Highway chief: Speeding drivers responsible for 85% of accidents

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally bs,accidents happen because fortuners drive on the right lane with 80 instead of 120.Also speedlimit is 120,on a  four lane motor way in a normal country  left lane would drive 90,next lane 100,3rd lane 110,right lane 120,here in thailand ,left lane nobody use or use it for passing,2nd lane drive 60 3rd lane 120,right lane [fortuner]80.This is what it makes dangerous to drive on Motorway here.In germany we have the "Autobahn' that's a motorway without speed limit on some parts,and believe it or not,more accidents happen in the city than on the motorway,besides that the discipline  and  driving skills of thais totally suck.Nobody uses a mirror,nobody use signal while changing lane,thais can't guess the speed of other cars,thais afraid to drive car in general,overcareful driving,just to a name a few examples

Of course excessive speed is the problem... I'll bet they never had as many fatalities when everyone used a wooden cart pulled by a buffalo. 

Which is what most of them think they're still driving....! 

10 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Of course excessive speed is the problem... I'll bet they never had as many fatalities when everyone used a wooden cart pulled by a buffalo. 

Yes Steve, but the Buffaloes have more road sense.....:whistling:

Note this moron never says the cops are out there like in most Farlang countries actually doing there job and fining and or arresting these criminal moron drivers. Aside from the fact driving licence comes out of a cereal pack when having breakfast. The rules in a test are a joke eg zebra crossing-waste of paint :-)

3 hours ago, alocacoc said:

I'm sure speeding is an bigger problem than alcohol.

But, there are also plenty of cars which are driving way too slow. I don't know what's wrong with them.

You don't see many drivers speeding where I live in Isaan!

As for going slow, plenty of em!!! I reckon they are at there limit going the speed they go and incapable of driving any faster! in other words they are unfit to drive!

Yet they all manage to make as much "noise" as possible!

41 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

In germany we have the "Autobahn' that's a motorway without speed limit on some parts,and believe it or not,more accidents happen in the city than on the motorway,besides that the discipline  and  driving skills of thais totally suck.

This might be true. But I bet, much more people dying on the Autobahn. And, not to mention the heavy multiple crashes as soon some fog appears or it starts to snowing. I think there is no other country in Europe where this happen so often.

Massenkarambolage-auf-der-A31-im-Muenste

Another phenomena are the ghost drivers. Drivers who drive in the wrong direction on the Autobahn. Happen almost every day. So, I wouldn't take Germany as an example for safety roads.

31 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Oh give me forty acres and I'll turn this buffalo around. 

The police chief is absolutely correct as to speed being the cause of accidents.  The motorways are notorious for people driving way over 120kph.  The side roads are also driven way too fast by almost every driver and no one slows down because of road conditions or rain. Abd what is as bad is the foreigners who try and imitate the Thais by driving too fast and recklessly.

Only thing that will stop it is speeding tickets that are costly. I used to drive in California but not over the speed limit- a speeding ticket costs about $500.  That's enough to make people obey the speed limit.

Until the Thai Police stop setting up silly road blocks and actually get vehicles and use radar and give out real tickets- nothing will change.

7 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

This might be true. But I bet, much more people dying on the Autobahn. And, not to mention the heavy multiple crashes as soon some fog appears or it starts to snowing. I think there is no other country in Europe where this happen so often.

Another phenomena are the ghost drivers. Drivers who drive in the wrong direction on the Autobahn. Happen almost every day. So, I wouldn't take Germany as an example for safety roads.

Please have a look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Make Cities 50km zone, innercities 30 km zone highway 90 km,busses minivans 80km.These roads not really suitable to drive faster that this speed.Also pedestrians need some chance to cross roads.Sure will safe a lot of lives once implemented.

Make the speed limits what ever you like but while everyone ignores the rules, that's drivers and police, not one thing will change. 

27 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

What an absolute load of crap, assume you didn't bother checking any statistics. 

50 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

The rules in a test are a joke eg zebra crossing-waste of paint :-)

Zebra's are for good luck...you no understaaan...when crossing a road you need good luck in case you forgot to bring your amulet.

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

Relatively high numbers comparing to Sweden, Switzerland, Netherlands and so on.

Oh well,when I was in sweden I didn't see  car for 3days,and Netherlands the speedlimit on motorways is 100km/h and police is enforcing very strict,and Switzerland is famous for doing things a bit slow,oh man I guess I stay to long in Thailand already I have an stupid excuse for everything

4 hours ago, RandG said:

Interesting that in TV forums, it is always the fault of the Thais, lack of enforcement, van drivers etc. A great deal of this is very true, but see plenty of "westerners" riding on the wrong side of the road, drunk, no helmets, no lights, riding around with whole family on bike, despite never having been on a bike in their life, no insurance, etc., etc. What's their excuse? In their own countries would in general not do it, so cannot blame lack of awareness. Only other "excuse" is lack of enforcement, which is zero excuse.

yes I have to say that there are some good points you have raised.  It never ceases to amaze me that in the West you are brought up from the earliest age to respect road safety criteria. Nowadays it is almost instinctive to put on your seat belt before driving off in your car or putting on your helmet prior to moving off on your bike.   However there seems to be some kind of brain washing effect above 10,000 metres altitude because so many people land in Thailand and have scant regard for those safety measures that was drilled into them. Stupid idiots ride around with no helmets in their hundreds and I have lost count of the Farangs I see not bothering to buckle up. For Christ sake this is Thailand,  the second most dangerous place on the planet to drive,  so why is it that they now think they are immortal ?

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Make the speed limits what ever you like but while everyone ignores the rules, that's drivers and police, not one thing will change. 

Cops need write out much more tickets for all kind of traffic violations then long term drivers will adjust their drive style.

56 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

yes I have to say that there are some good points you have raised.  It never ceases to amaze me that in the West you are brought up from the earliest age to respect road safety criteria. Nowadays it is almost instinctive to put on your seat belt before driving off in your car or putting on your helmet prior to moving off on your bike.   However there seems to be some kind of brain washing effect above 10,000 metres altitude because so many people land in Thailand and have scant regard for those safety measures that was drilled into them. Stupid idiots ride around with no helmets in their hundreds and I have lost count of the Farangs I see not bothering to buckle up. For Christ sake this is Thailand,  the second most dangerous place on the planet to drive,  so why is it that they now think they are immortal ?

think if you carefully and correctly analysed the real road deaths in Thailand - LOS would be the top roadkill nation on earth.

Archived