Jump to content

Highway chief: Speeding drivers responsible for 85% of accidents


webfact

Recommended Posts

The police chief is absolutely correct as to speed being the cause of accidents.  The motorways are notorious for people driving way over 120kph.  The side roads are also driven way too fast by almost every driver and no one slows down because of road conditions or rain. Abd what is as bad is the foreigners who try and imitate the Thais by driving too fast and recklessly.

Only thing that will stop it is speeding tickets that are costly. I used to drive in California but not over the speed limit- a speeding ticket costs about $500.  That's enough to make people obey the speed limit.

Until the Thai Police stop setting up silly road blocks and actually get vehicles and use radar and give out real tickets- nothing will change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

This might be true. But I bet, much more people dying on the Autobahn. And, not to mention the heavy multiple crashes as soon some fog appears or it starts to snowing. I think there is no other country in Europe where this happen so often.

 

Massenkarambolage-auf-der-A31-im-Muenste

 

Another phenomena are the ghost drivers. Drivers who drive in the wrong direction on the Autobahn. Happen almost every day. So, I wouldn't take Germany as an example for safety roads.

Please have a look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Make Cities 50km zone, innercities 30 km zone highway 90 km,busses minivans 80km.These roads not really suitable to drive faster that this speed.Also pedestrians need some chance to cross roads.Sure will safe a lot of lives once implemented.

Make the speed limits what ever you like but while everyone ignores the rules, that's drivers and police, not one thing will change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

This might be true. But I bet, much more people dying on the Autobahn. And, not to mention the heavy multiple crashes as soon some fog appears or it starts to snowing. I think there is no other country in Europe where this happen so often.

 

Massenkarambolage-auf-der-A31-im-Muenste

 

Another phenomena are the ghost drivers. Drivers who drive in the wrong direction on the Autobahn. Happen almost every day. So, I wouldn't take Germany as an example for safety roads.

What an absolute load of crap, assume you didn't bother checking any statistics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

The rules in a test are a joke eg zebra crossing-waste of paint :-)

Zebra's are for good luck...you no understaaan...when crossing a road you need good luck in case you forgot to bring your amulet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that 85% of accidents were caused by driving at too high speeds.

This needs to be: He said that 100% of accidents were caused by driving at too high speeds. Thai style !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

Relatively high numbers comparing to Sweden, Switzerland, Netherlands and so on.

Oh well,when I was in sweden I didn't see  car for 3days,and Netherlands the speedlimit on motorways is 100km/h and police is enforcing very strict,and Switzerland is famous for doing things a bit slow,oh man I guess I stay to long in Thailand already I have an stupid excuse for everything

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RandG said:

Interesting that in TV forums, it is always the fault of the Thais, lack of enforcement, van drivers etc. A great deal of this is very true, but see plenty of "westerners" riding on the wrong side of the road, drunk, no helmets, no lights, riding around with whole family on bike, despite never having been on a bike in their life, no insurance, etc., etc. What's their excuse? In their own countries would in general not do it, so cannot blame lack of awareness. Only other "excuse" is lack of enforcement, which is zero excuse.

yes I have to say that there are some good points you have raised.  It never ceases to amaze me that in the West you are brought up from the earliest age to respect road safety criteria. Nowadays it is almost instinctive to put on your seat belt before driving off in your car or putting on your helmet prior to moving off on your bike.   However there seems to be some kind of brain washing effect above 10,000 metres altitude because so many people land in Thailand and have scant regard for those safety measures that was drilled into them. Stupid idiots ride around with no helmets in their hundreds and I have lost count of the Farangs I see not bothering to buckle up. For Christ sake this is Thailand,  the second most dangerous place on the planet to drive,  so why is it that they now think they are immortal ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is Do the police actually know the road rules themselves I am sure Thai drivers dont Speed in town 80 klms They do 120 Klms Oh thats right they dont understand english 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Make the speed limits what ever you like but while everyone ignores the rules, that's drivers and police, not one thing will change. 

Cops need write out much more tickets for all kind of traffic violations then long term drivers will adjust their drive style.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done chief! Now you can just file your summary away and bring it out again and dust it off (just change the dates) this time next year because nothing will have changed in the meantime:saai:

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

yes I have to say that there are some good points you have raised.  It never ceases to amaze me that in the West you are brought up from the earliest age to respect road safety criteria. Nowadays it is almost instinctive to put on your seat belt before driving off in your car or putting on your helmet prior to moving off on your bike.   However there seems to be some kind of brain washing effect above 10,000 metres altitude because so many people land in Thailand and have scant regard for those safety measures that was drilled into them. Stupid idiots ride around with no helmets in their hundreds and I have lost count of the Farangs I see not bothering to buckle up. For Christ sake this is Thailand,  the second most dangerous place on the planet to drive,  so why is it that they now think they are immortal ?

think if you carefully and correctly analysed the real road deaths in Thailand - LOS would be the top roadkill nation on earth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...