taxi queue in terminal 1. Nobody waiting in line and about a dozen taxi drivers waiting. Plus there is none of that stupid ticketing system there either.

I know what I'm doing in future..................:smile:

that is interesting.  i took a taxi to DMK and he didn't want to go to departures drop off, claimed too many cars, etc...  so he dropped me off at arrivals level (term 2).  on the way, we went by terminal 1 and i saw some taxis there but wasn't sure if that was a queue or not.  not a bad plan to use that one.

6 minutes ago, buick said:

that is interesting.  i took a taxi to DMK and he didn't want to go to departures drop off, claimed too many cars, etc...  so he dropped me off at arrivals level (term 2).  on the way, we went by terminal 1 and i saw some taxis there but wasn't sure if that was a queue or not.  not a bad plan to use that one.

Works great, just did it a second time. No wait at all, but will obviously depend on the arrivals of international flights.

• 1 month later...

Archived