Chumphon province celebrates its first same-sex wedding

Chumphon province celebrates its first same-sex wedding

c.png

Although same-sex marriage is not yet legal in Thailand, an increase in same-sex weddings will hopefully be a step toward legalizing all kinds of love.

The southern province of Chumphon celebrated its first wedding between two women yesterday. Jiranan “Tik” Piriyatantisupa, 30, wore a tux when she married her partner, Saowanee “Jub Jang” Yuanchereon, 26, in a traditional Thai wedding ceremony at Loft Mania Hotel, Work Point reported.

Tik led the Khan Mak, or groom’ parade, and paid THB400,000 in dowry to honor her girlfriend.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/chumphon-province-celebrates-first-sex-wedding-photos/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-03-27

There is some truth to the premise in the O.P. that same sex wedding ceremonies even without any legal meaning can be useful in movements towards legal marriage equality. It has started that way in other nations. I see no reason why Thailand can't eventually join the equality club someday. 

Still the same fundamentalist comments on here, "repair them or terminate them in the womb".

Whatever their sexuality and sexual preferences, they are still people who are all someone's children and generally loved by their families and partners, unless they too hold these old fashioned fear reactions. 

There is nothing to repair or terminate except prejudices from people who are neither disadvantaged nor affected by people who prefer same-sex partners. 

Thailand has a long tradition of acceptance and protection of different sexual preferences, viz katoeys/ladyboys/gender reassignment surgery, only tradition standing in the way of same-sex marriage, that will change.

I am a happily married heterosexual man with two young boys whom I will continue to love and cherish whatever consensual relationships they decide to enter in the future.

I support the right of gay marriage, as a civil rights (legal) issue.  However, I think legalizing gay marriage in Thailand is going to have some unintended consequences.  As pictured in the headline, there will be a marked increase in marriages between women and tomboys.  Lesbianism has been on the rise in Thailand, mostly because of the unsuitability of most Thai males for marriage.  That will drive down the birth rate.  Not saying any of this is bad, just unintended consequences.

4 hours ago, Olik said:

Yes, some people may hate us for this position. But an open mind functions well as an open parachute does. It looks ideal from my perspective that we push the normal heterosexual wedding practice--a bride is for a groom. It preserves the basic unit of society, which is the family, hence marriage laws have been ratified and implemented since time immemorial. As a father of 2 kids, I surely want an ideal marriage for my kids' future when their time comes. However if anyone of them deviates from the normal way, I will do my best to counsel them on what is best for them. We love the person; we hate the sin. 

Two people who care about each other ARE a family.

So I suppose people who do not want to or cannot have children also should not be married?

4 hours ago, Olik said:

Yes, some people may hate us for this position. But an open mind functions well as an open parachute does. It looks ideal from my perspective that we push the normal heterosexual wedding practice--a bride is for a groom. It preserves the basic unit of society, which is the family, hence marriage laws have been ratified and implemented since time immemorial. As a father of 2 kids, I surely want an ideal marriage for my kids' future when their time comes. However if anyone of them deviates from the normal way, I will do my best to counsel them on what is best for them. We love the person; we hate the sin. 

How would you "counsel" them? Put them in conversion therapy or some barbaric thing like that?

Do you have the slightest idea how gay kids feel when they have parents like that? It's ABUSIVE. Psychological abuse is usually much more hurtful than physical. 

Typical moralistic pseudo religious poppycock. Hate the sin. What about the sin of hypocrisy ... the position you espouse is unadulterated intolerance of a normal fact of life ... some people are gay, and DECENT parents love their gay children unconditionally not painting being gay as less than or a sin. 

1 hour ago, zaphod reborn said:

I support the right of gay marriage, as a civil rights (legal) issue.  However, I think legalizing gay marriage in Thailand is going to have some unintended consequences.  As pictured in the headline, there will be a marked increase in marriages between women and tomboys.  Lesbianism has been on the rise in Thailand, mostly because of the unsuitability of most Thai males for marriage.  That will drive down the birth rate.  Not saying any of this is bad, just unintended consequences.

Your theory of Thai lesbianism seems to be based on a bizarre personal theory without any substantiation. That's OK but you present it as some kind of definitive fact. I'm calling that out as B.S. 

Please bear in mind that the energy and consciousness that people call God is neither male nor female.  It is only here on earth that there are two sexes, and that for a very definite reason, including the propagation of the species and allowing souls to gain experience on earth from the perspective of both males and females. 

But some people are also born gay, and that is also part of the Divine plan.  The one reason why this happens is that their soul requires or desires that type of experience, as part of its growth.   Another is that people who have had a number of lives as a female, and then take incarnation as a male, could well end up being effeminate and gay.  Similarly people who have had many lives as a male and then take incarnation in a female body could exhibit stereotypical masculine appearance or behaviour.  (Yes, believe it or not, our souls do take repeated incarnations on earth, although some people cannot get their minds to cross that hurdle.)  Then there is also the law of cause and effect to consider.  What you sow, you reap.  Continually condemn or ridicule a gay person, and you will probably end up gay yourself in a future life, and be on the receiving end of the same treatment that you deal out now, so that you can learn humility, compassion, understanding, acceptance and various other virtues that the religions of the world try to teach us.  That could also be a reason why some people are born gay, but not necessarily.

The problem is that much of humanity is ignorant of the two most fundamental laws of nature, namely the law of cause and effect and the law of rebirth.

As Shakespeare wrote, ‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

And next week a widowed farmer will marry his cow that he is so dearly fond of.( don't tell the donkey as he might kick up a fuss).

We were talking same genders within same species not cross species and would be pointless relationship since cow and human don't have enough genetic material the same to produce offspring. If you said Michael Jackson had married an ape that would be more plausible. 

Weird, I'm still getting notifications despite my post having "vanished", so I'll post it again.

This is absolutely unnecessary. While I support the right for everyone to be free of harm, I believe that changing the meaning of marriage, no matter how, is the first big step towards society destruction. It's up to us to decide what we want: A society where a family is "a man and a woman with children", or any other kind of stuff. Marriage is a way to officially register your love and start a family, not an opportunity to get media attention when you're trying to "westernize" a traditional country.

I have absolutely no problem with homosexuals doing their own thing in the bedroom - in fact, my wife's sister is a lesbian, and they get treated like any human being should be treated. What I have a problem with is people trying to force others to accept this as "normal" while in fact it is not.

In short, do whatever you want, and people should respect you for it, but if you choose to do something against basic human functions, it's okay, but please do not force it on us.

4 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Weird, I'm still getting notifications despite my post having "vanished", so I'll post it again.

This is absolutely unnecessary. While I support the right for everyone to be free of harm, I believe that changing the meaning of marriage, no matter how, is the first big step towards society destruction. It's up to us to decide what we want: A society where a family is "a man and a woman with children", or any other kind of stuff. Marriage is a way to officially register your love and start a family, not an opportunity to get media attention when you're trying to "westernize" a traditional country.

I have absolutely no problem with homosexuals doing their own thing in the bedroom - in fact, my wife's sister is a lesbian, and they get treated like any human being should be treated. What I have a problem with is people trying to force others to accept this as "normal" while in fact it is not.

In short, do whatever you want, and people should respect you for it, but if you choose to do something against basic human functions, it's okay, but please do not force it on us.

Other people's marriages don't threaten yours.

Same sex marriage doesn't make societies fall apart. 

Yes it's up to us what we want.

You want to marry a woman and have kids, go ahead.

You don't want to marry a person of the same sex, don't do it.

You want to discriminate against gay people and not allow them civil rights because they don't physically breed, then force fertility tests and breeding pledges from straight marriages and null them if they don't produce. Ban all marriages of women past menopause. Otherwise, society falls apart!:shock1:

Some of my best friends/relatives are B.S. is a transparent rationalization ploy for discrimination. So really big of you to suggest gay people should be treated as humans! Wow. It's like you're the Abe Lincoln of gay people. Have a medal. Take two.

Nobody is forcing you to get gay married. If you don't want to, don't. If you don't approve, don't accept any invitations to such events if you get them.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, zaphod reborn said:

"Lesbianism has been on the rise in Thailand, mostly because of the unsuitability of most Thai males for marriage."

What a load of BS

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, SiamBeast said:

"if you choose to do something against basic human functions, it's okay, but please do not force it on us. "

In what way are you forced on when 2 people marry? You have nothing to do with it.

Archived